INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20 Amp Hospital grade AC receptacle Does wonders to your sound quallity  (Read 6803 times)

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?

I have worked for the Highend A/V industry for a long time now. And I have to say that the cheapest and Biggest upgrade you can give your system is installing a 20Amp Hospital Grade Isolated ground AC receptacle. Don't worry it is safe to install on a 15 Amp circuit. Why this? it has a more firm and tight contact. The tighter the contact the more current it provides to the components connected. The more current you provided to the amplifier, the better it is able to control Dynamic range. Bass is very tight and open, Mids and highs are more liquid sounding with more transient sounds. The atmospheric sounds are much more open, detailed and natural sounding. Anyone with knowledge should try this. Not much to lose.
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

bobp

• Recent member
Re: 20 Amp Hospital grade AC receptacle Does wonders to your sound quallity
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:37:11 pm »

+1

Hospital grade relates to safe use in an Oxygen rich environment such as
emergency ward where regular outlets must not be used. Why? Because there is micro arcing between plug blades and receptacle metal contacts.

In Hospital, it means - kaboom.

In audiophile system, it means EMI/RFI noise.

It is important to replace ALL receptacles on the same breaker because noise from the
other receptacle on the same breaker could seep into the audio equipment.

While we are at micro arcing, it also makes sense to clean all plug blades with lighter fluid to remove gunk and then treat with CAIG or similar contact spray. Repeat once a year.

Ideally, all cheapo plugs should be replaced with decent Hubbel or Marinco for "pit bull"
grip.

If you are into experimenting, try 20A plugs vs 15 A of the same brand. 20A will work better. Guess why?  Live and Neutral blades are not parallel. 

(n.b. North American wiring only)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:51:35 pm »

The power amps get the current from capacitors. The "quality" of the mains does not matter.

The four 22,000 μF capacitors in a 2 x 270w vintage receiver:

Photo credit: http://www.iavscanada.com/Articles/art_interview.htm
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:19:53 pm »

The power amps get the current from capacitors. The "quality" of the mains does not matter.

The four 22,000 μF capacitors in a 2 x 270w vintage receiver:

Photo credit: http://www.iavscanada.com/Articles/art_interview.htm

I must admit that when I first saw this post the term 'snake oil' ran through my mind.

A small nitpick Alex: The power amps get their current from their internal DC power supply which of course has to originally come from the mains. The capacitors provide surge current ability besides their job of filtering.

Another thing to consider for those thinking about putting 20 amp outlets on a 15 amp circuit - I don't think an electrical inspector would appreciate it.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:29:23 pm »

thinking about putting 20 amp outlets on a 15 amp circuit - I don't think an electrical inspector would appreciate it.
As long as the circuit is guarded by a 15 amp circuit breaker, I think it's harmless.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 03:06:23 pm »

As long as the circuit is guarded by a 15 amp circuit breaker, I think it's harmless.

I tried to 'Paste' a .jpg image of a portion of the NEC (Code) and paste was not allowed for some reason when I right clicked.

Anyway the 2002 NEC (I know, that's old) states that for two or more receptacles on a 15 amp branch circuit the receptacles can not be over 15 amp. Some infer from that that it's okay to have a single 20 amp outlet on the circuit, but we apparently are in a gray area there.

I tend to agree with Jim that it's probably harmless, but I believe the code has two intents here: 1. Not to allow nuisance tripping of the breaker and 2. no possibility of heating the 15 amp rated wire before the breaker trips. Number two seems extremely unlikely.

So I do stand by my statement that "I don't think your electrical inspector would appreciate it". And if there was ever an insurance claim that had anything to do with that circuit I could sure envision the insurance company using that issue as a cop out.

Rod

bobp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 03:54:27 pm »

I must admit that when I first saw this post the term 'snake oil' ran through my mind.
Rod

Rod, "snake oil" is not synonym with "hoax".
http://www.healthiertalk.com/real-snake-oil-scam-3891

You are right, ironclad grip hospital grade could be remedy for some of EMI/RFI related issues :-) 

What we might think of being fake could actually be well defined by the laws of physics. Please bear in mind that absence of evidence is not an evidence of absence when we discuss phenomena related to reproduction of music.

Ever wondered why system sounds better late at night?  Heck, amp has the same capacitors around the clock

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 01:13:27 pm »

Ever wondered why system sounds better late at night?  Heck, amp has the same capacitors around the clock

Less outside noise?

I will not be swayed by obvious shills for the 20Amp Hospital Grade Isolated ground AC receptacle lobby.

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?

The point between Hospital grade outlets (20 amp or 15 amp) is that there is a tighter and more firm contact. What does this mean? It means that current can move more freely. The tighter the contacts the better the current can flow. Good power amps benefit when current can flow more efficiently. If you use isolated ground then I would suggest you have it connected to a separate grounding post that isn't connected to the rest of the house.
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I love this thread  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 05:40:21 am »

The point between Hospital grade outlets (20 amp or 15 amp) is that there is a tighter and more firm contact. What does this mean? It means that current can move more freely. The tighter the contacts the better the current can flow.
No, no, no, no, no.  This is bad information.  Sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up