INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the best file names?  (Read 2090 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
What are the best file names?
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:20:37 pm »

What are the pros and cons with different file names?
I use artistname on the folders and then a new folder inside that with the CD name.
The inside that folder comes the files with the name [track #]-[name].

I wonder if this is a good way to name the folders and files or not?

I believe this is the normal way iTunes give the names to ripped CD on the harddrive.

But that dosenīt mean it is the best way.

I would like to know what the ideas are out there about this subject?

Thanks in advance
Captor
JRiver for music

rick.ca

Re: What are the best file names?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:16:30 pm »

It depends. Setting Up Your File Structure for MC might be helpful.

rjm

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:24:51 pm »

There is no right answer.  

I wanted to be able to see all my albums when browsing with Explorer so I kept the structure flat:

\\Music\[Artist] - [Album]\[Track #] - [Name]

If I was starting from scratch again I would probably add the year as follows:

\\Music\[Artist] - [Album] - [Year]\[Track #] - [Name]

For various artist albums I use:

\\Music\Various Artists - [Album]\[Track #] - [Artist] - [Name]

For album info and artwork files I use:

\\Music\[Artist] - [Album]\[Artist] - [Album] - [Name] - [Year] - [Genre]

Note: Document files with album info do not have imbedded tags, hence I expanded the file name to include everything I needed to reconstruct the tags on import in the unlikely event that I lost my library.

Captor

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 04:12:46 am »

Thanks rjm

What do you mean by the last sentence? Why would you use document files? If using tags in variuos
artist albums will that not be saved together with the media files?
Or together with album art or playlists?
For what do you use documents? Can you get in information on a document about the album in JRiver?
For example the songs and artist names?

Actually this is another of my questions here at the forum. What folder do I have to backup to another
(safe) drive? Is it OK if I save User\Captor\Appdata\Roaming\JRiver\MediaCenter16\Library backups?

Do I have everything then in case of computer theft or house burning down or whatever?

Or should I backup more? Maybe the MediaCenter 16 folder or the JRiver Folder?
Is there something more I should backup (except the media file folder of course) to be home free?
JRiver for music

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 05:40:04 am »

I use...

Video directory: Movies\[Name] ([Year])
Video filename: [Name] (Year)
Series directory: Series\[Series]\[Season]
Series filename: [Series] - S[Season]E[Episode] - [Name]
Music directory: Music\[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album] ([Year])
Music filename: [Track #] - [Artist] - [Name]

It's not as complete as rjm's, but it does the trick when browsing. I don't plan on ever loosing my library anyway :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Captor

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 05:50:59 am »

Hehe, well thatīs not in my plan as well. But you never know:-)
Thanks for your input.
For filename I use [Track #] - [Name] only. And This in a folder named with the album name in a folder named with the artist name.
This is the way iTunes do and I just keept on doing the same way.
Maybe I should add the artist in the filename as well. But themn in the other hand I am asking myself why? Maybe if I want to share my music with someone over the net?
Otherwise I can not see any advantage with that. BUT that is why I started this tread. To get to know what other people are doing and why. So thanks again.
JRiver for music

rjm

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 12:44:35 pm »

What do you mean by the last sentence? Why would you use document files?

MC stores tags like [Artist], [Album], [Track #], [Name], [Year] and [Genre] inside the mp3 or flac music file. Therefore it does not matter what you name the file because when you import it MC will extract the tags from inside the file. For document files, like txt and mht, it is not possible to save tags inside the file. Therefore if you import a document file, and you do not want to have to manually re-enter all the tags, the tags must be stored somehow in the folder or file name. Then using MC's powerful feature for extracting tags from folder and file names you can re-populate the tags. In my case I frequently save text information about albums, such as reviews, with the music files.

Actually this is another of my questions here at the forum. What folder do I have to backup to another
(safe) drive? Is it OK if I save User\Captor\Appdata\Roaming\JRiver\MediaCenter16\Library backups?

Do I have everything then in case of computer theft or house burning down or whatever?

Or should I backup more? Maybe the MediaCenter 16 folder or the JRiver Folder?
Is there something more I should backup (except the media file folder of course) to be home free?

MC nows saves most of its settings inside the library backup file. So if you make a copy of the library backup (plus of course your media files) onto another drive then you will be in good shape to recover from a disaster. MC automatically makes backups once a day or so of its library (not your media files) however I choose to make manual backups on top of this into a different backup directory.  I make my manual backups at strategic times such as prior to making a major reorganization to my library, or prior to upgrading MC.

There are a few less important things not saved in the library backup, such as language file customizations and cover art. If you want to be able to recover absolutely everything then you should backup both the program files and the application data folders. Most people can safely skip this step however.
Pages: [1]   Go Up