INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist Images in Theater View - More Control?  (Read 11132 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Artist Images in Theater View - More Control?
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:31:46 am »

I just started using Theater View to listen to music, and I really like the Artist Image slideshow. Is there any way to control what images are included? It would be great to be able to manually and remove images to the slideshow. The slideshow for The Gourds, for example, primarily consists of honeydew melons  :P

kensn

• MC Beta Team
Re: Artist Images in Theater View - More Control?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:17:42 pm »

If you remove Google from the sources that it pulls from, the pictures you get will be more relevent, but there will also be fewer.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:09:10 am »

If you remove Google from the sources that it pulls from, the pictures you get will be more relevent, but there will also be fewer.

Ken

Thanks for the reply. I finally found the Media Slideshow Settings (Tools > Options> Theater View > Theme > Online Media Slideshow for those looking) and unticked Google Images for the time being.

I'd be interested to know how images are selected, especially in the Google Images search. I know from other threads that the Artist field is used to do the search, but my own Google Images searches produce very different result than what I see in the slideshow. Are there specific size, file types, or other limitations?

Adding the option to choose a local search location (just a single folder) would be a major addition to the slideshow system. I think this would be more useful than any amount of online search improvement.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:46:09 pm »

I would like a custom tag where I could put in the search string, or directory I want to use per artist....  I hate getting Rush Limbaugh and Rush Hour pics for the band Rush... This limits me to using the Last FM engine... which is limited.

This would also be nice for movies. You could have some Metadata in the background when selecting movies, just put the movie name in the artist field...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:58:28 am »

About the online Media Slideshow for artists in Playing now in Theater view.

I got a lot pictures on my harddrive, from concerts I've been to,
Can it somehow be possible to show these in the background.

So you could have the option to scan a specific folder.
Maybe something like this

x  Google
x  LastFM
x  HTBackdrops
x  TheTVDB
x  C://Images/Artsts

I would then imagine that in this folder, you could have folders named the same as the artist, and in them have the images of the artist.

Thomas

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:45:44 am »

About the online Media Slideshow for artists in Playing now in Theater view.

So you could have the option to scan a specific folder.
Maybe something like this

x  Google
x  LastFM
x  HTBackdrops
x  TheTVDB
x  C://Images/Artsts

I think that would be an ideal solution.

It would also be great to see photos pan so we could see the entire photo. This would especially be helpful on portrait oriented images; I get tired of looking at just the hats of my favorites artists.

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:13 pm »

I plan to buy a new TV set soon and hook up MC for music playback so I had a quick look at the Theatre View on my computer screen and saw the greyed out artist images appearing automagically - really cool! I did not know you could do that; I have never seen that before on the Display View I can evoke from the Standard View, where I only can look at various distorted images derived from the cover art.

Just a quick question: Do you know if MC does a "safe search" on Google images?

I can - or rather cannot - imagine the images shown on that new big, really flat (but 3 dimensional if you wear the accompanying special glasses) screen in the living room from Google images without the safe search switched on when playing Steely Dan or Teenage Fanclub, or the one album I got from a friend by the English electronic band named Fuck Buttons (not a real problem with that one though since it is a bit of a pain to even just trying to listen to it). What I want to know is if I risk having offensive images displayed.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:07:49 pm »

Just a quick question: Do you know if MC does a "safe search" on Google images?

Yes, according to JimH here.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

vagskal

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:15:07 pm »

Good to know. Thanks for the quick response (as always)!

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:13:20 pm »

it would be nice to see a slightly wider range of pics.  The same ones pop up over and over.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 06:47:56 am »

MC should be able to recognize different type of images, and show them accordingly imo. Just as folder.jpg is used today, you could have artist.jpg (artist image), front/folder.jpg (front of CD/DVD/BR covers), back.jpg (back of  CD/DVD/BR covers), series.jpg (series image), season.jpg (season image) and so on. The correct image should be shown in the correct views. Either automatically, or perhaps even better; Check boxes in the theater view options for each view. This way, artist images could be shown when viewing artists, series images while viewing series, front/folder while viewing albums and back covers should be shown when hovering the mouse above the cover, or when you select and hit enter on a cover in theater view as an example.

To limit this to Covers and Artist only, and leave us with no manual control over it is not great. Some might like this to be automatic (like it is with artist images today), but may of the MC users I know, use this app because of the way you CAN control things. Cover/illustration images is not MC's strongest side.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:51:01 am »

Yes, some of the searches are really weird. I get sports cars and bicycles while listening to classical music ;D

The searches are good, but they should allow the user to control and refine their collections. So I replaced many artist images with preferred images that look much better.
A folder for every artist would be better, so multiple images would be allowed.

Also, it should not be restricted to artists, other field should also be available for internet search, user control and refinement. I think of fields such as actors, author, band, conductor, composer, director, orchestra, screenwriter, soloists.

Also the images during playback should be cached and user controlled.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 08:26:42 am »

it would be nice to see a slightly wider range of pics.  The same ones pop up over and over.

Agreed. I've noticed that JRiver doesn't use all of images available through Last.fm. I'm not sure what governs which images are used.

roney99

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 01:08:47 pm »

Thanks for the tip of removing Google as a source of getting images. After I upgraded I was getting a lot of people kissing when I was listening to Kiss.
Pages: [1]   Go Up