INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to sharpen video  (Read 3634 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
how to sharpen video
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:55:07 pm »

Is it possible and what is the best method of sharpening video with Red October standard?

Thanks for your help.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: how to sharpen video
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:01:52 pm »

I am fairly certain you cannot sharpen videos using Red October. You would need to use custom filters and go back to using ffdshow instead of LAV Video.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:18:58 pm »

Thanks. I will give it a try.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:33:49 am »

All sharpening does is destroy original data and replace it with fake data and artefacts.  Sharpening should be disabled on all filters...

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:13:41 am »

Well... You can't say that it does not alter the original picture, but if that is an improvement or degradation is up to the user. I used FFdshow with post processing before, and the result of low resolution videos was stunning. I did not only sharpen, but resize, sharpen, blur and so on. On things like DVD's it made a really good difference. Now on the other hand, I only use HD media, and are about to delete all my DVD images. So it's not needed any more. But if I still was into DVD's, avi's and xvid or what not, I would not hesitate to use post processing.

Try to look up some FFDshow post processing guides to get a push in the right direction.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 11:38:13 am »

For those of us that can use RO HQ there will hopefully be an update to MADVR to allow it to work on DVDs. Does anyone know if this (hoped for update) will do most of what the FFdshow post processing does?

Thanks,
Rod

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:45:30 pm »

@nwboater
I am using RO HQ with filters and DVDs stored in .mkv containers. MCs playback method for .mkv files is automatic.
I  have checked the FPS tag to have the exact frame rate as the video stream. In my case it is 50 for most DVDs. Then I have configured the advanced display settings to select a native resolution from the TV that matches the video stream ex 720x576x32x50. The important value here is the refresh rate, it has to match FPS.
This way MadVR is rendering my DVDs beautifully.

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:28:45 pm »

Is it possible and what is the best method of sharpening video with Red October standard?

Thanks for your help.

RO is subject to the VPP setting exposed by your GPU.  Right click on the desktop and select the GPU control panel and browse to the appropriate section (LMK your GPU and I can tell you exactly, it's different for each) and mess with the settings until you get the desired change.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:05:58 pm »

@nwboater
I am using RO HQ with filters and DVDs stored in .mkv containers. MCs playback method for .mkv files is automatic.
I  have checked the FPS tag to have the exact frame rate as the video stream. In my case it is 50 for most DVDs. Then I have configured the advanced display settings to select a native resolution from the TV that matches the video stream ex 720x576x32x50. The important value here is the refresh rate, it has to match FPS.
This way MadVR is rendering my DVDs beautifully.

Thanks very much for the explanation.

Two problems here:

1. I don't use MKVs for my DVDs, so would have to re rip for this to work I guess.

2. I just realized that I hijacked this thread. It was about RO Standard. So if there is anything more to discuss in this vein we should take it to a new thread.

Thanks again.

Rod

rjm

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:11:12 pm »

RO is subject to the VPP setting exposed by your GPU.  Right click on the desktop and select the GPU control panel and browse to the appropriate section (LMK your GPU and I can tell you exactly, it's different for each) and mess with the settings until you get the desired change.

Thanks for the tip. My video card is very old and does not have a sharpen feature. I'll have to wait for my next upgrade.

nwboater,

No worries about hijacking the thread. I'm learning something.

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 06:04:27 am »

Thanks for the tip. My video card is very old and does not have a sharpen feature.

Does it have NR options?

rjm

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »

It's an old ATI AIW and only offers color and brightness adjustments.

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 12:55:54 pm »

If the CPU is from the same era, your VPP options are going to be pretty limited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up