INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you display the number of album artists and albums in a view?  (Read 1457 times)

bhahn

• Junior Woodchuck

I'd like to be able to display the number of album artists and number of albums in a given view. For instance in the genre view, I'd like to see the number of album artists in that view as well as the number of albums. I've been attempting to do this by adding a new expression, but I can't figure it out.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do you display the number of album artists and albums in a view?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:21:01 pm »

The expression language operates only on individual files, so no expression can tell you directly things like how many artists, albums or tracks exist. You can get the information indirectly by creating a list with one of each value of interest, like one track from each artist (i.e., ~nodup=[Artist]). The answer with then be the number of files in the list—which appears in the status bar at the bottom.

The easier solution is just to use a Panes View. The first item in each pane shows the number of unique values in that category for the current collection. That will work for [Artist], but not for [Album] if you have multiple albums named things like "Greatest Hits." That's easily solved by using instead a pane for [Artist]\[Album].

The screenshot illustrates both solutions in one view. I created Smartlists for unique values of Artist, Album and Track. These automatically appear in my Playlists pane. I've made pane selection of Rock Artists with Single-artist albums, and see I have 193 such artists.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:14:48 pm »

I'm glad to see 2112 at the top of the album list...  8)
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 03:12:19 am »

I'm glad to see 2112 at the top of the album list...

Nice of you to notice that, rather than The Very Best of a-ha (which, of course, I have only for historical reference). ;D

bhahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:39 am »

Thanks for the help Rick. The panes view did the trick.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up