INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATI's REMOTE WONDER  (Read 1605 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
ATI's REMOTE WONDER
« on: May 27, 2002, 03:14:20 pm »

ATI's REMOTE WONDER

http://www.ati.com/shopati/promotions/remotewonder.html

Any Idea If Mj Supports This Or Will?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:ATI's REMOTE WONDER
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2002, 03:55:32 pm »

I think it's been around a while and I've heard it's made by X10.  We've supported the X10 for about a year.

If you want to explore using remotes, the best route is girder.  http://www.girder.nl .  It's becoming a standard.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2002, 05:07:43 pm »

The ATI remote first came out with the ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon DV 8500 video card.  It is also included with the new ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 video card which has most of the features of the DV 8500 but at a half the price.  ATI just announced that it is also available as a separately sold item named the Remote Wonder ($49.95 list).

One big difference between the ATI offering & other remotes is that it is strictly radio frequency & not inferred.  This means that it works through walls, around corners & at much greater distances than other remotes.  Mine works at 30 or more feet from the receiver (which plugs into any free USB jack on your computer).

Judging by the way the ATI products are flying off the shelves at Best Buy & other stores, it won’t be long till the ATI Remote is in the hands of millions of users.

I would suggest that JRiver think about providing ATI remote control implementation.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2002, 05:41:21 pm »

I read the ATI April 2002 Press Release, I Think It Is New JimH

At Least Something For MR. TV To Look At For Version 9
Fayetteville, NC, USA

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2002, 11:38:04 pm »

I would have to second JimH and point out that you are asking for something to be coded that is already done...

Check out Girder... There are Export groups for :-

ATI MMC
ATI DVD
ATI TV
ATI Audio CD

Admitedly these are for 3.0 / 3.1 Girder but there is a converter to the new standard of files.. There is also a Media Jukebox (7 and 8) control plug in too... The addition of a generic IR input device to a PC is cheap and generic inputs supported by Girder are ultimately so powerful I have yet to find much that i cannot automate and do...

Girder has a learning curve but its not too bad.. any problems post in their forum
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2002, 03:52:39 am »

I think I will Order It, And Check It Out, It Is Only Something Like $49
Fayetteville, NC, USA

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2002, 07:37:51 am »

Hi KingSparta

The press release you saw was probably ATI Remote Wonder which was introduced as a separate item in April.  But the remote has actually been out for almost a year now.

As I said in my previous comment in this string, the ATI remote first came out with the ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon DV 8500 video card. That was around the middle of last year. It is also included with the new ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 video card (came out in February of 2002) which has most of the features of the DV 8500 but at half the price. ATI announced (April 2002) that it is also available as a separately sold item named the Remote Wonder ($49.95 list).  ATI just announced (May 2002) a new ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon DV 8500 video card with more 128 Mb of DDR memory in addition to the other 3 cards that include the remote.  That makes 3 video cards & the separately package remote.  So as you can see, ATI plans to get the remote into the hands of a lot of users.

Have fun!!

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2002, 07:46:28 am »

Hi Phat;

Thanks for the Girder info.  I will check it out at their web site.  Would really love to get this baby working (the ATI remote that is).  I previously installed the Girder plug-in from the JRiver site but it did not work.

I noticed that you mention IR… “The addition of a generic IR input device to a PC is…”  The reason the ATI remote may not work is that it is not IR (Inferred) but is radio frequency.

I will still check out the Girder site just in case.  Thanks.

Have fun!!

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2002, 08:45:33 am »

What I was explaining badly was that by adding an IR in device and using Girder with the application plug ins you have control of all the ATI apps and control of many many other (like MJ for example)...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Ubae

It works...
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2002, 01:08:37 pm »

All,
I'm currently using the Remote Wonder that came with my All-in-Wonder 7500 under XP Professional. I was absolutely thrilled when I tried it with MJ and it worked! I am able to Play, Stop, go to the Previous Track and the Next Track. I can also control volume. It seems to work about as well as the multimedia keys on my keyboard. It would be nice to add some functionality specific to MJ though.

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2002, 01:53:19 pm »

Hi Ubae;

Yours works?  Simply wonderful!

I to, have an All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 with remote running under Win Professional XP.  Isn’t the 7500 a really wonderful card!  Best I’ve seen yet!

But I have yet to get the remote working fully under MJ8, except for volume & mute, which is universal to Win apps.

* Did you do anything special…
* Did you do a normal install?
* What version software are you running… the v7.5 that came on the original CD or the newer 7.6 from the ATI download site?
* Did you install any of the JRiver plug-ins?  I’ve tried them all & none seem to help?
* What version of MJ are you running?

Ubae

DocLotus...
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2002, 11:58:14 am »

Yeah, the AIW7500 is great. Now if I can just get the rest of my system working as well as it does Next Page I tried to use the Remote Wonder software that came on the CD, but I couldn't get it to load correctly in XP. I don't know if it was the software or an issue related to some VIA-IDE problems I've been experiencing with my new motherboard. Anyway I downloaded the software from the ATI site and it worked. I'm running 8.0.284 right now and I didn't do anything in particular to get it going. (I'm at work now and can't test it, but the first time I noticed it worked I was running full screen visualizations.)  Once I get all of my other issues worked out, I might have to give Girder a try. I don't really know anything about it, but I've heard it's pretty slick.

DocLotus

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2002, 05:18:24 pm »

Hi Ubae;

I tried Girder.  After reading all the info at the Girder site it appears that Girder was written for a universal remote inferred receiver.  The ATI remote receiver is radio frequency & I don’t think that Girder supports it.

I did get my ATI remote working.  I found that a Girder plug-in was loading.  I unloaded all remote plug-ins & now the ATI remote works!  The only funny thing is that next & previous selections sometimes jumps 2 selections.  Have you noticed the same behavior?

Sherb

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2002, 10:01:51 pm »

Just wanted to confirm that the ATI Remote works with MJ for me too.  At the keyboard, I started a playlist playing. From there, I could skip/repeat, play, stop/pause, volume control etc ...  Since the remote is RF instead of infrared, I can control MJ from all over the house Next Page

Just in case it helps, I'm running ATI 8500DV, Audigy, WinXP Pro, MJ7.2 - and the remote was installed normally.  I'm running the latest remote software that's at the ATI site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up