INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use MC server without sound card?  (Read 1985 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
How to use MC server without sound card?
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:57:03 am »

I've upgraded my server, and the Microsoft 2008 Server OS does not like the new motherboards audio component or their drivers. So I have no sound card installed. I don't really NEED sound on my server, as everything connected has it's own sound source. But, it seems that I can't play anything on the server and there is several library fields that is not populated. Like duration. I guess the loss of analyzing is because of the problems with playback. This is the biggest problem.

Is there any way around this, other than purchasing a new sound card? Could I somehow set the sound to null and still be able to stream content with Gizmo or web play, and update the library fields with duration etc?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: How to use MC server without sound card?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:19:02 am »

Not sure if it would work but what about a virtual sound card driver?

http://www.e2esoft.cn/vsc/

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:22:52 am »

Good idea. I'll test it later.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:07:48 am »

I have no experience of the "e2eSoft VSC" product, but I have used Virtual Audio Cable for years (not with Windows 2008 Server though):

http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

If the new mobo has a free PCI slot you should also be able to find an inexpensive used Sound Blaster PCI 128 or similar from eBay, Amazon, etc (or whatever you have in Norway...)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:06:25 pm »

one vote here for ESI Juli@ card. 

Rock solid, should be able to be had for $100
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 07:03:09 pm »

It turns out that Microsoft have dropped the ability to "Leave Sound at the remote computer" for Windows Server 2008. It's just NOT possible to use together with Remote Desktop. 2008 Server disables sound devices during RDP sessions. So, now I have to look at alternatives like VNC. It costs money and are not as fast and efficient... Darn it! MS does not seem to have any intention on fixing this problem either. Despite the hundreds of people complaining about this, it's intended behavior. The "Leave at remote computer" option just do the exact same thing as another option called "Do not play". Logical  ::)

So, now that I have "fixed" this issue, I have to update all the duration tags on my server. What is the most effective way to re-analyze my videos? I did not find any direct tools for this in MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up