INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any real world experience with MC installed on WHS?  (Read 1397 times)

kewe65

• World Citizen
Any real world experience with MC installed on WHS?
« on: September 27, 2011, 10:42:26 am »

I have not tried this yet but was interested in hearing any feedback if anyone has tried installing MC directly on the home server and then having all the client PCs connect to the library managed by the application on that server.

Seems like it should work just fine, with a few minor limitations:
- Changes to the library made from the local PC are synced to other clients should work fine
- MC needs to be always be running on the WHS and managing the media network settings will require using RDC - cannot be done from a client PC (correct?)
- Are there performance concerns with the application running on a server with 1GB of RAM?  Will it impact the WHS running other functions?

I've played with WHS Outlook and WHS Quicken - set up much the same way as they require installation of the application on the WHS, but come with an add-in to manage core functions/access to the data.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Any real world experience with MC installed on WHS?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 10:53:56 am »

I have not tried this yet but was interested in hearing any feedback if anyone has tried installing MC directly on the home server and then having all the client PCs connect to the library managed by the application on that server.

Seems like it should work just fine, with a few minor limitations:
- Changes to the library made from the local PC are synced to other clients should work fine
- MC needs to be always be running on the WHS and managing the media network settings will require using RDC - cannot be done from a client PC (correct?)
- Are there performance concerns with the application running on a server with 1GB of RAM?  Will it impact the WHS running other functions?

I've played with WHS Outlook and WHS Quicken - set up much the same way as they require installation of the application on the WHS, but come with an add-in to manage core functions/access to the data.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I have tried this on both WHS v1 and WHS v2 but you will soon find out that with no way to keep MC running (as a service) the server instance cannot stay on or stay stable - unless you leave the server open to security problems by staying logged onto the server with a user acct indefinitely. As designed - if you log off the WHS normally - your instance of MC will shut down too and no one can connect.

Now - there are bunch of different ways to try and have MC run as a service - but none ever seemed really viable to me - and I didn't like the idea of hacking the server too much - so I gave up on the "run MC from the server" routine and have now just stored my actual music files on the WHS and having the actual "library server" be my main workstation running Windows 7. This setup works perfectly as all my other clients simply connect to my PC as "library server" and play away. My machine is up from 5am to whenever at night anyway - so needing MC actually "running" on the server is a bit of a moot point. Also - there are numerous issues with updating files, tags and other stuff that makes an "isolated" MC on the server seem not that great after a while.

I would rather have complete control of all aspects of the main library by being able to edit it in real time on a real workstation and have those changes be immediately available to my clients - rather than having to "remote" into the server all the time and do library maintenance "on the server" using the server based copy of MC.

YMMV....

VP

kewe65

• World Citizen
Re: Any real world experience with MC installed on WHS?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:30:05 pm »

I have tried this on both WHS v1 and WHS v2 but you will soon find out that with no way to keep MC running (as a service) the server instance cannot stay on or stay stable - unless you leave the server open to security problems by staying logged onto the server with a user acct indefinitely. As designed - if you log off the WHS normally - your instance of MC will shut down too and no one can connect.
Yes, this makes total sense.  Those other applications use the add-ins to run apps as services

Now - there are bunch of different ways to try and have MC run as a service - but none ever seemed really viable to me - and I didn't like the idea of hacking the server too much - so I gave up on the "run MC from the server" routine and have now just stored my actual music files on the WHS and having the actual "library server" be my main workstation running Windows 7. This setup works perfectly as all my other clients simply connect to my PC as "library server" and play away. My machine is up from 5am to whenever at night anyway - so needing MC actually "running" on the server is a bit of a moot point. Also - there are numerous issues with updating files, tags and other stuff that makes an "isolated" MC on the server seem not that great after a while.

I use a similar set-up.  I have the WHS storing all the media files and a main library on a win 7 workstations.  I just added a HTPC to the mix and from there used the functionality of loading the main library from the WS.   Worked fine which got me thinking it could work the same on the WHS, but still has limitations.

The small glitch in my mileage is that the workstation is my home office/studio next to my work PC and is the PC I use to manage the main library, and as a result goes into sleep mode when not in use.  I could switch that around so the HTPC becomes the home to the main library.

Have you tried moving the library 'file' to the WHS and having the clients all load the same library file?  I guess there really isn't much benefit if the above works.
[/quote]

I would rather have complete control of all aspects of the main library by being able to edit it in real time on a real workstation and have those changes be immediately available to my clients - rather than having to "remote" into the server all the time and do library maintenance "on the server" using the server based copy of MC.

Yes, we share the same objectives.  If the server and library components could live on the server and operate as a service while the interface components to manage them were on the clients that would be the best of both worlds to me.  I could have complete control regardless which PC i was using...
Pages: [1]   Go Up