INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Documents covers  (Read 1306 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
Documents covers
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:57 pm »

Say I have various collections of magazines as pdf. The [Name] in MC is the same for all files in a collection, they differ by [Issue], [Date] and so on fields. Now...

1) As I understand that so far we can't retrieve the first page from pdf as the cover, let's just say I add the covers manually. The resulting cover file is named Data - [Name].jpg. So the problem here is that, just the same as with the covers for video content, the filename is not unique.

2) Well, being not unique there will be just one cover file per collection. I was expecting (unhappy but prepared) that all files will get the same cover. Surprisingly they did not. As I looked more into this, Documents don't get any cover automatically even if you have a Data - [Name].jpg next to the corresponding file (Quick find in File... does nothing for me). Maybe because they don't have an [Image] field in their default tags?

Can this situation be improved? I'm really not gonna go and add covers manually to each and every file I have. That's a few thousand mouse clicks too much...

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: Documents covers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:21:39 am »

If you select all your documents, then in the tag window change Media Type to Video, Quick find in file will work. Once all art is added you can change media type back to document.
I separate my documents into folders and name the album art "folder.jpg" JRiver has rename functions to make this easy.

Daydream

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 04:54:21 pm »

While I'm sure that is technically doable it is backwards in many ways from the point of view of any normal workflow, and therefore such solutions should not be encouraged.
I am not going to create 1800 folders for every document I have and alienate settings and options from other media type every time I add more material. Just as the other media types work well, written word should enjoy some love too.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:03:37 pm »

I agree.  We'll get something soon if it can be done easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up