INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed to open or parse file  (Read 1593 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
Failed to open or parse file
« on: September 04, 2011, 03:01:49 pm »

When playing a DVD folder VIDEO_TS or IFO file which is video type PAL I get the following message box error:

Something went wrong with playback.

Details:
Failed to open or parse file (hr=0x800054005)

I'm using version 16.0.164 and Red October is set to Standard.

A solution would be kindly appreciated.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

lhwidget

• World Citizen
Re: Failed to open or parse file
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:12:42 pm »

Hi,
I'm getting this error with some DVDs I've imported into MC 16 v168 also.  Everything I had imported before installing MC 16 worked, but my DVD rips imported in the last few days triggered the same error.

After putzing around for a long while today, I finally fixed it by Clearing the library & starting over. 

I'm not sure how important it was, but this time I let MC automatically import the files, both DVD and Bluray rips.  192 movies, total import time was about two minutes, and everything works fine now.

I realize my solution is about as elegant as a muddy brick, but it did work.   :)

If anybody knows why, I'd love to know!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 01:13:45 am »

Is your sound output WASAPI? If your hardware s compatible, try it with 0.10 sec buffer.

For your PAL DVDs, try entering 25 in the fps column, manually - currently MC doesn't seem to be reading this data from DVDs.

Try turning off hardware acceleration in Options>Video.

Download and install the latest MC <- do this first.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:53:49 am »

Is your sound output WASAPI? If your hardware s compatible, try it with 0.10 sec buffer.

For your PAL DVDs, try entering 25 in the fps column, manually - currently MC doesn't seem to be reading this data from DVDs.

Try turning off hardware acceleration in Options>Video.

Download and install the latest MC <- do this first.
I've done every single thing you suggested but none of them works: I keep getting the same result.

FYI: I can play the DVD without problems in MediaPlayer Classic.

Any other suggestion would be great, thanks.
Mark Coutinho

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:06:07 am »

Hey Mark,
Try this;  Backup your library & settings, Clear your library, then try importing one of the problem files.

If this works, try another Library bk-up with settings only.  I had to re-do my settings afterwad...

If this doesn't work, no harm, just re-load your backup and keep looking for the problem.

For me, something was going weird with the alias MC uses for VIDEO_TS.IFO files.  Something I was doing in v15 wasn't compatible with v16 database.  The tags I use were still there, all I had to do Clear the Library then re-import the movies.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 02:18:53 pm »

Thanks for that suggestion. Although I did it slightly different (I created a new library instead of cleaning mine), after I imported the movie in the clean library I was able to play it.
So I tried it again in my old library (after deleting the movie I re-imported it) and then it worked in that library too.

Odd...

Thanks again for your help!
Mark Coutinho
Pages: [1]   Go Up