INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing library  (Read 1822 times)

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
Missing library
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:35:58 am »

Running the latest MC16, installed MC17 and all was well until I noticed it only imported one of my two libraries. How can I import just the missing one?

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Missing library
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:46 am »

Restore it from a MC16 backup?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:04:38 am »

Same here.
If you have muliple libraries, 17 only duplicates the main library

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:13:24 am »

On first install the MC17 installer copies the currently active MC16 library to the MC17 Main Library (see also my reply here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67143.msg450503#msg450503).

To copy additional libraries you can create a new library backup file for each library (load the library in MC16 and create a backup file: File > Library > Back Up Library...).

In MC17, create the new empty library/libraries first and then restore the backup file/files (i.e. load the new library and restore, one library at a time).

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:25:05 am »

Same here.
If you have muliple libraries, 17 only duplicates the main library

I had the following discussion with Matt a couple of weeks ago (on the beta board):

Alex B:
On the other hand, it still imports only the currently active library from the old version to the "Main Library". It does not import the list of libraries and correctly name the automatically imported active library if it is not "Main Library". This is fine as a default option, but optionally MC could import the complete set of libraries and start using them directly without copying the library files to new locations. Probably it should automatically create fresh library backup files and issue a warning about the new library format that is not compatible with old versions.

Matt:
We had a whiteboard session on this topic, and decided making a copy that's specific to v17 and loading that copy was the safest course.

Users with a lot of libraries will have to manually configure them again, but this is safer than auto-upgrading a library on a user when they might not expect it.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:09:15 am »

Running the latest MC16, installed MC17 and all was well until I noticed it only imported one of my two libraries. How can I import just the missing one?

Just curious, but why do you have/use mulitple Librarys? Do you have one for Audio and one for Video, or such?

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:46:55 pm »

I have one entire library that I originally set up to sync with my 160gb iPod. But I have overflow, and my wife's library, and my kid's library, and I wanted to keep those separate.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 02:23:11 am »

Just one comment. You know you can create custom fields I guess. You could create a string field with user names. And creating views for each one of you. It would probably be easier to maintain than to have 3-4 different libraries. But it might be that you just don't want others to mess with your tags, and in that case separated libraries might be the only way. I really wish we could get a library server with Access Control Lists. That way you could just show given media, or give write permissions to just specific parts of the library for each user. That would have been something.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up