INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center Update Affecting Volume or Settings? [Solved by reinstalling]  (Read 3064 times)

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck

Hello:

I recently purchased MC 16 as the second part of an audio upgrade after purchasing two M-Audio studiophile CX-5 active monitors, and couldn't be more pleased with the result, especially with my downloads from HD tracks in 96/24 FLAC format. It is a stellar piece of software.

I am running audio out of a separate sound card (HT Omega Claro) in WASAPI event mode, no re-sampling minimal DSP effects no EQ. I do use the 10 inch subwoofer effect to punch up the bass a little

I opened the program last night and an update to the program was automatically installed.

It might be ear fatigue, but it seemed that the system (virtual) volume needed to be around 60 to 70 per cent (Before the update, 40 to 50 per cent system volume was getting pretty loud) to equal the presence it had before the update. Same thing with virtual subwoofer, changing it from 10 to 14 made little difference, before the update it was huge.

I haven't changed any physical settings on the M-Audio monitors.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Media Center Update Affecting Volume or Settings?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:19:09 am »

The virtual subwoofer effect was reworked in a recent revision of v16.  It uses a steeper roll-off and includes the Subclarity filter.  Both should help provide tighter, cleaner bass.

The effect is also a little more conservative about turning down the volume to avoid clipping.  The previous implementation would rely on Clip Protection to turn down when it clips.  

You could add the volume back by adding a volume boost with the Parametric Equalizer effect.

You could also use the Parametric Equalizer to add a smooth boost at 60 Hz (or similar) if you're looking for more mid bass.

Hope that helps.  And welcome to Interact.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »

Thanks Matt I will give that a go.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 06:27:53 pm »

After doing some investigating, I discovered that it has nothing to do with virtual subwoofer, equalization or any  DSP effect.

This definitely occurred only after the auto update had installed and restarted the player.

First, I opened the system volume control via the speaker icon in the system tray Windows 7.

Then, I played an audio file in MC 16.

What you should see is a green flashing VU meter indicating sound levels, the VU meter lights were not present.

I then opened an audio file in WMP, and played a You Tube video and the green flashing lights were there.

The volume in Windows Media player was twice as loud as the volume in MC, and again, the VU meters for system volume in both the soundcard and Windows sound control worked when playing audio in WMP and You Tube.

Somehow,MC has stopped outputting audio levels so they are indicated in the volume icon VU meters.

I am going to try a reinstall, I reviewed every setting in MC 16 and could not see the VU meters working.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »

Well, still no joy.

Did a reinstall MC16 and still no output in the VU meters.

Just for giggles I installed Foobar 2000, opened an audio file, and audio output can be seen in the VU meters for the Windows mixer and sound card.

I am at a loss to figure this out, but I can say definitively that all sources , with the exception of MC 16 show audio output visually.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:22:24 pm »

Please try disabling all the DSPs in DSP Studio.

It sounds as simple as the virtual subwoofer effect turning the volume down.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 09:47:08 pm »

Hi Matt:

Thanks for your help and patience on this.

I disabled all DSP effects and still can't get the volume I had, or get any VU readings from Windows sound icon. again, WMP is at least 50 per cent louder playing the same file.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »

Can you go back to your old version and see if that fixes it?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:57:24 pm »

Try switching the volume slider to "System Volume" (Menu > Player > Volume) and put it at 100%.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 09:36:56 am »

Matt and fitbrit, thanks for you responses.

I spent most of the evening dealing with this and finally had to give up and go to bed.

Here is the issue, and I am hoping I am not being redundant, but clarifying.

MC 16 is putting out physical sound, but Windows is not showing an output in the VU meters.

When I purchased MC 16 prior to the first software update, MC 16 was showing this output. I could never push 100 percent on the volume slider.

All other players, Quicktime, Foobar 2000, and WMP all are at least 50 per cent louder (Not just volume, but dynamically, or in terms of presence, those dynamics and presence were there in MC16 prior to the update.)

MC16 is a weaker sounding player since the update.

I am far from an expert obviously, but it FEELS like something is broken in the HAL.

At any rate, I am going to try a complete fresh reinstall.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 09:44:40 am »

Did you try Matt's suggestion?  There are several volumes available.

Double check Windows sound by clicking on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of Windows and then choosing Mixer.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:23 am »

Did you try Matt's suggestion?  There are several volumes available.

Double check Windows sound by clicking on the speaker icon in the lower right corner of Windows and then choosing Mixer.

Hi Jim:

Yes, I tried that all night, the mixer icon in the lower right corner of Windows system tray is specifically the one I am referring to.

Opening that icon shows VU output in every player but MC16, and moving the Windows slider moves the "system volume" slider in MC16 simultaneously. They move together.

If they are supposed to be independent, then this might resolve the issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 10:09:15 am »

In MC, click on the speaker icon in the upper left corner, and try switching the volume.

In Tools/Options/Settings double check what device you have selected.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 10:12:29 am »

To all:

It appears a second, fresh reinstall (eliminating all folders and registry entries prior to installing) of the latest stable build did the trick, I now see, (using the Windows icon) and hear, the output that MC16 had prior to the update.

I have no idea what happened, maybe some corrupted files or a bunged installation through auto update?

At any rate, thanks to all for the help and support, I truly appreciate it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:25:52 am »

MC 16 is putting out physical sound, but Windows is not showing an output in the VU meters.

These must be specific to a certain sound card driver and control panel. The plain Windows 7 mixer interface does not have "VU meters" (...at least not on my system. My separate Terratec control panel has volume level indicators.)

Probably you are using an output mode that bypasses the Windows mixer (WASAPI, ASIO or Kernel Streming) if the meters do not show any indication of the audio output. You could try the Direct Sound mode.

Regarding the volume options, on Windows 7, MC has three possible modes for the volume adjustment: System, Application and Internal.

As a test, you could set MC to use the Internal volume option (set it to maximum) and the Direct Sound output mode without any DSP options checked in MC's DSP Studio. Uncheck also the Volume Protection setting in Player > Volume. Play a regular audio file and in the Windows mixer set the application specific volume slider and the system volume slider to the maximum. You should now have a completely unreduced volume level (= maximum possible). To reduce the level you can use any of the three controls - internal DSP inside MC (= the internal volume slider), and the two other controls in the Windows mixer (application and system).

EDIT

I was writing my reply while you posted. Direct Sound is the default output mode. Since you cleared the registry entires and reinstalled it should now be the active mode.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media Center Update Affecting Volume or Settings? [Solved by reinstalling]
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 12:31:38 pm »

Alex, and everyone, thanks for the detailed notes and all for the help.

"These must be specific to a certain sound card driver and control panel. The plain Windows 7 mixer interface does not have "VU meters" (...at least not on my system. My separate Terratec control panel has volume level indicators.")

You are correct, "VU meters" was my inaccurate way of describing volume level indicators, a flashing green streak of light in the Windows 7 Mixer.

"Probably you are using an output mode that bypasses the Windows mixer (WASAPI, ASIO or Kernel Streming) if the meters do not show any indication of the audio output. You could try the Direct Sound mode."

Correct again, Direct Sound installed as the default audio output mode, and the green flashing indicators worked, switching to WASAPI Event Mode (My preference) and the indicators did not flash. Maybe I am loosing my mind, but I could have sworn that the indicators were working in WASAPI Event Mode. So that is my ignorance.

"As a test, you could set MC to use the Internal volume option (set it to maximum) and the Direct Sound output mode without any DSP options checked in MC's DSP Studio."

Yes, that does work! But isn't WASAPI or WASAPI event style (if supported by the hardware) the better choice? Direct Sound sounds a bit brittle to my ear, but as suggested above, it does punch up the volume.

One more question, if I can add DB levels via the sound card output, would that be preferable to MC 16s pre amp settings in equalizer?

Thanks for the help, as I try to navigate through this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up