INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Proposed HTPC Build  (Read 1762 times)

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
New Proposed HTPC Build
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:01:19 pm »

I am planning to build another HTPC and to update my existing one. My current one is the i3 Clarkdale system which works well but since doing some hard/software changes, I have decided to move the i3 to the bedroom and plan to step up to an i5 system for the living room with a discrete GPU card (no onboard graphics this time). Some parts I will use from the existing system as I don't need the BD drive in the bedroom and such.

Here's the current proposal for the new main room build:

Silverstone GD05B Case

Rosewill Green Series 430 Watts

Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156

MSI N550GTX-Ti Cyclone OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I haven't decided on a motherboard yet so the decision is still being formulated, but it has to be the 1156 socket that can run the Lynnfield above. Since I am transitioning to MC as my media player I am adding the discrete video card to make use of all the filters (MadVR and LAV CUVID) so onboard graphics is not needed.

Plus I have the Ceton tuner card so it would have to exist with the video card. I know the GPU card above will take up 2 slots so will have to get the right board with enough slots.

I am open to suggestions on the MB and chipset.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: New Proposed HTPC Build
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:42:34 pm »

Should all be fine, only comments would be:
- OC GPU:  You will not need it OC'ed but as long as it is quite you should be all good
- TV Tuner:  I'm a big fan of the HDHomeRun as you don't have to install any HW in PC's (it would solve your space issue)
- HDD:  In my shuttle I put a 7200 2.5" 120GB Laptop HDD as it was quite, low heat etc.  If I was to do it today I'd even consider a 64GB SSD as all my media is on the LAN so I don't need any storage over Win7 64-Bit, MC and that is about it!
JRiver CEO Elect

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
Re: New Proposed HTPC Build
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:36:19 pm »

Should all be fine, only comments would be:
- OC GPU:  You will not need it OC'ed but as long as it is quite you should be all good
- TV Tuner:  I'm a big fan of the HDHomeRun as you don't have to install any HW in PC's (it would solve your space issue)
- HDD:  In my shuttle I put a 7200 2.5" 120GB Laptop HDD as it was quite, low heat etc.  If I was to do it today I'd even consider a 64GB SSD as all my media is on the LAN so I don't need any storage over Win7 64-Bit, MC and that is about it!

Yeah I agree I have read the HomeRun is a great tuner, but since I have already invested $300 on the Ceton, I am going to make use of it in the new system. I'll just have to ensure that the cooling is well planned for that and the video card.

I was thinking of going with this for the mobo:

ASRock H55M/USB3 R2.0 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

or maybe

ASUS P7H55-M PRO LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Both of these should work well with the Lynnfield CPU....i'll be reviewing the specs further but either one should do the job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up