INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Professionally calibrated display  (Read 2523 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Professionally calibrated display
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:59:50 am »

Hi,

I'm about to buy a new projector, and I'm going to get it professionally calibrated. If it's calibrated using a standard Blu-ray player (and maybe other reference source he might use) will the picture still be 100% correct when I play it through MC with Red October? Is the output from MC and exact mirror of what's on the Blu-ray disc with no alteration of color balance etc. that can mess up the calibration?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Professionally calibrated display
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:28:08 am »

I got my 60" Pio professional ISF Calibrated and he did it first from a source generator plugged directly into the screen over HDMI then then from a test disk played of my HTPC drive (and made more adjustments at the PC level to keep it in true).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:31:32 am »

FYI - I'm sure I'm now way out of spec however as:
1) It has been a few years so the TV wil have changed over that time
2) I've made so many chages to GPU's, renderers, drivers etc.....

I did recently purchased my own Colormunki but I've really not invested the time to work it all out!
JRiver CEO Elect

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:53:01 am »

I just did exactly the same (and I guess you will buy from the same company and have the same guy do the ISF calibration). My subjective opinion is that going from my old to the new projector was really great, and images are really natural and saturated. You would need to ensure 16-235 levels for the entire signal chain (no 0-255 anywhere) to get the grey scale right.

Also, when having a ISF calibration you get most of the way there (90-95%?). The rest must be adjusted for at your house to take into account wall reflections, projection screen performance and such. I would assume that inhouse "errors" would be larger than any colour discrepancy introduced in software. But that is only my assumption, and I would love MC team to enlighten us on the subject.

audunth

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:50:23 am »

Buying from AVshop and getting the calibration done before I pick it up. I could of course go with the inhouse option, but that's another $350, so I really hope I can setup my HTPC to be as neutral as possible. I asked them to tell the calibrator to call me before he calibrates the projector, so I'm hoping he has some experience with HTPCs too.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:43:52 am »

Buying from AVshop and getting the calibration done before I pick it up.

That's what I thought ;-)

I asked them to tell the calibrator to call me before he calibrates the projector, so I'm hoping he has some experience with HTPCs too.

Well, I asked him the same question, and he told me he had left htpc setups some time ago to enable other family members to watch movies and listen to music....

But it is definitely wise to talk with him before he does the calibration. At least I did not get the calibration questionaire right.

Are there any discussions here or in other forums that can shed some light on the neutrality of the video signal chain?

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:17:58 am »

Hi,

I'm about to buy a new projector, and I'm going to get it professionally calibrated. If it's calibrated using a standard Blu-ray player (and maybe other reference source he might use) will the picture still be 100% correct when I play it through MC with Red October? Is the output from MC and exact mirror of what's on the Blu-ray disc with no alteration of color balance etc. that can mess up the calibration?

Remember to set madVR correctly;) Choose your display->already calibrated->choose best alternatives... Or use yCMS... For a very quick test to ensure you didnīt take wrong ones, check this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 07:33:50 pm »

I got my 60" Pio professional ISF Calibrated and he did it first from a source generator plugged directly into the screen over HDMI then then from a test disk played of my HTPC drive (and made more adjustments at the PC level to keep it in true).

This.

A PROFESSIONAL calibration should be done with a known accurate source generator as the starting point. Then dialed in for individual components as needed.  In the case of an HTPC, the computer should be modified as needed to match the reference signal used to calibrate.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 02:14:06 am »

This.

A PROFESSIONAL calibration should be done with a known accurate source generator as the starting point. Then dialed in for individual components as needed.  In the case of an HTPC, the computer should be modified as needed to match the reference signal used to calibrate.

Makes sense, do you know any specific ways to do this?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 01:20:47 pm »

Makes sense, do you know any specific ways to do this?

Not familiar with the exact equipment that they use, but when I have had my set calibrated the initial baseline was set using the techs own reference equipment.  Then we reviewed my equipment against this baseline to validate that my equipment was working (or set up) properly.  In some cases we found specific pieces of equipment that were incapable of sending the correct color space for my set (0-255) over anything other than component. Most modern sets are usually using 16-235, but my older CRT based set's HDCP input is 0-255.

One benefit of working with the tech directly when reviewing the equipment is that now I know both what my image SHOULD look like and what it looks like when being fed a 16-235 signal instead of 0-255.  This was invaluable when setting up my HTPC since there is so much in that chain that wants to go 16-235.

The worst thing you can do is calibrate the set's 'factory settings' to a piece of equipment that is either putting out bad or wrong color information either due to incorrect setup or just sub-par processing/parts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up