INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving the whole thing to the new computer  (Read 1038 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Moving the whole thing to the new computer
« on: March 31, 2003, 04:37:59 am »

Hi all,

Just ordered my new computer  ;D  Hope it will come for the week-end.

I need your advice for moving the whole thing to the new computer.

I have all my music files splitted into 4 directories of an external Firewire 160 GB HD. The assigned device letter of this HD is "E". There are some 25.000 tracks (circa 100 GB worth) Therefore, my current library points to files in the "E" path.

I have asked the computer shop to let the drive "E" of the new computer to be the second internal 120 GB HD. I do not know if they will do so, but if they do, I plan to hook the Firewire disc to the new computer and copy all the stuff into the "E" drive of the new computer. If I succeed, all the files in the new computer will have the same exact path as they had in the old computer.

Then, I plan to backup my library from the old computer, install the SAME EXACT version of MJ8 in the new computer and restore the library. Doing so, I understand that I will recover all my playlists, view schemes, and "only MJ database" fields such as "Album Artist", etc.

I could probably take the chance to upgrade to MC9 now, but I rather prefer to make sure that the new computer, the new soundcard, etc. works OK with a version of MJ that worked flawlessly on my old computer so that if problems arise less things have to be checked. Also, I'm one of those "fear-betaversions" and reading the thread of the current build of MC9 does not make me feel comfortable to upgrade yet.

Now, my questions:

1.- Is the above transfer procedure correct? Would recommend a different one? Shall I lose anything such as playlists or database tags (Album Artist)?

2.- In the event that the drive "E" of the new computer is assigned to a different device (DVD, CDRW or other one) and I'm forced to put my music in drive "G" (for instance) what would then be the best procedure? How can I tell the database that all the files whose path was "E:..... something" is now "G:.... something"? Can I do a "find and replace" thing?

I thank you in advance for your help and suggestions  :)

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: Moving the whole thing to the new computer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 04:52:57 am »

Hi David,

1- Yep that seem ok to me if you can fit all your tracks from your 16OG external drive to the internal 120G drive and if everything points to E:/blabla.. then your previous library files (*.jmd) should work fine.

2- If your new PC comes with WinXP installed then it is quite easy to change the drive letters and to assign one of your liking.

On my XP system I have set up DVD-ROM as X: Burner as Y: and HDDs as C: D: E: F: G:. My music is all on E: like yours.

MC9 offers better tools for tags management, field moving etc.. but I think you're right playing it the easy way. Check that everyting is Ok with your new hardware and MJ8 then when the official MC9 is out, dive !

Hope this helps and let us know,

have a nice day, well,  nice evening down in Barcelona !

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
Re: Moving the whole thing to the new computer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 06:02:35 am »

Thank you very much for your help, Christian. I'll let you know.

By the way, yes... the new PC will come with Windows XP Home pre-installed so I hope I will not have problems to set the drive letter to suit my needs.

Thanks again. Hive a nice day you too  ;)

Pages: [1]   Go Up