INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems playing mkv files  (Read 1708 times)

jankr

Problems playing mkv files
« on: August 18, 2011, 06:27:13 am »

Hi all,

After upgrading to MC16, i have problems playing mkv files. I have Haali installed, but the files don`t even play when everything is set to automatic in the options menu. I get the "Invalid Video Decoder filter or output pin" message. I have tried all combinations of source filters and video renderers with no luck. MC16 just seems to totally ignore Haali media splitter. I have the newest versions of both Haali and MC16.
The only way to get playback is to use ffdshow. I use this filter to upscale and improve playback of DVDs and other lo.def. video, using Avisynth, Dscaler and resizing. I cannot use ffdshow with my settings on hi.res. video, as it overloads the computer, and also try to improve on files that don`t need improving. I therefore set ffdshow up not to be used in MC16.
All of this worked perfectly well when using MC15.
Does anyone have a solution to this?

jankr.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems playing mkv files
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:31:56 am »

Set video playback to Red October Std.

Reboot

Reinstall

jankr

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:40:08 am »

I already did all of that.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:35 am »

There is a setting to tell MC to ignore Haali and Gabest. But if I understand the program, MC runs in its own environment and ignores whatever was done previously outside of MC. So if you install filters and then install MC, MC uses its own filters/setup and ignores what you did previously. I think this is one of the benefits of MC, that your current setup won't break MC (and vise-versa). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, I have no problems playing MKV files with the out-of-box MC settings (both RO-std and RO-HQ). I have not had to configure anything on my system or add anything outside of MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 09:16:17 am »

Red October is separate from normal DirectShow selection.  More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Red_October

jankr

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:04:08 pm »

Thanks for the info,

If I understand this correctly, there is an internal ffdshow in MC16 in addition to the external one installed on my computer? This will explain that even when the external ffdshow was uninstalled, MC listed ffdshow as the video decoder (auto configured, and in grey) when playing mkv files. It does not explain, however, why making the external ffdshow unavailable to MC, also turns off the internal one. There must be some kind of interaction between the two.
I have no problem allowing ffdshow to be active for MC16, as long as its settings are your "internal settings" and not my "external settings" made to upscale Lo.Def video.
What started this in the first place was, for the first time using MC on this computer, that I experienced quite extensive stuttering when playing 720p mkv files.
So my question now is; what causes this stuttering that I thought was an overload of my processor?

jankr.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 04:42:10 pm »

I had stuttering with BD playpack then I changed Audio from Direct Sound to WASPI Event and it cleared up. The problem hasn't returned since. I don't know if it was just coincedental or if the audio was really the cause - maybe someone else can say whether or not the audio setting can cause stuttering.

jankr

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:58:25 am »

That solved it!
Thank you CountryBumkin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up