INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Store a server key in the database? [New way to get movie metadata]  (Read 1719 times)

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck

I've got a python script that attaches to my j river library and gets all of the movies/TV Shows, then goes off to TMDB and TheTVDB to lookup metadata.  The results are then fed back into the library.  My issue with sharing is that it the keys for accessing the two dbs aren't supposed to be shared, and I can't easily hide them in python code. 

So my thought is to create a new table, which just has the two keys.  Then my code can grab the keys from the library.  I could then post the code on the forums for people to try, and PM users a file to import the keys.  Is that a reasonable short term solution?  If so, can someone point me to a good way to create a new table?

I'm not sure if this is a good solution (or even if people are interested), so I thought I'd solicit some help and opinions.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Store a server key in the database? [New way to get movie metadata]
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:38:41 am »

Media Center already uses (with permission) TheTVDB for displaying backdrops for television shows.

What other information are you hoping to get that they provide?

If you record television, you should have metadata for the recordings as part of the guide (XMLTV, etc.).  Are you downloading instead, or just looking for more data than is available in the XMLTV data?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:45:58 am »

I'm mostly interested in dvd/bluray metadata.  So TMDB is mostly what I was after.  The two plugin options (one requires another database program, which shouldn't be needed for j river, and the other looks like development stopped) I've seen mentioned on the forums didn't look good to me.  So I rolled something of my own for TMDB. 

I'm not a tv user.  I just added TheTVDB because I have bluray rips of the Planet Earth, which aren't on TMDB.

As an aside, after my comments in the UI thread, providing this (if there's interest) seemed like a nice way to contribute....

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 11:59:27 am »

I'd like to see series synopses, episode overviews, actor info etc. all gathered. The backdrops are a great additional feature already - thanks! I too don't record video, but would like the info for ripped video files.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 12:11:45 pm »

I requested a TMDB API key for JRiver on Friday.  Hopefully we'll know in a few days if we can get permission to use the database.  It looks like they've built something really neat.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 12:27:21 pm »

Sounds like you want to make something internal to j river (better long term solution anyway, of course).

I'd be glad to beta test, then!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 01:25:26 pm »

I requested a TMDB API key for JRiver on Friday.  Hopefully we'll know in a few days if we can get permission to use the database.  It looks like they've built something really neat.

Good luck, Matt et al.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:04:41 pm »

That certainly does look like something neat.

Good Luck. The ability to view trailers etc from Theater View, and those backdrops look very cool. It'd be great if they could be implemented in MC.

sunfire7

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 12:02:41 am »

Great News!
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

stottle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:40:20 am »

To answer the original question.  I wanted to create a new table to store the keys for TMDB/TheTVDB.  It is easy and (should have been) obvious.  I put the keys in two text files, then opened up the import tab and selected Import Single Folder then Data->Text Files.

Grabs the files just fine and puts them in a Documents section of the library.  I've been using media center for years, and the Data import options never really registered.

Nice and easy.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up