INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to move audio files in same computer to different drive, need directions?  (Read 2507 times)

idsticky

• Recent member

1st I have ripped 457 albums (131 GB) to my hard drive, Filled it up (wouldn't you know it), I have MC 16 in my PC with Vista running to Logitech Touch as my source.
My Flac files are in a folder called Music on my C drive not under C Drive where they are kept some where I presume, the drive is now about filled. Time to move files.
I have an E hard drive in same computer which has 300GB of space for my Library and allows me to grow it. Need to move files here.
I can't transfer files between these drives (just they way they are configured), I can place the files on a removable 500GB H Dive I use for back up if need be interim.
I am a newbie and a bit confused and don't want to screw up all the HOURS I have put in ripping my collection, man is this alot of hours.
I wish there was a MC to Squeeze box Touch 101 Manuel.  But so be it, I am at where I am at.  Logitch tells me MC is not supported by them and can not help with this.

Okay so what do I do or is there a thread on this I have missed, I have searched??
Need to move files between these drives, have no idea where Cover art is going currently as well??  Need to make sure all runs right after set up, that is it.
Pretty easy to configure TOUCH to go to E drive for files when I have set up, I presume is all that is.
Help would be be appreciated ?
Maybe one day I will be able to help another on this board.  I am too dangerous at this point.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Please see my post further down for probably a safer way to do this.

idsticky

• Recent member

Excelent, thank you both for your help, tonight I will give it a go.
What of the cover art?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Go into options and select file location. Then post here what you see under Cover Art.

One slight modification to the process I mentioned above might be required, depending on whether the cover art or other files are in the same folders as your flacs. In fact I'll repost the whole lot with the modification
Select all your files that you wish to move.
Go to Library tools -> Rename,Move, & Copy files
In the dialog box, select Update database to point to new location (no filename rename, move, or copy) from the top left drop-down menu.

Choose the third checkbox (find/replace)
Under find, put in C:\
Under Replace, put in E:\

Then you click ok. Now MC thinks all your files are on the E drive. They aren't... yet.

Next go into Windows Explorer copy your Music folder from the C:\ drive to the same level in the E:\ drive.
Now all your files will start to be copied from the C to the E drive, and will continue to keep the same directory substructure. e.g. C:\Music\Vanilla Ice\Ice-Ice, Baby\I'm so cool.flac will move to E:\Music\Vanilla Ice\Ice-Ice, Baby\I'm so cool.flac as far as MC is concerned.

Once you check all works well, you may delete the music from the C drive. Best to do this as it gives you a backup too in case something goes wrong during the move.

idsticky

• Recent member

Okay, now the cover art, my link is below as requested, when I move as instructed what do I do to make sure the cover art is connected correctly and on my Squeezebox Touch correctly?  What changes should I make after music is moved to my E DRIVE to the below current settings under tools/options/file location?
I can ask Logitech questions as well if I need to, maybe I should ask them something first?  Love my Squeezebox Touch out to my dac.

From File location

Cover art (3 lines of selection)

Box checked: In a specified folder (I see the two other choices)
Folder:  C:\Users\MY Name\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Cover Art\
Box checked:  Also store image in the file's tag

Thanks for the help!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

See post below.

Please try this on a few files at a time, until you've understood what is going on and all is working as you expect:

Cover art (3 lines of selection)

Box checked: In a specified folder (You see the two other choices)
Folder: E:\Wherever you want
Box checked:  Also store image in the file's tag

Now copy all your Cover Art files from: C:\Users\MY Name\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Cover Art\ to E:\Wherever you want

In standard view, make sure the Image File field is visible on the column headings.
Currently, you will see all of them start with C:\Users\MY Name\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Cover Art\

Select all the files you have and then rightclick: Cover Art>Quick Find in File / Cover Art Directory.

MC should now be looking in the new location,   E:\Wherever you want, and the Image File entry for each file should change to reflect this.

Again, once you are satisfied with the outcome, you can delete the cover art from the original location.

lepa

• MC Beta Team

I believe this is also one possible way to do this

1. In Options>>File Locations>>Cover Art. Change Folder below to point E:\Wherever you want

Box checked: In a specified folder (You see the two other choices)
Folder: E:\Wherever you want
Box checked:  Also store image in the file's tag

2. Apply changes in options.

3. Select all the music files and from right click menu >> Cover Art >> Save Cover art to external location specified in options.

This doesn't delete the original files. So you can delete them by hand if you wish when you are sure everything went well.

If you go ahead with this way of course try it first with few files so there won't be any sad surprises.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

If I were me, which I am, I'd choose Lepa's way. It's simpler and will do the same thing! :)
In fact this is exactly how I do do it usually. Doh!

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!

If I were me, which I am, I'd choose Lepa's way. It's simpler and will do the same thing! :)
In fact this is exactly how I do do it usually. Doh!

;D

love it
. . . the game is rigged

idsticky

• Recent member

:) Awesome listening right now, all moved and working great, control listening with droid typing on now.   Now I have room to grow my library.  Thanks!!!

So what can I do to make source flac files play better on my killer 16 bit dac system?
I know I need to do some tweaking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up