INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Construct shuffled random MP3 CD  (Read 991 times)

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
Construct shuffled random MP3 CD
« on: September 03, 2011, 05:20:43 am »

I would like to make a set of MP3 CDs for my car for a forthcoming trip. What I want is for each CD to contain 100 tracks chosen at random from the 14000 tracks in my main audio library. As the car's MP3 player plays tracks in alphabetical order, I would like to rename the tracks on the CD to prepend 1 two-digit sequence number in the random order. In that way I have no idea what I will hear when.

Can anyone recommend the best way to go about this? Is it actually possible?

I can do parts of the process using the "100 Random Songs" Smartlist. And I can send that list to a "CD Image" device from which I could burn CDs, specifying any necessary conversion. But a device does not obviously support file renaming, and I can't work out how to get the file names changed in the image without breaking the naming in my main library?

Any advice when whether and how I can do this?

Brian

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Construct shuffled random MP3 CD
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 06:08:07 am »

This is one of MC's cleverer little tricks...

In the burn action window, click on the Tools icon in the top left, and follow the menu (snap-27)

Choosing "Custom" gets you the neat tool shown in snap-28.

Basically, this allows you to name the destination files anything you like (bearing character count limitations in mind) without affecting the file names of the source files.

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
Re: Construct shuffled random MP3 CD
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 06:28:03 am »

Thank you. I was still running 149 (latest stable last time I looked). And that version did not have these menus - believe me I would have found it if it was there.

But I have just upgraded (to 164) and lo and behold!!! Just what I need!!

Thanks again

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up