INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Blu-ray TV series disc with playlist which plays all episodes  (Read 2382 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe

I'm trying to improve how we handle importing a Blu-ray disc such that we assign the correct media subtype (Movie or TV Show).  I've heard that some TV series discs have a single playlist which plays all of the episodes, along with a playlist per episode on the disc.  We are probably incorrectly assigning these a "Movie" subtype.  If anyone knows of one of these, please let me know the title so I can get my hands on it.

Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Most of mine do have such playlists, eg

Sherlock: Season1, Disc1.  It has two eps on it and the following playlists of interest (each with their own M2ts file):
  - 00002.mpls = 2:56:32 (both eps)
  - 00000.mpls = 1:28:06 (eps 1) (note: single M2TS file 00000.m2ts for the eps)
  - 00001.mpls = 1:28:26 (eps 2) (note: single M2TS file 00000.m2ts for the eps)

Doctor Who: Series 6: Part 1, Disc1.  It has four eps + specials on it and the following playlists of interest (each with their own M2ts file):
  - 00004.mpls = 3:00:32 (all eps eps)
  - 00005 and 00009.mpls = 0:43:35 (eps 1) (note: single M2TS file 00004.m2ts for the eps)
  - 00006 and 00010.mpls = 0:46:06 (eps 2) (note: single M2TS file 00005.m2ts for the eps)
  - 00007 and 00011.mpls = 0:44:53 (eps 3) (note: single M2TS file 00006.m2ts for the eps)
  - 00008 and 00012.mpls = 0:45:54 (eps 4) (note: single M2TS file 00007.m2ts for the eps)

Downton Abbey: Series1, Disc1.  This is even more complicated, It has 4 Eps on it (each with their own M2TS file) and "think" is is arranged as follows
  - 00973.mpls = 1:58:01 is for EPS 1 and 2
  - 00996.mpls = 1:37:30 is for EPS 3 and 4
  - 00000 and 00999.mpls = 1:08:27 (eps 1) (note: single M2TS file 00010.m2ts for the eps)
  - 01000 and 00995.mpls = 0:49:33 (eps 2) (note: single M2TS file 00184.m2ts for the eps)

At present I just copy off the individual M2TS files and tag them up.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I wonder if we total the mpls times, then subtract the biggest, then see if the others are a close match for the biggest.  If they are, we could then assume the biggest represents the remaining.

- 00004.mpls = 3:00:32 (all eps eps)

- 00005 and 00009.mpls = 0:43:35 (eps 1) (note: single M2TS file 00004.m2ts for the eps)
- 00006 and 00010.mpls = 0:46:06 (eps 2) (note: single M2TS file 00005.m2ts for the eps)
- 00007 and 00011.mpls = 0:44:53 (eps 3) (note: single M2TS file 00006.m2ts for the eps)
  - 00008 and 00012.mpls = 0:45:54 (eps 4) (note: single M2TS file 00007.m2ts for the eps)
The last four total 3:00:28.

JohnT

I wonder if we total the mpls times, then subtract the biggest, then see if the others are a close match for the biggest.  If they are, we could then assume the biggest represents the remaining.
The last four total 3:00:28.

That's how we're doing it for dvd currently.  I can implement it that way for blu-ray and maybe Nathan can test it and report back if it works.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

No probs - There are some slight rounding issues sometimes but it should work as such an approach then excludes all the other "extras" on the disc
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

The other approach that would also work with the Downton setup would be to compare the chapter info between the Playlists as the "big" playlist is clearly and combination of the others.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator

That's how we're doing it for dvd currently.  I can implement it that way for blu-ray and maybe Nathan can test it and report back if it works.

What about extras that are on the disc? Those wouldn't be accounted for in the "all episodes" playlist, and thus your whole logic falls apart, kinda.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Aren't the extras usually less than 30 minutes?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day

Would it be possible to start tracking these discs with YADB, and "know" the correct titles for these known discs, making this calculation useful for only new discs?

The math/theory sounds right in the discussion above if there aren't any extras.  Maybe instead you could take the largest file, then see if dividing that by 3 thru 6 (likely number of episodes on one disc) returns a value similar to that number of other files.  if so, those are likely your individual episodes.

i.e. the largest file in the example above is 180 minutes.

180 divided by 3 = (3) 60 minute episodes, which does not match up to (3) remaining files; next try
180 divided by 4 = (4) 45 minute episodes, which does match up to (4) ~45 minute episodes; winner!
I suppose you could stop calculating here, but finishing the "test" would reveal 2 more failures, confirming the results for test 2.

Eventually a good record of common disc titles (in YADB?) would be very useful I think.
pretend this is something funny

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

The YADB makes sense as long as there is some Disc ID to differentiate between the various releases around the world.

I'm sure there will be exceptions to this but so far pattern seems to be that the "Big" playlist is a combination of the the EPS and excludes the extra content.  I still like the idea of actually comparing the content of the playlists (eg the chapters each contain) over just the length as it will be much more robust logic in working out what content is contained / duplicated in each.
JRiver CEO Elect

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: Looking for Blu-ray TV series disc with playlist which plays all episodes
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 04:02:19 pm »

The YADB makes sense as long as there is some Disc ID to differentiate between the various releases around the world.

I'm sure there will be exceptions to this but so far pattern seems to be that the "Big" playlist is a combination of the the EPS and excludes the extra content.  I still like the idea of actually comparing the content of the playlists (eg the chapters each contain) over just the length as it will be much more robust logic in working out what content is contained / duplicated in each.

maybe it's best to see if there are 3-6 files of very similar size, then see how the total of those compares to the largest file; with any difference compared to the remaining files??

comparing contents seems more thorough or accurate, but also seems more processor intensive?
pretend this is something funny

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 04:09:11 pm »

What about extras that are on the disc? Those wouldn't be accounted for in the "all episodes" playlist, and thus your whole logic falls apart, kinda.
Actually I grossly simplified the process with DVD's, in that case we look for long titles that exactly overlap the same disc sectors as all of the titles with TV show type durations (20 -60 minutes) and only call them a TV show disc if it works out.  I'd like to get a blu-ray disc that exhibits this issue so I could use a similar algorithm in that case.  However it's possible that 99% of the cases would be correctly covered by a simple interpretation of the the durations.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 04:12:34 pm »

Happy to test any of the ideas when you have it up and going.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up