INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting metadata to sidecar files (year calculation)  (Read 1562 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Converting metadata to sidecar files (year calculation)
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:49:59 am »

I'm trying to make a script to edit the files given from the Yammm Metadata scraper files, to be compatible to MC16's sidecar files.
The problems is the sidecar fields that is not plain text. Especially:

<Field Name="Date">39726</Field>
Actual Date in MC: "05.10.2008"

How do you get 39726 from this date??

The XML files provided by Yammm consists of Year only. The sidecar example files I have does not contain the year tag, but the Year tag is filled in MC. Can I just add Year as normal numbers in the sidecar files, or will this have to be filled with a strange number as well?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

CountryBumkin

Re: Converting metadata to sidecar files. Input needed
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:08:25 am »

I don't know for sure about the programs you use - but in Excel ....

Excel stores dates as sequential serial numbers so that they can be used in calculations. By default, January 1, 1900, is serial number 1, and January 1, 2008, is serial number 39448 because it is 39,448 days after January 1, 1900.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:25:13 am »

The looks to be rather accurate. Let's hope the Year tag does not require this serial numbers though. I'm having enough problems converting this data to the sidecar format. This calculations would make my time fly :)

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:30:37 am »

Mr H, there is no "year tag", it's a calculated field..if you can't convert the date (directly), create a string field, then you can copy [date - string] to [date] within mc, after the import, or use confishys autotagger, if you want an easy automated process..
MT5FR

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:14:19 am »

This converting is really not a great solution. I'll try to talk to the author to get him to add JRiver sidecar syntax to the app. How would be the easiest way to add year tags? I'm thinking of a custom Integer field as year, and have an expression to set the date field to this.

Custom field populated with for example "2011" from sidecar file, and Expression adds this to the year field. Or date. It would probably not work. Is there a way I can use AutoTagger to pick up one Year from a temporary field, and convert it to numbers for the Date field?
Pages: [1]   Go Up