INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metadata in Images  (Read 2331 times)

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Metadata in Images
« on: July 30, 2011, 06:26:51 am »

I have downloaded a lot of cover art from the internet and in Windows file explorer I can see that some of the images (.jpg) contain text, including offensive language, in fields called Comments, Author and Copyright. I have imported the cover art into MC, but I cannot see all that text in the MC tag action panel so that I can remove it. Am I doing something wrong or are not all metadata for images imported into MC fields?

I have already embedded the cover art in my music files. I wonder if the metadata get embedded as well so that my music files now are forever tainted by that offensive language.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Metadata in Images
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:08:33 pm »

Try mp3tag for these files.  You can manage large comments, etc. in the Extended tags.  Right click a track, Extended tags.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

vagskal

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

It is the metadata in the .jpg files I want to edit/delete (with MC).

MP3Tag cannot read .jpg files as such, and MP3Tag is not displaying possible metadata in images embedded in the music files (and I wonder if this means that the metadata are stripped when embedding or if they are just not shown in MP3Tag).

MrC

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 12:27:35 pm »

Can you share a sample of such a file, or post a link where I can grab on?

vagskal

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:35:36 am »

Sorry for the delay. Here is a link to a sample file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21288641/Booklet-2.jpg

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:47:09 am »

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 05:26:53 am »

Thanks for the tip. As I understood the documentation for that tool I would have to drop the image files on the application. Since I have some +36k cover art files spread across almost 9k folders that is not practicable.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:59:26 am »

Perhaps xnview could help?

It has a batch processing tool that you can point to a folder, where it will search it, plus all sub folders for images, then, on the transformations tab, you can add the "Clean Metadata" task, choose what tag blocks to clean (remove) and set it to work.

AcdSee does not display the "XPComment" tag in your booklet-2 file, but xnview does, along with the others. It will do a good job of cleaning all that up, (I tested) but note that all tags in each specified block will be removed.

That will take care of external image files. As far as your 'saved in files' images go, I think you are going to have to remove and resave the images inside the files.

-marko

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 10:49:25 am »

I was going to suggest exactly the same as marko. xnview's "batch processing" feature can do what you want.

Regarding the embedded images, I wouldn't be too worried about them. I don't think any player application is designed to display image metadata that is tagged inside the embedded image files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

vagskal

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 11:33:52 am »

Thanks to all who helped!

xnview seems to be working. xnview ran out of memory when I tried to batch process many .jpg files at once, but searching for specific words and then batch process just those files in reasonable batches seems to be working.

As for the embedded images, I think I just leave them. Come to think of it I have intentionally embedded lyrics with worse language...

Thanks again for the tip regarding xnview! That free program could even give life to the couple of funny animated gif:s I got from a friend the other day. This was something that MC could not do, which surprised me since I have read in the forums how MC now can automagically move the pictures in practically any video file out there.

MrC

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 12:13:11 pm »

... I would have to drop the image files on the application. Since I have some +36k cover art files spread across almost 9k folders that is not practicable.

Not so.  It is a command line tool, that can recursively work through directory trees, selecting files that match criteria.  You can also drive it from any scripting language / shell.

vagskal

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »

Not so.  It is a command line tool, that can recursively work through directory trees, selecting files that match criteria.  You can also drive it from any scripting language / shell.

Oh, I did not know that, but a command line interface might have been more complicated than I could manage (but with your kind and pedagogic help I am sure we could have made it work; I read the clear instructions regarding .bat files you gave recently in another thread and it was the first time - I hope - I understood how they worked).

I am sticking with xnview for the time being. It will take a while to clean up all files though since xnview seems to run out of memory and must be restarted after cleaning about 500 files.

Thanks again for your help and your valuable posts in these forums!

MrC

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 01:01:06 pm »

The best tool for the job is the one that works for you!

There are cases where drag/drop and UIs works fine.

But sometimes, jobs are best done in a more directed fashion, where you have more control.

Don't let various scripting languages intimidated you.  Many useful ones are pretty trivial to understand.  You're clearly up to the task! :-)

My least favorite is Windows cmd.exe scripting - its hokey, toy-ish, and weak, and spent years trying to play catchup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up