INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Performance with MadVR + LAV CUVID  (Read 2626 times)

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
DVD Performance with MadVR + LAV CUVID
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:52:52 pm »

I have a question regarding dvd performance for the above filters. Primary example is that i have the LOTR EE trilogy on dvd and have debated on whether to spend the $80 for the bluray set. Does anyone who has these movies watched them using madvr and cuvid and whether the results were satisfactory? I know the answer may be subjective but wanted some insight on how well dvd performs with RO HQ. Other than the dts audio being the slightly weak link, how does the video turn out?

Some thoughts would be appreciated.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVD Performance with MadVR + LAV CUVID
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »

madVR doesn't support DVD's so you would need to rip to mkv first to reap any benefit from madVR on your dvd's.

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 01:38:32 am »

madVR doesn't support DVD's so you would need to rip to mkv first to reap any benefit from madVR on your dvd's.

I apologize...I haven't phrased the question correctly. I already know that the DVD has to be converted to MKV first before using MadVR. What I meant to say was from an MPEG2 source (DVD) how well is the PQ from an MPEG2 source? I will check it out for myself because if the PQ comes out pretty good with MadVR, then I can save the $80 in buying the LOTR BD set.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 02:43:33 am »

I have both, with LOTR-EE one of few I bothered keeping on DVD as it took soooooo long for the Blu to come out.  Like all good transfers, it is much much better for both the Video and Audio.  Assuming of course you have the AV equipment and personal acuity to discern the much higher (video and audio) resolution.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:01:17 am »

FYI - here is a great read I always link to on if you can see the difference of 1080p in general - http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

So there is little point using HD media if you sit 5m back from a small TV.

For me I have no issues appreciating 1080p on my 60" Plasma at a viewing distance of 2m over SD.  I must say however that the big boost with Blu is also the Audio Quality as instead of 5.1 channels sharing only 640kbps (a lower bitrate per channel than most 2ch MP3!), you have lossless sound that decodes at almost 5mbps...such an audio track alone can take up more disc space than a whole DVD!
JRiver CEO Elect

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:10:57 am »

FYI - here is a great read I always link to on if you can see the difference of 1080p in general - http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

So there is little point using HD media if you sit 5m back from a small TV.

For me I have no issues appreciating 1080p on my 60" Plasma at a viewing distance of 2m over SD.  I must say however that the big boost with Blu is also the Audio Quality as instead of 5.1 channels sharing only 640kbps (a lower bitrate per channel than most 2ch MP3!), you have lossless sound that decodes at almost 5mbps...such an audio track alone can take up more disc space than a whole DVD!

Well, I have a 40" LCD screen that works very well with 1080p material (and I took the time to self-calibrate the TV within my skill). The only weak link with the DVD boxset of LOTR is the DTS since it is of course the lossy format. It would be awesome to hear the battle and fight scenes in DTS-MA! And the music played throughout is breathtaking (even on DVD). The last 'small TV' I had was a 20" Panasonic I bought in the late 90's which my mom has and still works very well.

I think I still may take the plunge and get the BD set, and give the DVD set I currently have to my dad since he loves those movies too (but he doesn't have any HD gear). Plus it will be nice that the DVD EE I spent $80 several years ago won't go to waste. I figured that any movie made 2000-up and depending on how well the transfer was done would be worth buying on Bluray. Anything older I will stick with just DVD.

From some of the reviews I read on the BD set there was mention of green tint issues on the FOTR...have you noticed this at all? I have a pretty good eye for detail though I may not catch everything at one time.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:47:47 am »

I've read a fair bit about the green tint issue and IMHO it is a non-issue.  You will see the difference in a side by side comparison of screen shots but that is it.  One post explained that such shifts are not noticed (unless done side by side) and I (or anyone else) in our LOTR reviewing marathon noticed it.  LOTR-EE Blu is a must have (I also will be donating my DVD version to the family)....+ the audio is great!

Also pride man....40"  that is the size of a small stamp!  You know bigger is better!
JRiver CEO Elect

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:28:39 pm »

I've read a fair bit about the green tint issue and IMHO it is a non-issue.  You will see the difference in a side by side comparison of screen shots but that is it.  One post explained that such shifts are not noticed (unless done side by side) and I (or anyone else) in our LOTR reviewing marathon noticed it.  LOTR-EE Blu is a must have (I also will be donating my DVD version to the family)....+ the audio is great!

Also pride man....40"  that is the size of a small stamp!  You know bigger is better!

Once you have watched material on a larger screen, anything smaller than that obviously is a small stamp lol. I would like to upgrade to perhaps a 55" at some point in time but of course bigger screen sizes cost bigger $$$. Until then I am content with my 40" which is doing an excellent job :).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 03:00:02 pm »

I know...I've started to think the 60" is looking small (funny how the shrink over time).
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up