INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MC 16.x work correct as a Media Server on WHS 2011  (Read 1782 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Does MC 16.x work correct as a Media Server on WHS 2011
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:36:43 am »

Further to my other question regarding moving to Library Server - does anyone have any comments (bad or good) about running Media Center on the new Windows Home Server 2011 - specifically as a Media Server instance?

I assume it should be fine - but thought I would ask first before getting crazy over here :)

Cheers,

VP

Vocalpoint

Re: Does MC 16.x work correct as a Media Server on WHS 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:51:22 am »

Looks like I found the answer.... :-[

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63525.0

Seems that WHS will not run MC as a Media Server when I log off my server....so much for that idea.

VP

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »

Did you see / try the last post here?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63159.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

akamia

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:13:22 am »

No problems. It works fine.
Server2016 / OMV3 / JRiver 22 / JRemote / Denon X4000 / Vu+Solo4k / CCU2 / ioBroker / FHEM

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:11:44 am »

No problems. It works fine.

"Fine" via what method? Are you leaving the server logged on as a user?

VP

icanrule

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:04:32 pm »

I ended up doing the same thing with WHS v1.  It required a login so I did the following which should also work on 2011:

1. visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324737.  That will explain how to log into the computer on reboot. 
2. Create a shortcut in the startup menu directing to rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation.

The first steps logs the computer in when it first boots up.  The second one locks the profile so that no one can gain access to your system while away.

Because of this setup if I ever have to log into the machine I now just use remote access with parameters /console /admin so that I can continue to log into the profile that it is logged into.  It's a long way around the problem but I have been running it on version 1 for years now and it is a great solution.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 05:39:33 pm »

I ended up doing the same thing with WHS v1.  It required a login so I did the following which should also work on 2011:

1. visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324737.  That will explain how to log into the computer on reboot. 
2. Create a shortcut in the startup menu directing to rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation.

The first steps logs the computer in when it first boots up.  The second one locks the profile so that no one can gain access to your system while away.

Because of this setup if I ever have to log into the machine I now just use remote access with parameters /console /admin so that I can continue to log into the profile that it is logged into.  It's a long way around the problem but I have been running it on version 1 for years now and it is a great solution.

Sweet. Do tell more on "remote access with parameters /console /admin"

I have a Remote desktop icon that I use to remote into the server. How are you using these parameters?

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up