INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the MC Buffer work with ASIO's?  (Read 3188 times)

dogleg867

• Recent member
Does the MC Buffer work with ASIO's?
« on: August 16, 2011, 12:43:27 pm »

I use a Sonicweld Diverter as my audio output device. On the designer's recommendation, I'm using the ASIO output which has its own settings for buffering. These settings do not agree with MC's settings except in extreme cases. For example, the smallest possible buffer setting possible in MC is .02 seconds. The largest possible buffer for AISO is 2048 samples. At 96 kHz; .02 sec.=2048 samples. Is there any point in trying to match buffer settings? My reason for trying is so that the computer doesn't have to Pre Buffer for 6 seconds, then calculate and maintain MC's buffer for .02-5 sec., and then separately buffer the AISO output. This was my thinking anyway. Could someone please explain how these various buffers work together (or against) one another?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Does the MC Buffer work with ASIO's?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:12:29 pm »

The hardware buffer size (often a small value like 2048 blocks) is independent of the Media Center buffer size you select for ASIO.  Technically ASIO looks like:

Secondary buffer (configured with the Prebuffering setting) > Primary buffer (configured in the ASIO output setting) > Hardware buffer (configured in soundcard's control panel, or automatically by Media Center if selected)

If you select 'Use large hardware buffers' in Media Center's ASIO configuration, we will automatically set the hardware buffer sizes to a large value.  I would recommend leaving this checked.

As for the primary buffer size, just use something large enough to not skip.  0.2 or 0.1 seconds is sufficient on a modern computer.  There isn't a sound quality difference between buffer sizes (unless you get skipping due to data shortfalls).

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:23 pm »

Quote from: Matt
Hardware buffer (configured in soundcard's control panel, or automatically by Media Center if selected)
Are you saying if "Use large hardware buffers" isn't checked, then it uses the setting in the soundcard drivers? It is is checked then it sets the buffer size automatically? I've always wondered if I need to set the driver to a certain buffer size or if MC overrides it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »

Are you saying if "Use large hardware buffers" isn't checked, then it uses the setting in the soundcard drivers?

Yes.

It is is checked then it sets the buffer size automatically?

Yes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up