INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When Steve Jobs was 24  (Read 1421 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
When Steve Jobs was 24
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:33:54 am »

In 1979, I had a wood stove business on First Street in Minneapolis.  It was a crumby warehouse district then, with most buildings in disrepair and ten or fifteen big orange moving trucks parked out front.  The building I had bought a couple years before for $29,000 had three floors of 2,000 square feet each, but it was rough.  Unusable really.  Now the neighborhood has a lot of apartments and it's considered a desirable place to live.

The business wasn't going very well then, so I was forced to learn more about accounting.  Around the same time, a friend of mine came to visit from Boston.  He was hot to buy an HP calculator.  When I asked him if it was a computer, he said yes and explained that there were now a couple of small computers available.  One from Altair in a kit form.  The other from Apple.  They were called Microcomputers.

I'd had a college course in math that spent a couple weeks on programming, so I'd been exposed to the basics of punch card programming on an IBM mainframe.  When I heard that I could buy a computer for $2500, I was immediately interested.  That week, we went to visit a new store called Computerland.  There we saw the new Apple II.  It was basically a big empty plastic box with a keyboard on the outside and a circuit board on the inside.

I asked the salesman whether there was an accounting program available for it.  He didn't know.  I asked what software they did have.  They didn't have any, but he said they had a list of software available.  He went in the back and found a xeroxed list of about ten pages.  Maybe 50 programs.  I asked if I could get a copy.  He said no.

I bought the computer, and added a black and white monitor (24 lines of 40 characters), 16KB of memory (it came with 32KB) and a floppy disc drive.  This added another $1000.

I realize now that Steve Jobs was just 24 then.  I know that now because I'm ten years older than he was.

I used the computer in my business and discovered really quickly that the state of software then was pretty dismal.  A year later Visicalc came out and the software industry got going.  I thought maybe I'd start a software business, but I fooled around for another year before I did it.  That was 1981.  We did accounting software for the first six years, then switched to networking software.

In 1981, IBM came out with the PC.  You bought it for about $2500.  It had a floppy drive.  The OS (DOS) was $100 more.

JRiver is 30 years old this month.  Time flies.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: When Steve Jobs was 24
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:04:01 am »

Happy Anniversary.

I never had an Apple, I Had A Commodore Vic-20 I bought in 1980 Or 1981, My first computer.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »

It's great to discover the past of JRiver. Pretty amazing story.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:26:48 pm »

I think Jim has a picture of him self with his computer, and wearing plaid pants, and his disco suit.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:04:32 pm »

Plaid shirt, jeans, boots.  I still wear the same thing.  My mom is on the left, and a woman who worked in the store.  It's about 1978.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 04:12:10 pm »

yes I seen that picture before.

the computer is the black thing in the center that has a cooling tower going up thru the roof.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up