INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 16 in a no-Internet environment  (Read 979 times)

Will_L.

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Center 16 in a no-Internet environment
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:25:04 am »

A friend of mine has fallen on troubled times and is now a single father trying to pull it all together. I only mention this so you will understand when I say he can't afford the Internet right now (accept for his cell phone data plan). I am building him an HTPC out of Frankenstein parts here at the house but I am worried about Red October in an Internet-less environment. I've noticed in our house that if the Internet is down, and we're missing a codec, then playback won't start. I poked around in the options but couldn't see how to turn off Red October so I can install CCCP and go from there.

Am I missing something in the options or should I use an old copy of MC12 instead of MC16? Or is there some way to tell Red October to download everything it thinks it will ever need (while connected to my network) and then proceed accordingly?

Thanks so much for your input,

Will.

Will

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Media Center 16 in a no-Internet environment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:32:10 am »

i have a question to add for my own personal info/ and also to help out Will's friend.. if one looses internet, does this mean gizmo in that home environment/network would no longer work as well? how would we be able to register jriver server?

Gulp.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 16 in a no-Internet environment
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:51 am »

A friend of mine has fallen on troubled times and is now a single father trying to pull it all together. I only mention this so you will understand when I say he can't afford the Internet right now (accept for his cell phone data plan). I am building him an HTPC out of Frankenstein parts here at the house but I am worried about Red October in an Internet-less environment. I've noticed in our house that if the Internet is down, and we're missing a codec, then playback won't start. I poked around in the options but couldn't see how to turn off Red October so I can install CCCP and go from there.

Am I missing something in the options or should I use an old copy of MC12 instead of MC16? Or is there some way to tell Red October to download everything it thinks it will ever need (while connected to my network) and then proceed accordingly?
In the same place where you choose Red October, select Advanced/Windows Merit Based.

Maybe his data plan allows tethering (using the phone as the Internet connection).

If you set it to Red October and connect it to your network, just play the filetypes you want to use.  That will download what MC needs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up