INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request to include vinyl and other analogue items in MC16 catalogue  (Read 2394 times)

goberre

• Recent member

Having now completed 2 years of ripping all of my 3000 CDs and going over to FLAC based replay I love the convenience and the MC16 player. However my 5000 LPs still remain on the shelves in analogue and I am not keen on spending another 4 years ripping them to get them into the MC16 catalogue. I would really like to have catalogue entries in MC16 for the vinyl, something like files with ID3 tags only. The ID3 data could be automatically completed by MC16 on entering LP name and artist. This could also apply to other analogue sources. I do not wish to go down the route of Music Collector and MC16. I think a single complete catalogue is essential for any serious collection. Any chance?

ksvane

• World Citizen
Re: Request to include vinyl and other analogue items in MC16 catalogue
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 04:57:17 am »

As much as you probably don't want to hear it I recommend Music Collector from collectorz.com to catalogue your entire collection. I'm doing fine with that and Media Center at the same time. Music Collector has other advantages, such as indexing each item in your collection - which could be useful, since you obviously have a beyond-huge collection (which, by the way, I'm going to steal once I find out where you live).

As I see it, Media Center is a media player, thus not really supposed to display anything in the media library besides actual existing files. But I suppose a possible solution could be creating zero-byte audio files and tag them in MC, yet some track information would obviously not appear (e.g. duration).

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:46:48 am »

I do not wish to go down the route of Music Collector and MC16. I think a single complete catalogue is essential for any serious collection. Any chance?

They can be represented by dummy files in MC. Do you have an existing catalogue of the LPs? If so, can you generate a plain text track listing with all the information you would like to import into MC?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:13 am »

Music Collector has other advantages, such as indexing each item in your collection - which could be useful, since you obviously have a beyond-huge collection (which, by the way, I'm going to steal once I find out where you live).

This is trivial to do in MC.  I use a Reference ID field for this purpose for my CDs, but it can be used for any/all types.

It would be fantastic if MC allowed creation of an empty record of a given type, which initially is marked as NO-MEDIA-AVAILABLE, but allows a user to enter metadata.  This would obviate the need for these empty files workarounds.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:11:36 am »

wow, I wasn't even aware of that.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:53 am »

I have successfully used the software from http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/
It does an excellent job finding cover, tracks, where tracks starts and ends and a lot more.
I was using the NAD PP3 box to do the RIAA - analog - digital conversion.

I wish you a pleasant time listening to all your LPs again.

goberre

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:58:56 am »

This is trivial to do in MC.  I use a Reference ID field for this purpose for my CDs, but it can be used for any/all types.

It would be fantastic if MC allowed creation of an empty record of a given type, which initially is marked as NO-MEDIA-AVAILABLE, but allows a user to enter metadata.  This would obviate the need for these empty files workarounds.

Thanks for the advice and I agree that this facility is needed in MC 17. In the meantime could you please expand on using the reference ID field for this purpose. What is the reference ID field, I cannot find it in my tags?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:27 am »

...could you please expand on using the reference ID field for this purpose. What is the reference ID field, I cannot find it in my tags?

Sure.  It is a custom field you add, and then use expressions to drive the view.  See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/CD_Reference_Number

and ask if you need more help.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up