INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multichannel FLAC's - No Rear Channels?  (Read 3862 times)

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
Multichannel FLAC's - No Rear Channels?
« on: August 06, 2011, 02:30:21 pm »

Running the current MC on Windows 7, 64 bit. Using WASAPI Event Style, and with a SB X-Fi Extreme card supporting 24/96. I run the X-Fi's analog FR/CTR/FL and RR/RL into the Yamaha DSP-A1 Multichannel Analog inputs----then a bunch of other gear.

I can play multitrack 24/96 tracks through Winamp just fine, and other bit rates/depths - all channels work fine. Played through MC I only get FR/CTR/LR?

Any ideas?

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multichannel FLAC's - No Rear Channels?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 03:36:19 pm »

something like that happens to me too, there was a change in channel orders I think, try enabling 7.1 or moving sorrounds of 7.1 to rears of 5.1
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 04:59:37 pm »

This guide might help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

You can use DSP Studio > Room Correction to test each speaker line.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25:19 pm »

Thanks for your suggestions fellas. I could find no place to swap/change 5.1 or 7.1 or to move 7.1 sounds to rear? Also, when I tried the DSP Room Correction tools, nothing comes out of the rears. Not a hookup problem caus they work fine when running other media players like Winamp and Media Monkey.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:51:59 pm »

Thanks for your suggestions fellas. I could find no place to swap/change 5.1 or 7.1 or to move 7.1 sounds to rear? Also, when I tried the DSP Room Correction tools, nothing comes out of the rears. Not a hookup problem caus they work fine when running other media players like Winamp and another program.

I have a similar problem, maybe related?

when i try to play 4.1 channel FLAC files, it says it can't play 96khz, 24 bit 5 channel files, but offers to play 2 channel instead.

is this just that 4.1 channel (Dark side of the Moon DVDA) is "weird" and confuses MC, or is this just a multi-channel flac problem?  how can I test?
pretend this is something funny

sunfire7

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:07:59 am »

Thanks for your suggestions fellas. I could find no place to swap/change 5.1 or 7.1 or to move 7.1 sounds to rear? Also, when I tried the DSP Room Correction tools, nothing comes out of the rears. Not a hookup problem caus they work fine when running other media players like Winamp and another program.

I solved it selecting 7.1 instead of 5.1 on DSP Studio> Output format > Channels , after that everything plays fine.  I think is just the order wrong or something.

You can move / swap channels in DSP sudio > Parametric eq > Add > Mix Channels
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 08:30:55 am »

Channel ordering with X-Fi hardware is a bit complicated.

If you use ASIO (the recommended output for X-Fi since it's the only way to get bit-matched playback), you'll need to manually configure the channel mapping using Creative Console Launcher under the ASIO tab.  This is because the default 8 channel mapping includes a top and rear center speaker which is not standard.  Since these speakers don't exist, the driver mixes sound routed to these channels them back into other channels in a weird way.

Here's what it should look like:

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:04:52 am »

Maybe my PCI version of X-fi is an older version since I dont have the application in the previous post. However, in MC, DSP Studio I changed Channels from "Source number of channels" to "5.1 Channels" and now I seem to have working surround channels.

However, at some point looking through all the settings somewhere, I may have made a change to something which seems to be sending all sub-output to the fronts. My pre-amp does have a separate sub output which I use. What I am noticing is more, excessive thumpy bass out the fronts now. I just dont recall where I saw this setting, or if its my imagination.

Ya know I am very impressed with MC, and have certainly enjoying using Gizmo and the Media Server. But all this fiddling with outputs, and MC crashing more than any other Windows application I have run in at least the last decade is troubling. Hoping to see steady improvements and development for MC. Great potential thats for sure.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:08:57 am »

Please see the link called "Stability" in my signature.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 10:09:57 am »

Maybe my PCI version of X-fi is n older version since I dont have that application in the previous post.

You have to install it separately from Creative.  But it's worth your time if you want to get the best audio out of your X-Fi using ASIO.

and MC crashing more than any other Windows application I have run in at least the last decade is troubling

This isn't normal.  Please use Help > Logging to capture a log and post the crash details here.

Thanks.

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 10:17:36 am »

Thanks, I did come across that "Crashes" section of the wiki, nothing helpful or relevant (in my case) there. These crashes occur across three different, but minimally configured Windows 7 machines. This simple fact strongly points to application instability rather than any specific conflict with installed applications/services.

But I will start logging on those machines and try to post them when I accumulate a few crashes.

Thanks again for your quick responses and tips!

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »

I use a few different Creative cards and have never had any problems.
All are setup a little different.
I don't think X-Fi extreme supports ASIO and im not sure if it has Audio creation mode.

With my X-Fi Titanium card i can play 6 channel FLAC.
I use ASIO for my output mode in JRiver
I set my creative software to audio creation mode for 5.1 speakers
Then in the creative ASIO tab (in audio creation console) i set my channels in the following order:
Front L/R - Front C/Sub - Rear L/R - 4th column blank
I believe this is the standard for FLAC. Not all audio formats use the same order.

With my X-Fi 5.1 Surround Pro card i can play 6 channel FLAC.
I use WASAPI event style (ASIO is not supported)
The only way i could configure it to support 5.1 was to open windows playback devices window,
then right click and choose configure speakers. In there, 5.1 can be selected though it never shows up in the
creation console. All i see from creative is 2.1 even though im playing 5.1.

With my X-Fi HD USB Surround Pro card i can only play 6 channel FLAC as 2 channels.
The card is made for headphones not surround sound.
I use JRiver DSP to output in 6 channels as 2 channels with WASAPI event style.

I don't remember how i did it on my Audigy 2 zs but it worked aswell.

Pages: [1]   Go Up