INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Videoclock vs Reclock  (Read 6271 times)

GaryM

• Recent member
Videoclock vs Reclock
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:15:20 pm »

I have been evaluating MC for the past few weeks, and have now got to a point where I'm happy... will buy in the next week.

My needs are simple, playback of PAL DVDs on a projector with the best video quality I can get.

Currently Red October HQ is doing that.

I'm connected to my receiver via spdif, and so I'm outputting PCM from MC and using Videoclock, then letting the DSP package the audio as AC3 for output. This works, but I still get some video stutter now and then through a session.

Because of this I have tried reclock. Installed it, left settings as defaults, turned off Videoclock in MC and chose the audio output device to be reclock. Reclock generates the AC3 output in this case. Result... no stutters at all. Very smooth replay.

Now I'm sure I should be able to get the same result from Videoclock, but don't. Any pointers? Has Videoclock any shortcomings with PAL?

Thanks in advance...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Videoclock vs Reclock
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:46:38 pm »

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:34:02 am »

Has Videoclock any shortcomings with PAL?

Not really. Should work the same and it does as far as I can tell. Of course you need to make sure your display refresh rate matches the video you are playing and MC supports this too, but it's not as "automatic" as reclock (yet). Ie, MC will only auto-switch refresh rates for imported videos with the "FPS" library field set. Whereas Reclock can do it "on-the-fly" so it will work for all video types - physical media, un-imported and YouTube -etc..
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:40:25 am »

Not really. Should work the same and it does as far as I can tell. Of course you need to make sure your display refresh rate matches the video you are playing and MC supports this too, but it's not as "automatic" as reclock (yet). Ie, MC will only auto-switch refresh rates for imported videos with the "FPS" library field set. Whereas Reclock can do it "on-the-fly" so it will work for all video types - physical media, un-imported and YouTube -etc..

Thanks, Ray. I was hoping something like this would come across from the link I pasted. I was sitting in my home theatre, with the lights down and a tiny handheld Lenovo keyboard, so I couldn't really type a proper response.
I figured that Reclock was doing its thing on the fly, and that the PAL DVDs would have to have their fps entered manually, which was the conclusion from the thread I linked to.

GaryM

• Recent member
Re: Re: Videoclock vs Reclock
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 01:54:44 am »

I'm not doing any refresh rate switching though. Pj is running at 50Hz.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:03:20 am »

Try reducing your audio buffer setting in Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

Using WASAPI Event Style or ASIO with 0.2 seconds of buffering is a good starting point.

DVD requires fairly smaller audio buffer sizes due to how the DVD navigator works (it won't expose audio very far ahead of video).

Does that help?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 05:15:26 pm »

Hi Matt,  will do,  are those options applicable when I'm using dsp to repackage output as AC3?

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:48:34 am »

That suggestion might just have done the trick.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:13:47 am »

Just to be clear...
GaryM, when you say "that suggestion might just have done the trick", are you referring to Matt's suggestion of reducing the audio buffer setting? And if so, are you using Videoclock or Reclock?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:20:27 pm »

I should update... No Matt's suggestion didn't work out. I'm now ripping DVDs to mkv, using Red October HQ, videclock, and setting MadVR to exclusive mode. Audio is Wasapi event style, followed by AC3 encode for my spdif connection. All is perfection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up