INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can the Theater View display/settings be copied to other MC computers?  (Read 2445 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I spent most of the weekend ripping Movies and TV Series, and configuring Theater View. I now have my Audio, Video, Podcasts, Televison, and Gadgets all setup the way I want on my Library Server computer. I'm sharing the Library with the Client HTPCs, but Theater View display/settings are unique to each computer. If I could (one time) copy the Theater View settings from the Server to each client computer and then just have to tweak one or two things on the client setups it would save me alot of time.

So the question is: Are the Theater View settings stored in a single file somewhere? So that I can just copy "that file" with all of the Theater View settings (items to show, rules for file display, and edited Details) onto my client machines - or do I need to set up each client computer  individually?

Thanks again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can the Theater View display/settings be copied to other MC computers?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:58 pm »

I'm sharing the Library with the Client HTPCs, but Theater View display/settings are unique to each computer.

Theater View configuration is part of the library, and should be shared to a client when using Library Server.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:47:44 am »

MC does not synchronize/copy the changes I made to Theater View on the "Server computer" with the Client computers. For example, I added "Podcasts" to the secondary roller on the Server, and it does not show on the Clients. Similarily, I added "Songs" (singles) as a filter/list for my Audio (albums) and that change did not show up on the Clients either. I did click the Sync Changes with Library button, but nothing changed.

I've been tweaking all my MCs so much lately, I'm not sure about this statement, but I think when I addded "listing by Genres" to my Audio (on the Server) that change did transfer to all my computers. If so, then maybe some changes to Theater View do sync between computers and some changes that are specific to the computer. Also, I do not have a TV Tuner on the server computer, so I removed "Live" and "Guide", but those choices are still on my Client computers (and should be since I have Tuners on those computers).

It's not that hard for me to just write down the Items to Show and their respective settings, and manually update each computer. i was just asking if there was a shortcut.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:39:47 am »

If you do that, you might end up with the previous library setup next time you restart the client. So, it's probably not the best solution. Would be better if we find out why the views is not updated from the server.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:21:33 am »

I don't think you want the Theater View to always be the same on all computers. As in my example/case, I have TV tuners on two computers but not on all. I don't want to show the Guide and Live TV on the computers without Tuners (do I?).

So how can I find out why the views are not updated from the server? The Library is being updated and shared to all computers.

Thanks.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 01:32:22 pm »

Then you might have a problem. I think that a LS and LS client always will replicate the views and other library data to the clients, from the server. However, something looks to bug out in your case.

I do agree that it would be nice to have different setups for different clients though. Just not sure if that's such an easy task.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:13:36 pm »

Have a look here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

Views are not replicated :(

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:37:49 pm »

So, that's why it did not work for me a few weeks ago then.... Haha. You never stop learning with this application, that's for sure.
It's kind of a good thing, that the servers views is not replicated. I hope the LS clients views is kept intact as well when you customize it.

Someone sure wants to duplicate the views from the server though. Is there a easy way to do this? This question brings me back to ,y dreams of a better user/machine management to give users and PC's different media access and view setup....

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »

Views can be saved to a file, copied to another pc and loaded there. They are saved in the current library folder in the folder SavedViews.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »

Excellent. The files at Program Files> J River> Media Center 16> Data >Saved Views.
I have 13 saved views; 8 are Audio related, 3 data, 1 Video, 1 Image.
Now I can makes a few test adjustments and see which files change (i.e which ones I want to copy) - then copy those over to my other computers.

Thanks for the shortcut.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:06:25 am »

I don't know about Theater Views, but all changes to view on a Client will be lost after a library reload (restart) AFAIK. So views are "replicated" one way, from Server to Clients, deleting previous changes.

The wiki is a bit unclear on that. I guess it should state "What is is not synced from Client to Server"
Also, it does not mention that changes to Cover Art is not replicated to server (at least for movies)
I also did some testing on changes to filename/path, but only remember that results where not to make any changes on those fields from a Client. 

I could update the wiki, but I am a bit unsure if I might have overlooked something...
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:34:13 am »

I don't know about Theater Views, but all changes to view on a Client will be lost after a library reload (restart) AFAIK.

That is what I feared as well. Hope some experts could comment this. If it's like this and you can not replicate the server changes, and NOT do changes on the client, it would be kind of bad. I know I have done some successful changes my self though. Just not sure how, when and what.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 04:36:38 am »

I'm not sure it is a bad thing if the "Theater Views" don't sync between the Server and Clients. As long as the data on the library Server shares properly among all computers, I think all is good. In my opinion it is better if the Theaters View do not sync. This way you can setup a system (say in Kids room) that just has Movies in the menu, and the Family room can have Movies, Music, and Photos on the menu. The same data from the server is available at all clients (just without the menu to choose everything).

I have manually changed the Theater View on my two Client machines. If they revert back to the Server (Theater View) setup, I will be diappointed. I shutdown and restarted, and did the sync thing, and so far everything has stayed the same.

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 05:34:31 am »

No, it's not a bad thing. It would be more troublesome if views were forced on all clients from the server.

The best thing would be to tie Views to machine groups though. So you can have one central place to create the views, and that they get distributed to the correct clients. This way it would be MUCH simpler to have control on bigger server client setups. Let's hope something like this will be implemented when J River look at better database access management control ;)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 06:12:37 am »

The best thing would be to tie Views to machine groups though. So you can have one central place to create the views, and that they get distributed to the correct clients.

Yes, that would make administration so much easier.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 06:38:25 am »

I think you can do that on your own. You can save views wherever you want. I have left the standard views in the Program folders intact and save my onw views in AppData\Media Center 16\Library. You could easily create subfolders server, client1, client2 etc.
The only thing you cannot do is to define a standard path for your views.
Pages: [1]   Go Up