INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to set the media-sub type for all imported media?  (Read 2637 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Is there a way to set the media-sub type for all imported media?
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:19:23 pm »

I would like to know if there is a way to have my TV Recordings (automatically) set to media-sub type "single" on import, rather than having to go to the video file properties and manually set this.

My TV recordings are done on two separate HTPCs (each with a hd just for the recordings) and shared to other computers on my ntework via the import feature in MC. Currently (after TV shows are added) when I check the video files (Tags, I think is the correct term) I will see the new recordings either without any media-sub type set or sometimes they import with "TV Show" set as the media sub type.

If I can set this up automatically to set media-sub type as "single" I can sort these TV recordings to a different Theater View (based on media-sub type).

GaryM

• Recent member
Re: Re: Is there a way to set the media-sub type for all imported media?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »

Actually I'd like an option to auto set media sub type based on folder structure ... I rip a dvd of a TV series to mkv files, store them under a folder called TV shows but then have to manually tag the media sub type before they show in theater view. Other apps let you designate your folder structure such that movies and tv etc folders are flagged as such in the library setup.

CountryBumkin

Re: Is there a way to set the media-sub type for all imported media?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 04:29:54 am »

Yea, it would be nice to be able to set media-sub type automatically based on file type. So a "mkv" could be automtically set to media-sub type Movie or TV Show or whatever, as it is being added/imported into MC. That would take care of my situation with the .ts and .wtv imports.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:35:38 am »

+1

SBR

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:52:21 am »

A simple way of adding tags to Auto Import have been asked for several times. We have only seen the "automagic" Media Sub Type guessing so far, which we know is not 100% accurate at all times. It could be so simple as having one drop down menu with library fields, and a static value to assign to the field. That would solve 95% of all this issues, and it would be 100% accurate, as long as your import settings or directories is not screwed up.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 12:55:59 pm »

A simple way of adding tags to Auto Import have been asked for several times. We have only seen the "automagic" Media Sub Type guessing so far, which we know is not 100% accurate at all times. It could be so simple as having one drop down menu with library fields, and a static value to assign to the field. That would solve 95% of all this issues, and it would be 100% accurate, as long as your import settings or directories is not screwed up.

I'd prefer to see the "guessing" revealed to us and made customizable.

for example, there must be some rules that are applied when making the guesses.  if I knew what those rules were, and could change them (to include folder/location), i could "fix" the wrong guesses I'm seeing, as could others for their specific situation.

yes, it adds another thing for a user to manage, but a checkbox for "adjust subtype rules" (set to OFF by default) would behave the same as it does now, but allow flexibility.

I'm sure someday :)
pretend this is something funny

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »

I'd prefer to see the "guessing" revealed to us and made customizable.

Agreed. Hopefully, the need for this will be displaced by an auto-tagging feature. The default configuration for [Media Sub Type] would include whatever rules currently constitute the "guessing." If those default rules didn't work for you, you could easily modify then. Or, as you suggest, if the files are already in folders by sub-type, it would make sense to replace the default rules with a simple file path rule.

But this is just one many things such a feature would do. It would, for example, get [Series], [Season], [Episode] and [Name] (episode title) from file names matching any commonly used file-naming scheme for episodes. Again, if your file-naming scheme were a little unconventional or not perfectly consistent, you would just modify the default rules according to your needs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up