INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 96/24 files won't play in any format but ASIO  (Read 1771 times)

dtune

• Recent member
96/24 files won't play in any format but ASIO
« on: August 04, 2011, 04:05:46 pm »

I have used the product for a couple years now. I recently purchased some 24/96 files from HD tracks. My soundcard is Lynx AES16 which supports high sampling rates. When I try playback in any output format except ASIO the error message occurs to reset to 48,000 kb/s. When playback sampling rate is lowered  to 48,000kb/s the files play fine. My Alpha DAC shows sampling rates being played. I really can play at 96,000 kb/s in ASIO but no other format as confirmed by Alpha DAC readout. My preferred format is WASAPI event. Any suggestions?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 96/24 files won't play in any format but ASIO
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:13:45 pm »

ASIO is the recommended output for Lynx hardware.  This is based on personal experience, and also what their lead driver developer recommended to me.

It's common for cards to require ASIO to change their clock rate.  Both Creative and Asus cards require ASIO for a clock change (as opposed to WASAPI exclusive).

There's a little more on output modes here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »

I have used the product for a couple years now. I recently purchased some 24/96 files from HD tracks. My soundcard is Lynx AES16 which supports high sampling rates. When I try playback in any output format except ASIO the error message occurs to reset to 48,000 kb/s. When playback sampling rate is lowered  to 48,000kb/s the files play fine. My Alpha DAC shows sampling rates being played. I really can play at 96,000 kb/s in ASIO but no other format as confirmed by Alpha DAC readout. My preferred format is WASAPI event. Any suggestions?

Do the Lynx drivers allow you to set the sample rate? I would assume so. I found with my Steinberg MR816x that I had to set the sample rate in the drivers that matched the output sample rate when using WASAPI. For example, when using JRiver and WASAPI to playback a 96 K file, I had to manually change the sample rate in the drivers to 96 K. Unless using a USB DAC, ASIO is the only output format that automatically switches sample rates on the hardware.

dtune

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 05:10:08 am »

Thanks - very helpful. I can set the sample rate in the driver, but still only ASIO works for sample rates higher than 48 kb/s. On the computer audiophile site others seems to be able to run other output formats (other than ASIO) with this combination of hardware up to 192 kb/s. I have all the latest drivers and firmware.

Again thanks for the help. Still sounds quite good with ASIO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up