INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo Instability on Droid X  (Read 1072 times)

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Gizmo Instability on Droid X
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:46:55 pm »

I love Gizmo! It's the coolest idea to ever hit the smart phone as far as I'm concerned. However, I have a major problem that I can't figure out with it. Every time I open the app it attempts to connect. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it connects and prompts me for a username and password (which I don't have entered into the network settings). Sometims when it does connect successfully it will reconnect if I start browsing for an artist or album. Sometimes it will connect and play normally, however, only for a song or two then it locks up showing the next track in the "Preparing" stage. Trying to do anything (back screen, next track, etc.) causes the app to crash and I have to force close it.

I thought it might be another app interferring with it so I wiped the Droid X and installed only Gizmo. No help. I know my PC that's running MC 16 (latest build) has enough horsepower to run it, it's a got dual Xeon procs and 8GB of RAM on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit install. A friend (who I turned on to JRiver and Gizmo) has Gizmo running perfectly on his Droid X and even has a slower PC running MC 16.

I really want to figure this problem out because I want to use my Droid X in my car for long road trips. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Re: Gizmo Instability on Droid X
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:18:19 am »

I spent the better part of the evening doing some experimenting and I discovered that if I turn off the DLNA (server, controller, renderer) then it's stable. I also discovered some other tidbits that might help someone in the future.

• Tracks don't begin to play on my Droid until after the first 320Kb has been converted.
  • Playing a FLAC file on the Droid is converted a lot faster than playing an MP3 (weird, I think) therefore resulting in shorter gaps between tracks.
  • Tracks are converted faster on a Windows Server 2003 32bit machine than a 64bit Windows 7 Pro machine also resulting in shorter gaps between tracks.
  • All tracks streamed  appear to be at 128Kbps bit rate regardless of file types played (I tested with FLAC and MP3 as mentioned above by downloading the file from the web player, saving it, and looking at the file properties).
  • It appears that data is sent (or streamed) to the device at a maximum of 218Kbps as noted by my network meter. Average speed was about 120Kbps.

I'll continue testing and tweaking to find the best configuration for my set up but so far everything seems solid. I've been listening to Gizmo for over 90 minutes and haven't had a single hiccup. As a suggestion, one thing I would like to see Gizmo do is to be a little smarter when it comes to connecting to the network. Instead of looking at my internal IP address first (because it's assuming that I'm connected to my home network via WI-FI) have it check to see if the device is even on a WI-FI network first and if it is then try to connect to it. If it's not on WI-FI just connect to the public IP address.

All-in-all, great job JRiver team!! The Gizmo app and it's abilities has convinced a few of my friends to convert to a Droid device and purchase Media Center! I'm hoping that the development of Gizmo continues and look forward to seeing improvements in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up