INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: desire: easier way to distribute video  (Read 1767 times)

candycane

• Recent member
desire: easier way to distribute video
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:47:04 pm »

The best current way I can figure out how to distribute video and audio to all my TVs is to have a PC running in each room, since sending video from my main PC video card to several TVs is very hard to do without lots of quality losses, complexity and cost.  I need a simpler distribution method, but I don't want to give up on J River's impressive abilities.

Any chance we could see a DLNA/uPnP renderer from J River that renders video as well as audio?  That would work for me.  thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: desire: easier way to distribute video
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 02:44:28 pm »

The best current way I can figure out how to distribute video and audio to all my TVs is to have a PC running in each room, since sending video from my main PC video card to several TVs is very hard to do without lots of quality losses, complexity and cost.  I need a simpler distribution method, but I don't want to give up on J River's impressive abilities.

Any chance we could see a DLNA/uPnP renderer from J River that renders video as well as audio?  That would work for me.  thanks.
MC is a DLNA renderer for video now.

candycane

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:41:45 pm »

Thanks for that clarification, and sorry for not being clearer.  What I meant was I'd love it of there was a version of an ID-like device that rendered video as well as audio (perhaps via an HDMI port that handled audio and video in addition to the RCA audio outputs).  If forced to forego the RCA audio outputs to gain HDMI, that would be an OK tradeoff, although I'd prefer to have both so I can send the RCA audio to the home theater receiver I have in several rooms and the HDMI to the TV in each of those rooms.  With a few home theater receiver upgrades I could just use an HDMI output from the ID-like renderer to the receiver and send an HDMI output from the home theater receiver to the TV in each room.

There are plenty of media boxes that will do what I want with respect to connectivity to my PC, receivers and TVs, but I think I'd have to dump MC to use a media box like a Roku or Apple TV.  I'm not sure of that conclusion, because DLNA is a bit confusing to me - are there any existing media streamers that have DLNA audio and video rendering capability that MC can control?

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:24:04 am »

Yes - WD TV Live, this is what I use.  It's a standard media player client, as are all these media player boxes, but it also behaves as a DLNA Renderer meaning it can be controlled from another DLNA-aware device, such as MC itself or an app such as Plugplayer on iOS/Android.

Note however that DLNA technology as it stands at the moment doesn't allow for synchronised playback across several devices. If you had a WD TV Live in every room then you can only control them independently, not as a single zone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up