INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAV CUVID Decoder / MadVR Question  (Read 3322 times)

GaryM

• Recent member
LAV CUVID Decoder / MadVR Question
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:59:10 pm »

OK, I'm ripping DVDs to mkv in order to get the best out of Red October HQ. The filter graph shows that LAV CUVID is in use as the decoder, and madVR the renderer.

If madVR runs in windowed mode I get bad stutter, in exclusive mode all is fine. Using the onscreen display in madVR I see the same info in both modes, nothing significant changes. Of note is:

decoder queue 7-8/8
upload queue 7-8/8
render queue 7-8/8
back buffer queue 2-3/3

Doesn't this indicate something is underpowered?

The GPU, (GT440 DDR3) shows in GPU-Z as only using a few percent of its capability. The CPU (Core 2 Duo E7300) according to system monitor is running at an average of about 50%. I thought LAV CUVID was supposed to ease the CPU load?

Nvidia driver is recent - updated about 3-4 weeks ago. JRiver version is whatever was pushed out about 3 days ago.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: LAV CUVID Decoder / MadVR Question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:06:24 pm »

What's the problem? Run MadVR in exclusive mode (there is a setting in MadVR to alway start in full-screen exclusive mode).
If you're not having any playback issues why worry about CPU or GPU load? I mean, if your load was 99% on both but playback was flawless, isn't that all that matters?  ;D

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:19:12 pm »

Yep, doing that, but I'd like to understand more... if the system is marginal I'd like to understand where.

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:41 pm »

I have misunderstood the queue numbers... I think those numbers suggest everything is running well.

I've played with madVR's settings while looking for the source of the stutter... is there a published default settings list somewhere?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:19:13 am »

Your problem is the DDR3 based card - more similar threads are in this board http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=10.0
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up