INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I display TV "recorded to local drive"(not in MC Library) in Theater View  (Read 1754 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

I have my TV Tuner installed on my Client computer and it records TV Shows to the local drive (S:) on this Client. This part works fine.

How do I setup Theater View on my Client computer so  I can list/view these TV Shows and Watch them on the Client system? I do not need to share these TV Shows to the other computers in my network (so I just want to pull the data/files from the local drive).

I created a new Theater View menu item called "Recorded TV" but I can't get any recorded TV to show. On my Client computer I record to Drive "S:/RecordedTV" and this is also a shared folder called "//9400-V32/RecordedTV").

This is what I setup: I also tried the path as "S:\RcordedTV\" but that did not work either.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I don't understand exactly what you want or what the problem is, but you may need to tell MC to import the jtv files.  Auto Import/[folder]/ and choose Edit.

CountryBumkin

Jim,
I didn't want to import the files (TV recordings)on my client computer into the MC (server) Library. I thought I could just keep those tv shows on the local computer - but my client computer uses a shared Library which is located on the "server" computer.
I thought I could just point the MC program (on my Client machine) to the files on my local (client) hard drive, and MC would play them when I select them.

Now that I'm typing this, I guess there is no way for MC to play the file/show if I don't import it first. I don't know.

All of my movies and audio recordings are on a Server computer, my (three) Client computers share the Server Library. That setup works well. Now I am trying to add just my TV recordings on the Client computer and trying to figure out how to view them in Theater View and play them back (just on the one Client machine).

As I think this through, there is no reason not to share these TV recordings to all the computers. I'll try to import these TV recordings to the Server that and see what I get.

BTW, My tv recordings are being saved at .ts. Is there any benefit to using the .jtv format?

Thanks.

AVTechMan

• World Citizen

This is interesting...I had wanted a way to put in the Recorded TV on my machine as well though mine are the .wtv files that's recorded from WMC. MC plays them fine when looking them up in Explorer view so I suppose if I create that section under "Television" I could import the recorded TV there. All the shows I record from my Ceton card are copy freely so I can transfer them to my server for later viewing.

Haven't used the Server Library but will read on how to use that.

CountryBumkin

Okay, I got it figured out. I set up Server computer to import the folder "Recorded TV" on both my client machines. Then I created a new menu item under Televison (in Theater View) called "Recorded TV". I set the Series name as "Recorded TV" so only TV shows in this Series are displayed when I select Recorded TV from the menu (this way I can delete the shows when I'm done watching and not accidently delete any of the series I'm saving, which are in the MediaSubType "TV Shows" and have an actual series name (like "Lost").

I takes a while to get the hang of this - MC has a high learning curve. This is what it looks like:

This is the menu setup:

And this is the file structure:

Now I need to find a way to scrape the TV shows and get actual episode names. But for now I something workable.
BTW - if there is an easier or better way to set this up, please let me know.
Thanks.

AVTechMan

• World Citizen

This is good info...indeed this program has a high learning curve. In my case I am using the unRAID server which houses all of my media and I think your setup here is based on one of your PC's that you have MC installed on acting as the 'server' and your other three machines as the clients, correct?

What I have been doing so far is importing the folders directly from my unRAID server to both the HTPC and my laptop on MC and any changes made on the server side would make the changes on the clients. I don't think I would need to sync the MC machines right?

CountryBumkin

I don't know if you need to sync or not. I click the sync button on the client machines from time to time but it doesn't appear to do anything. I think this sync button is only needed if you do/add something on the client machine. Since I only make changes on the Server it doesn't "look like" sync does anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up