INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Find New Saved View Schemes  (Read 2078 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can't Find New Saved View Schemes
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »

After using MC for a long time I finally decided to seriously learn how to set up new view schemes. I created a few new Audio ones. After I created them I saved them using new names. They showed in the main (Parent?) list on the left of the screen under Audio. They also showed the information that I wanted. Good so far.

So I shut down MC and started it later. All my new views are gone! This can't be! I have done the following:

1. Looked all over the program for a way to load my views. Could only find Load Saved Views under Customize, but that only loads some default views.

2. Searched the WIKI. Found lots of information on creating view schemes but nothing on saving them and restoring them.

3. Searched the Forum. Found users way more experienced than I that were "Confused" about the same issue. I could not understand some of what they suggested and at the end one mentioned that he thought there may be a bug in the program.

4. Started to pull out some of my few remaining hairs, but decided to post here instead.

I MUST BE missing something obvious. With all the incredibly complex things this program can do it's hard to imagine that there isn't simple to use functionality to select the view schemes that you want to show: Both while in the program and as your own default. Please tell me I have totally missed the obvious.

Also I had planned to 'Export' my new view schemes to another Client. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for any help you may offer this frustrated user.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't Find New Saved View Schemes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »

After using MC for a long time I finally decided to seriously learn how to set up new view schemes. I created a few new Audio ones. After I created them I saved them using new names. They showed in the main (Parent?) list on the left of the screen under Audio. They also showed the information that I wanted. Good so far.

So I shut down MC and started it later. All my new views are gone! This can't be! I
Maybe you did this on a client.  Try doing the same thing on the server.  Not every change made on a client is synced back to the server.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:04:53 pm »

Maybe you did this on a client.  Try doing the same thing on the server.  Not every change made on a client is synced back to the server.

Thanks for the response Jim.

I had thought that View Schemes would be applied only on the Client they were created on. You are giving me the impression that they are saved in the library on the Server.

So new questions based on saving them on the Server:

1. How do I chose the views I want to have show on a particular Client?

2. Can those View schemes be set up to always show on that Client.

3. How do I back up View Schemes?

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:14:19 pm »

Rod,
You may know more about this than I do already.  My advice is to try it on the server.

How's the boating going?  Did you see these nice radar images?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66909.msg448716#msg448716

Jim

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:28:17 pm »

Rod,
You may know more about this than I do already.  My advice is to try it on the server.

How's the boating going?

Jim

Thanks for the humor Jim! (I'm sure I know tremendously less than you do!)

After my last post I created a new view Scheme on the server. Closed MC on the Server and reopened it and the new view was still there. Then went to a Client. Closed MC, reopened and the new View Scheme showed. This is good! In giving more thought I guess it's really okay to have all view schemes show on all Clients. As long as this behavior lasts it will be fine.

Still would like to know how to backup View Schemes, but guess that goes along with backing up the library. I need to research that some more.

We just got back from a very late two week summer vacation on our boat. Had a wonderful time in Desolation sound, British Columbia, Canada. It has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world to boat - and we live only four hours away with our seven knot trawler. Very fortunate indeed! This is after season here so we had some incredible anchorages all to ourselves.

Rod

Edit:  I just looked at your RADAR images. Incredible! Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 01:01:52 am »

Morning Rod,

When you save a view using the option found in the "Customise View" tool, MC saves the view as a .jvi file.

This post contains a couple of links to other posts I've made where I try to explain the inner workings of "Saved Views" and therefore, why they are more than a little difficult to work with.

View Scheme changes on clients are not synced back to the server. They'll stay on the client until the served library is next loaded. (Here's another case for a merged "local plus served library" idea I kicked out there a week or so ago)

While I haven't tried it, I see no reason why you couldn't save the view on the client as a jvi file and then add it to the server MC later, although simply changing the available views on the served library directly is probably easier. All clients will be served the same views. It is not currently possible to serve specific views to specific clients.

-marko

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »

Hi Marko,

Thanks very much for your further explanation and link. It's all helpful.

Not sure what you are referring to "Here's another case for a merged "local plus served library" as I didn't notice the post it was originally in. But I'm wondering if it might be the idea of running a local library on the Client that is updated from the Server. I've been toying with doing this lately. It would be good if a person wants different views, etc. on their clients.

So far for us it's fine to have everything the same everywhere, so I'm satisfied the way it's working now. By Creating the View Schemes on the Server they are all being saved fine and show up on each Client.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up