INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC/Squeezebox library problem  (Read 2155 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
MC/Squeezebox library problem
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:10:31 pm »

Please send me off in the right direction if 1) this is the wrong MC forum, or 2) this is a Squeezebox issue.
A few days ago, I thought it would be a good idea to let SB rescan my library, which is on an external HD, but I made sure the path was right.
However, after scanning my library, SB comes up with 390 tracks, instead of 18000 something. The same (only with fewer hits) happened when I rescanned my playlist folder (Username/AppData/Roaming/J River/Media Center 16/Library). Any ideas of what could be wrong, from a MC point of view?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC/Squeezebox library problem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:16:35 pm »

Are you running SB 7.6.0 or 7.6.1?  There are known scanning issues with these releases.

Which location is the SB playlist folder configured to use?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:50 pm »

I'm running 7.6.1. Does this mean I should address the Logitech user forum (as well)?
The SB playlist folder is set to use C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Library\Playlists.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:28:41 pm »

Use the nightly 7.6.2 update:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.6

Ignore the "beta" label, as 7.6.0 and 7.6.1 were just as "beta" - Logitech has no Q/A resources for SB software these days, and the "releases" are entirely date driven.  The scanning bugs have been fixed in 7.6.2.

Probably it is not wise to set SB's playlist folder to MC's private data directory.  Create your own playlist folder on your external HD perhaps, where you music is located.  Set SB to use this.  SB has no business scanning inside MC's directory.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »

Thanks a lot!
Would a copy&paste job do for making a new folder for SB to connect to? Anyway, this has been VERY helpful so far. By sorting out this what-is-the-smartest-way-to-create-a-new-folder-issue, I will consider this problem solved! :) (I suppose.) BTW: is the reason for no SB software forum simply that it is a bit outdated?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:56:51 pm »

You're welcome.

I'm not following you re: the copy/paste.  Can you elaborate?

RE: an SB-specific forum here in JRiver land, I don't think there are that many SB users here.  I'm certainly one, and there are a handful of others too.  SB software is discussed of course on the older (original) SB forums and the newer Logitech forums for SB software.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can install Whitebear Media Server (a DLNA server for Squeezebox Server) and use MC to control playback of your SBs.  This is a really nice feature.  The SBs appear as zones in MC, and you then just send tracks to a given SB.

You can point both MC and SB to use the same music folder.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »

You're welcome.

I'm not following you re: the copy/paste.  Can you elaborate?

RE: an SB-specific forum here in JRiver land, I don't think there are that many SB users here.  I'm certainly one, and there are a handful of others too.  SB software is discussed of course on the older (original) SB forums and the newer Logitech forums for SB software.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can install Whitebear Media Server (a DLNA server for Squeezebox Server) and use MC to control playback of your SBs.  This is a really nice feature.  The SBs appear as zones in MC, and you then just send tracks to a given SB.

You can point both MC and SB to use the same music folder.

Elaborating: I'm not certain whether you mean moving my MC folder to the external drive, or creating a copy of my C://....playlist folder on the ED, to which I should point SB. But by saying "You can point both MC and SB to use the same music folder", I suppose you mean the former. I will certainly check out Whitebear. I've seen it mentioned in several posts, but never really dug into what it really is. I'll give it a try right away.
Again, thanks a lot. You've been very helpful.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 04:33:46 pm »

When you set up SB server software, you're asked to specify two directories: 1: the music folder, 2: the playlist folder.

Your music folder is currently on your external HD.  You've configured SB to use that location via (1), and presumably MC as well knows that music is contained in that folder (eg. configured in MC's auto-import).

MC manages its playlists in an MC-specific format inside its own private data directory.  You don't want to point (2) above at this private data folder.  SB should have its own playlist folder, perhaps also on your external HD, in some Playlist-only folder.  If you want to share a playlist from MC to SB, export it via MC into the location specified in (2).  Then you have SB rescan for new or updated playlists.

You can leave the MC private data area in AppData as is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up