INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setup question about Libraries and sharing common data between multiple HTPCs  (Read 2622 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I have MC16 running on two HTPCs and a third "test" desktop computer. My movies,Music, and TV Shows are stored on a fourth computer (I'll call it the "server" - which is not running MC).

Each computer is currently running MC independantly of the other and only importing/monitoring files/data from the server computer.

But - I don't want to maintain and update the Libraries (Tags) on three separate systems. Since I have MC running the way I want on the "test" computer (all the Tags are filled and everything is working well). This is the Library settings I want the other two HTPCs to use.

How do I setup the HTPCs to share a common Library (if that is the correct term) so I don't have to redo all the Tag settings, etc. on each system? And if I make a change on the "test" computer (say I update Genres) I want that change to show on the HTPC systems too.

Also because HTPC "A" and HTPC "B" each have TV tuners, and one runs RO and the other uses RO+HQ, (and my test computer doesn't have a Tuner and can't Bitstream) I can't run the same settings on all the systems. The only thing I want to share is the Library. Does my Library need to be on the "server" computer?

Any help you can provide setting this up is very much appreciated.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

Enable Library Server.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server

Use one system as you server, the others as clients.

You'll get best performance if you share media folders via windows sharing and use MCs option to play from local files if they exist.  Many of use use mapped drives to do so, such as M: for media.  Setup all computers to see M: as the same directory tree.  Then when MC begins playback on a client, it will look to see if the path is available on the localhost, and if so, play it (this uses Windows file sharing instead of streaming from MC server to client).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

CountryBumkin

Thanks. I will install MC on my "server" computer and Clone the Library from the "test" computer. Then I will not need the test system anymore. I'll post back if I run into any trouble.

CountryBumkin

I have not been able to find the Library Server feature. The Wiki says it is configured under "Tools/Options/Media Network in MC15". There is no such location in MC16 (at least that I can find). I went through all of the menu options. Under Tools >Advanced Tools there is a "Media Server" but when I click it nothing happens.

kensn

• MC Beta Team

Tools Menu - 'click' Options - Media Network 'tab', it is there on mine.... ;D
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

CountryBumkin

I don't have that menu. Here's what I have to choose from.

kensn

• MC Beta Team

Is it enabled under Tools - Options - General - Features?

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

I don't have that menu. Here's what I have to choose from.

Weird!  What version are you running?

Rod

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

Try this:

In Tools > Options, search field in the upper right, type Media Network.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.

Is it enabled under Tools - Options - General - Features?

Ken

Check Ken's tip, media network is most likely disabled.

Also, when you have the library server working, you should check out enabling Wake on Lan. MC clients will initiate a WoL-packet if server is offline, enabling you to remote start your computer just by starting MC on the client. This is even possible outside your home network if desired (laptop on the go), you just need to do some more configuration on your router :-)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

CountryBumkin

On the two HTPCs that will be clients, I have the Media Network option shown. I think used "Express Install" on the server computer and "Custom Install" on the others.

I followed the instructions above about using the search box and was able to install/activate Media Network.

CountryBumkin

I still don't have this working as I think it should.
My files/tags are not the same between computers. Both HTPCs (clients) seem to be independant from the server regarding file tagging.

I have the Media Networking running. On all computers it now shows all the other computers on my network (even the ones not running MC) -  so I choose "Load" the Server computer's library on both HTPC computers (the clients). It say Loaded but there are no files added. So I go to import button and add the paths to my Movies, Music, and Photos, just as I do when running stand-alone MC. It loads everything now, but when I view the files they have the default tags, not all the fixes, media-sub type addtions, and renaming I made on the server computer library.

Should I need to use the "Import" feature on my client computers, or should it automatically show the server's library if it is setup right?

What am I doing wrong?

CountryBumkin

Okay. Got it figured out. Instead of selecting the "server computer" from the listed networked devices, I just needed to select the "add library" button. Then I inputed the six digit code and username/password. Everything is now working as I wanted.

Perhaps there is a better Wiki explaination needed. If I can (am allowed to) add to the Wiki, I will provide this information.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team

CB,

This post reminds me of the initial struggles I had to get the MC network up and running about one year ago; the settings seemed pretty clear only after I'd figured out how to enable a number of options (i.e. Self-Evident in Hindsight.)

It looks like you have the server/client system up and running, but make sure "Authentication" is checked on all computers, not just the main library server. Then, click "Automatically sync changes..." on all computers under Media Network/Client Options. This ensures changes made to the client libraries are also made on the library server.

Also, make sure Startup/Media Server is enabled on the server computer so that it runs constantly.

In addition, one nice feature I have up and running on a similar home network is Wake-on-LAN on my server computer. My client computers automatically connect to the main library and wake the computer from sleep or even turn the server on cold. You have to enable this through the Win7 OS, and then client computers automatically send the WOL magic packet to the server computer. I like this because I don't have to run the server all the time, it's a laptop and not really designed for constant use. An upgrade to a dedicated server with bigger storage capabilities is on my short list.

It is interesting to note that I purchased MC and joined Interact one year ago; ALL of MC's networking features have been continually tweaked and improved over this time...we've seen nice updates to Gizmo as well. Big thanks to JimH, Matt and co for the work in this arena. The wiki may be out of date because of the quick pace of change over MC15 and MC16.

CountryBumkin

Thanks for the tips/advise. I'll check those things now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

It looks like you have the server/client system up and running, but make sure "Authentication" is checked on all computers, not just the main library server.
Authentication is only needed on the server, and only if Library Server clients are syncing changes back to the server.
Also, make sure Startup/Media Server is enabled on the server computer so that it runs constantly.
Correct.
It is interesting to note that I purchased MC and joined Interact one year ago; ALL of MC's networking features have been continually tweaked and improved over this time...we've seen nice updates to Gizmo as well. Big thanks to JimH, Matt and co for the work in this arena.
You're welcome.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I have MC16 running on two HTPCs and a third "test" desktop computer. My movies,Music, and TV Shows are stored on a fourth computer (I'll call it the "server" - which is not running MC).

Each computer is currently running MC independantly of the other and only importing/monitoring files/data from the server computer.

But - I don't want to maintain and update the Libraries (Tags) on three separate systems. Since I have MC running the way I want on the "test" computer (all the Tags are filled and everything is working well). This is the Library settings I want the other two HTPCs to use.

How do I setup the HTPCs to share a common Library (if that is the correct term) so I don't have to redo all the Tag settings, etc. on each system? And if I make a change on the "test" computer (say I update Genres) I want that change to show on the HTPC systems too.

Also because HTPC "A" and HTPC "B" each have TV tuners, and one runs RO and the other uses RO+HQ, (and my test computer doesn't have a Tuner and can't Bitstream) I can't run the same settings on all the systems. The only thing I want to share is the Library. Does my Library need to be on the "server" computer?

The terminology you're using is a little confusing.  It looks like the machine you call "server" above is just a file server for these purposes.   The machine you call "test" has a copy of MC running, has imported the files from your file server, and is the machine that will become the Server for Library Server purposes.  If you could either call this "Server" or "MC Server", it would help.

Any other machine can be a client, but it might be best to get one client running first.

You might read the article called "Servers" on our wiki.

CountryBumkin

Jim,
Sorry about the confusing terminology. I know it is hard to provide assistance when the question is not asked clearly. BTW, I did read the Wiki - but I still needed guideance from this forum. Nothing personal (to whoever wrote the Wiki) but it is not really very "newbie" friendly. I would like to see screen shots to go along with the explainations.

PS. Everything is now setup correctly and working as it should.

Thanks for all the help!

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.

Good to hear things are woking.

Take one note of library server sync, it does not sync all changes. Changes to views are not synced, and neither is cover art (I think). Paths are also a bit unclear (at least to me). So i'd recommend to make larger maintenance on server, to be sure not to loose your changes.

If you have an Android phone, do try out Gizmo as drmimosa mentioned. With video playback working, this is such a cool feature.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...
Pages: [1]   Go Up