INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with iOS 5 and/or iTunes 10.5?  (Read 5302 times)

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Problems with iOS 5 and/or iTunes 10.5?
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:43:01 am »

Hi All,

Previously, I've always been able to use "Export to iTunes & iPhone" to export tracks to my iPhone 3gs. However, I upgraded to iTunes 10.5 and iOS 5, and this feature is no longer working. I now get this message when I select *only* my iPhone as a destination:

"please select one or more destinations"

If I also select the "iTunes Library" destination, then it does transfer files, but *only* to the iTunes library, and not to my iPhone.

I'm using Media Center 16.0.179.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Problems with iOS 5 and/or iTunes 10.5?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:45:47 am »

I've just tried this on an older version of Media Center -- 16.0.103 -- and the same thing happens, which indicates that this is caused by some change to the iTunes SDK.

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:25:16 am »

I have an iOS 5 3GS as well and is "working" with sending to itunes library and then manually sync, but anyway the feature need some attention and improve, I think the changes will come in MC17
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:09:29 pm »

I have an iOS 5 3GS as well and is "working" with sending to itunes library and then manually sync, but anyway the feature need some attention and improve, I think the changes will come in MC17

Yes, that works, but exporting directly to the iPhone no longer works, as of iOS 5 (it always worked perfectly before I upgraded from iOS 4). So, this is a new issue for the current version, not something that will be first implemented in MC17.

I also don't want to rely on exporting to the iTunes library and then using iTunes to sync to my iPhone. I tried that last night, and it was *incredibly* slow, and crashed about a tenth of the way through.

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 02:30:58 am »

I've figured out the problem. iTune's "Manually manage music and videos" option was not enabled. When I enabled it, MC was able to export to the iPhone. Has this behaviour changed? Was MC able to export to an iPhone with this option disabled in previous versions of iTunes? In any case, this information should probably be added to the instructions for exporting to iPhones.

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 12:35:58 pm »

After Sinnerman's help I thought I had this figured out ... but apparently not. That is I still don't believe I have iTunes configured properly for allowing MC17 to export direct to my iPhone 4 (iOS5), and possibly JRiver hasn't yet quite anticipated the proper iTunes (10.5.1) configuration, or provided us with the instructions ...

As is, I can only get MC17 to add songs, and it refuses to sync in the sense of removing tracks not visible in the selected playlist.  I was hoping I could disable "Sync Music" in iTunes and use MC17 for syncing direct (as direct as it can be, but still via the iTunes SDK (which must be a moving target for JRiver).  However, I still cannot get MC17 to export to the iPhone, even when "Sync MUsic" is enabled in iTunes ...

The best I can come up with and use dependably, is to re-enable "Sync Music" in iTunes, ... have MC17 write to an iTunes playlist ... and then sync my iPhone via iTunes.  

Because I still believe I'm missing something, it would be good to hear from JRiver regarding just how they imagined this working.

EDIT:  I see that MC17 is using the conversion cache for this without really converting anything.  Does this mean we'll soon be able to convert our high bit-rate tracks to something appropriate for mobile headphones and allowing for our iPods to hold more tracks? ... I hope so  :)

Another small bug I'm experiencing is that I cannot listen to music while this export process is running ... i.e., MC will not move to the next track in the playlist ...

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

pqcgebxm

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »

shAf, I think this feature just exports to iTunes/iPhone -- it does not sync. Before exporting, I always first use iTunes to erase all of the tracks on my iPhone, and then export from Media Centre.
Pages: [1]   Go Up