INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I know what types of media MadVR will work for?  (Read 3383 times)

greg.smalter

• World Citizen
How do I know what types of media MadVR will work for?
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:39:39 am »

I have MadVR working for Live TV and it's great. If I play a WTV file, though, it is not using MadVR (it's not even in the list of filters you get if you right click). What types of media can MadVR apply to and what types can it not?

Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: How do I know what types of media MadVR will work for?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:50:51 pm »

madVR can be used for most media types.  If you use Red October HQ, it is the renderer loaded.  There are some exceptions (not many), Windows Media Center TV recordings (wtv/dvr-ms) are such.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:11:38 pm »

Windows Media Center TV recordings (wtv/dvr-ms) are such (exceptions).

Why is that?  I think it will render wtv files okay.  At least it did before RO was born, when DS was the only way, IIRC.  I can't get Direct Show working at all in MC16 anymore to test (I haven't tried for a few versions)

Also, why can't LAV splitter get used for wtv files with RO?  it works with wtv files fine on my system, but won't be accepted if I add it to RO w/additional filters.  When I select it, then save, then close, then re-open, it's back to Automatic?

Just curious?
pretend this is something funny

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 05:50:43 pm »

Windows TV recording is a strange beast.  Some of those files render fine while some others would not render using LAV or any filters other than Microsoft's.  We find the only sure way of rendering them is to use Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder.  madVR had trouble connecting to Microsoft decoder (Maybe that has changed?  We can certainly explore allowing madVR if it will connect with Microsoft decoder).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 06:50:09 pm »

Thanks, sounds like a solid decision.  Making it just work is the best way :)

The last time I tried using only direct show filters, it failed, but I'm about to install MC17 on my new desktop, and will do some testing to see if madVR can/will connect to all wtv files.  Madshi is back at it, so maybe if not able currently, he can 'fix' it?

Thanks again.  I'm hoping the work on TV currently can get it to a suitable replacement for WMC soon, and I won't have to worry about wtv files any more :)
pretend this is something funny
Pages: [1]   Go Up