INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book on the Run  (Read 4151 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Book on the Run
« on: May 22, 2002, 07:54:30 am »

Zevele's book came from Amazon.  If you didn't read the other thread

[ other thread is here at

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=10170&BoardIdle=7&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=0 ]
, it's a book called "Round Ireland with a Fridge".  Tony Hawks bet a friend that he could hitch hike the perimiter of Ireland in less than a month and that he could do it with a refrigerator.  He did and he wrote a book.

We're sending the book to Zevele.  Here's my draft of a letter to accompany it when I take it to the bus station and hand it to a stranger.

Can you add anything to this?  Did I forget something important about him?  Will he be famous?

Thanks.

-----
[letter to go with book]

Book on the Run

You have been entrusted with a special mission – to deliver this book to:

Yonatan BOAZ
13\13 lipsky street
Tel-aviv Israel
He may have a telephone.

It can’t be shipped.  It must only be hand carried, preferably in short segments like an Olympic torch.  Keep it safe, read it while you travel, and then hand it to someone else who looks trustworthy.  Write a message in the book if you want.

Yonatan is known on our website at www.mediajukebox.com as “zevele”.  We have no idea why.  Zevele must mean something to him.

Here is his story.  Zevele began visiting the Interact site above about a year ago.  He was at first very quiet and humble, with frequent apologies for his English.  We have managed to piece together the following facts about him as he became less shy:

He is French by birth.  
He has traveled a lot.
He says he has attended more than 1000 concerts.
As a boy, his family moved him to the attic when it was clear that he would never turn the music down.
He seems to be awake at all hours.
He may drink.
His neighbors must surely know who he is.
His work involves painting ceilings of hair salons.  Sounds suspicious.
He is passionate about everything.
This book is a lot like him.

So, if you’re willing, please help.  If not, just give the book to someone else and hope for the best.

When you hand it off, please email jimh @ jriver.com and tell me where you started, where you ended, and whether you can make any sense of this.  Was it an uplifting experience?  I’ll post your comments on our board so everybody can follow the progress of the book.

A very big “Thanks!” for helping out.

Jim Hillegass
CEO, JRiver
www.mediajukebox.com
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

JimH

Jim Hillegass

zevele 1

RE:Book on the Run
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 08:14:57 am »

looks ok to me
But i'am the one who has nothing to say,just wait

A big big big mad place Interact
But it is just a start
If it works,next time will be something bigger than a book
Up to the point to send something much better than a fridge........Inside US first,outside after

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 08:32:35 am »

Nice idea and experiment,

But maybe you'll need to write the letter in several languages if the book is going round
the world up to Zev.

Here is my contrib with the french version of your letter :

Good luck

---------------------------------

Book on the Run
Un livre qui marche !

Vous avez été choisi pour une mission de confiance - faire parvenir ce livre a:

Yonatan BOAZ
13\13 lipsky street
Tel-aviv Israel
Il se peut qu'il ait un téléphone !

Ce livre ne peut être expédié par voie postale. Il ne peut qu'être livré de la main à la main, de préférence
par étapes à la manière de la flamme olymique. Prenez en soin comme la prunelle de vos yeux, lisez le
pendant votre voyage (si vous pouvez lire l'anglais) et confiez le à un autre messager que vous jugerez digne de confiance. Rédigez un message si vous le désirez, même en français, Yonatan comprendra.

Yonatan est connu par le surnom de "Zevele" sur notre site internet www.mediajukebox.com. Nous ne connaissons
pas l'origine de ce surnom. Cela doit certainement avoir une signification pour lui.

Voici l'histoire. Zevele à commencé de fréquenter notre site web il y a environ un an. Au début il était fort calme et timide arguant de sa prétendue ignorance de la langue anglaise. Après quelques semaines et alors que sa
langue commencait à se délier et sa timidité à se faire moins évidente, nous avons pu rassembler les
éléments suivants:

Il est né français.
C'est un grand voyageur.
Amateur éclairé de musique, il s'est rendu à plus de 1000 concerts.
Enfant, il fut banni au grenier lorsque les efforts de sa famille pour lui faire baisser le volume
de sa musique furent vain.
Il est comme New-York, il ne dort jamais.
Il est possible qu'il boive un peu.
Ses voisins le reconnaitront sans problèmes.
Sa profession est de peindre les plafonds des salons de coiffure. Cela semble suspect.
C'est un passionné dans l'âme.
Ce livre lui ressemble beaucoup.

Donc, si vous êtes d'accord, aidez nous. Sinon confiez ce livre à quelqu'un d'autre et souhaitons
que tout ira bien et que le livre parvienne à son destinataire final.

Lorsque vous transmettrez ce livre, SVP envoyez un courrier électronique à jimh @ jriver.com et
racontez moi ou vous avez commencé votre relai, ou vous l'avez terminé et quel est votre sentiment
sur cette expérience. Je publierai vos commentaires sur notre forum de manière à ce que tous
puissent suivre le périple de ce livre.

Un grand "Merci" pour votre aide.

Jim Hillegass
CEO, JRiver
www.mediajukebox.com
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Badger

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 08:47:52 am »

Hemos leído sus comentarios, pero nosotros no entendemos. Traduzca por favor al inglés.....or english.

Zevele 1

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 09:27:46 am »

I was not banned to the attic as you say Cmagic!From 2 attics they did a large room with windows,water and so on
I don't care about the funny side of the letter
Just do not want to have someone telling my father'i saw Yonatan was living in the attic'

Cmagic

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 09:41:02 am »

Ooops,
sorry Zev I was just trying to translate Jim's letter.

So please Jim replace the sentence :
Enfant, il fut banni au grenier lorsque les efforts de sa famille pour lui faire baisser le volume
de sa musique furent vain.

with :
Enfant, ses parents lui aménagèrent un appartement lorsqu'ils réalisèrent qu'ils ne parviendraient à
lui faire baisser le volume de sa musique.

better ?

sorry again Zev Next Page
Bob Marley (War)

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002, 09:50:49 am »

Cmagic
ca baigne,fine
It is only that english 'moved'sounds smother than french bannir
L installerent au grenier  sounds funny and soft

Saw you picture and text on another part of MJ page.I can understand you to be really anti le pen
Mais le jour ou les cons auront des ailes,ils s'entretueront pour etre chef d'escadrille..........

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2002, 10:17:05 am »

Jim Hillegass

hehe, your one wild and crazy guy - Steve Martin

Listening to: 'Magic Trumpet' from 'Greatest Hits' by 'Bert Kaempfert & His Orchestra' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Cmagic

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2002, 12:38:47 pm »

That's why he is The Godfather !

Listening to: 'Ballade De Jim' from 'Collection' by 'Alain Souchon' on Media Jukebox
Next Page
Bob Marley (War)

mphorton

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2002, 12:51:34 pm »

[insert something witty, intelligent and original here, please, 'cause it'd go better with the action/thread than anything I could add]

I love this place.

Michael

JimH

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2002, 04:13:01 pm »

There is a groundswell of opinion here that the book will end up in the trash. I was offered a bet today at good odds that ordinarily I would take, but in the interest of believing in the goodness of man/woman, I swiftly refused.  Was it wrong?
Jim Hillegass

mphorton

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2002, 04:39:45 pm »

It won't end up in the trash. Someone may sell it at a yard sale.  I'll bet he gets it though. There's a need for this sort of thing right now.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2002, 04:50:56 am »

Jim if you sign it, it will be on E-Bay
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2002, 10:47:18 am »

I will not bet.
Would like to get the book.Not for the book but for the spirit of all this freak out stuff

If i get it,i may use it to do a kind of collage\painting who will be on the wall i have in from of me when at the computer,or in the sofa
It is not that i'am good at it,but i have a friend who do very good collage\painting
I love his work and will just 'stole' the general feeling of what he does

Now if you want to take a Warhol attitude,this book has to be trash,forget on a seat,sell in a second hand shop,read,re-sell and found itself in a shop thousands kilometers from States
The book will have a life of fame,not us
Once i got books on Ebay for my friend.One of them had a sticker with a name and adress on it
From Californie and i got the books from north / center of the country
I sent a postcard to the adress,telling the women that someone in Tel-Aviv was reading his
book

Swordsman74

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2002, 11:31:42 am »

I have a guess about "Zevele" - possibly "eleveN" backwards with the "N" on its side?
Even if I'm right, I still wouldn't have a guess on the significance...  

- Matt L.

zevele1

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2002, 12:14:25 pm »

ok
as many times with me a twisted no sense

I have 'an alternative email',i used it when downloading MJ 7 and registered to Music01
I use Zevele in many places where you need a user name.

I like the first name Zeev.If you want the sound in english like z-hey-ev.So i toke zev
But i like punk and the stupid names of bands members  so i did zev_ele .If you say to an Israeli "i know someone ,is name is zevele" it is like me telling you 'i know someone,his name is..trash".If you saw most of my posts,they deserve this user name.......

After a while the _was to much to type,so zevele. o=operamail 1=netscapemail  10=interact 100 was Music 01

Here you get a slice of History

zevele1

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2002, 12:29:38 pm »

ok
as many times with me a twisted no sense

I have 'an alternative email',i used it when downloading MJ 7 and registered to Music01
I use Zevele in many places where you need a user name.

I like the first name Zeev.If you want the sound in english like z-hey-ev.So i toke zev
But i like punk and the stupid names of bands members  so i did zev_ele .If you say to an Israeli "i know someone ,is name is zevele" it is like me telling you 'i know someone,his name is..trash".If you saw most of my posts,they deserve this user name.......

After a while the _was to much to type,so zevele.zevele=operamail 1=netscapemail  10=interact 100 was Music 01

Here you get a slice of History

sekim

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2002, 04:04:56 pm »

I wish we could have signed this book with a short note to zevele before send off. A little bit from friends.

JimH

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2002, 04:09:44 pm »

Send something.  I'll put it in the book.

Or stop by and sign it.  It won't go off until Monday or Tuesday.
Jim Hillegass

sekim

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2002, 04:32:08 pm »

Care to meet somewhere neutral?

JimH

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2002, 04:36:04 pm »

Name the bar and the time tomorrow.
Jim Hillegass

sekim

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2002, 04:59:39 pm »

Typically I head west , but if this is unsuitable I'm flexible. Plymouth out of the question?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2002, 05:16:02 pm »

I feel left out since I don't read, Are there pictures?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2002, 05:34:32 pm »

I live west of Mpls, near Lake Minnetonka.  Anywhere on 394 or 55 or anywhere in between after after about 4:30?

Some pictures to go with words:

http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/woodland/photos.htm
Jim Hillegass

sekim

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2002, 05:53:02 pm »

Jim,

Know of a couple of places on 55. Been a while since I've been on 12. That, however would be fine. Both lead towards home. Name a place on 394 and I'll be there.

Green Mill on 55 might be a little north for you. As you know, I'm going north past 394 so it wouldn't make much difference to me if I went the other way. Trying to think here, is Larry's or The Red Rooster somewhere to far west? Closer to Ridgedale better?

JimH

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2002, 06:28:08 pm »

Cheez.  The Red Rooster in Long Lake.  I'll meet you there at 4:30 unless you name a time a little later.  I'll meet you outside.  I've got a green station wagon.  I'll bring The Book.
Jim Hillegass

sekim

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2002, 06:36:55 pm »

Sounds good Jim. White Intrigue. I'll be the guy wearing a tan cap with CM Construction plastered on the dome. See you then.

Mike

JimH

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2002, 04:46:56 pm »

I met Mike Strickland of New London, Minnesota tonight at the Red Rooster in Long Lake.  Many of you know Mike as MachineHead.  I know him to be a very clear-headed thinker from Interact.  In person, he is the same.

I arrived a few minutes late because the traffic headed west was bad tonight.  I went inside, looked at everyone, didn't get any looks returned and went back out.  I waited on the corner outside the Red Rooster for about 25 minutes, reading "Round Ireland with a Fridge", in the late afternoon light, with traffic moving slowly by, a blue Harley parked out front.  Finally, I went around to the other side of the building where, when my memories were formed of the RR, there had been a building.

Now there is a parking lot.  Mike could have parked there....Uh-oh, I thought.  Sure enough, there he was inside, looking expectantly out the plate glass window, beige cap and all.  Reliable guy, I thought.

I missed buying Mike a beer because he had been there long enough he had bought his own.  Next life, maybe I will.

Mike is building the world-wide headquarters of Best Buy, a sacred place, in my book.  He is now putting the rock on the stairwells, hanging off scaffolding.  I respect guys who can do this.  I've tried.  I'm no good at it.

It was a pleasure to see Mike write a greeting to Zev inside the book. I wish I had a picture of it.
Jim Hillegass

sekim

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2002, 05:34:07 pm »

Jim,

Your words are more than kind. Thank you. It isn't everyday a guy gets to meet a Godfather. Next Page

I posed the question you asked me to my wife, about why there aren't as many women on Interact as men. Her response - 'Get off the computer so I can use it'. May have a valid point there. Now I may have to get another one so there is no power struggle for the keyboard time.

Thanks again Jim, for taking time out to meet with me. I enjoyed it very much.

Mike

JimH

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2002, 06:47:18 pm »

Mike,
Here's the link I said I would send:

http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/paris_2002/index.htm

Jim
Jim Hillegass

sekim

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2002, 07:08:58 pm »

Thanks. Added to my favorites so I won't have to search.

Forgot to add...

Listening to: 'To The Bone' from 'Urban Groove II' by 'Down To The Bone' on Media Jukebox

An excellent album. Worth the detour to Circuit City for this one. Called my friend up and gave him the envy shot. Now he's drooling to get a chance to listen to it. I love it when I beat him at his own game. Next Page

zevele1

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2002, 02:15:52 am »

MH
How you do it?
You 'glue' the stones on the concrete-well you know what i mean-
Or you clip them on a frame?
I understand that they are not full stones,just 'slices'
I am right? If not tell me
You may be surprise but it is of interest to me.Even if not part of what i am doing

sekim

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2002, 02:56:38 am »

zevele10,

What Jim referred to as, 'rock', is a nickname for gypsum sheets. Sheetrock is a brand name, but is typically used througout the industry as the common name. More correctly put, it should be gypsum sheathing. Do they use this over there?

zevele1

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2002, 03:09:54 am »

Kind of pieces rectangular.One side flat ,the other side with relief.And you clip them on a metal frame?And the building looks like built with real stones?

I have much to say about you caring to write few words on the book
But it will be latter,going to the beach now

sekim

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2002, 03:18:57 am »

This link may explain a little better.

http://www.usg.com/Product_Index/1_2_1_sheetrock.asp

Nope, what I do is steel stud framing. We use screws. Residential, with its wood framing, is sometimes nailed.

Oogi

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2002, 03:42:27 am »

Jim,
Excelent photos

Especially DSC00462, DSC00685, DSC00687.

DSC00462 is my new background at my office.
Thanks

Uri

zevele1

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2002, 05:25:37 am »

MH
rock...scaffolding... stairs....Let me tell you the picture of you i had

Working on a hudge external stair leading to the main entrance.You know kind of stuff big corporates like
And putting or stones or the stuff i spoke about on concrete .Kind of MISTER SKIN.....

Of cause i know the other stuff,and i use it.Here we use only metal frame.But building standarts are very low here

I use also ,in the same material,let say kind of very big bricks.They have holes inside.Like it it is very easy to wire the wall with electricity.Very easy to use-like to built a wall-
And the final work is much easy that with this f.. plates,with all the holes from the screws,the tape and unllimited number of total plastering
By big i mean more or less like a rectangle 4 cds x3cds
To this day they are the best phonic isolant i know

I understand you have 3 days of..so enjoy!

sekim

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2002, 06:01:05 am »

Yes, a long weekend. Already went out and washed the car this morning. For a change, the weather is just great. No wind compared to the past week or so. I have some other things on the to-do list, but they are small jobs and should have a lot of free time to do whatever. Next Page

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2002, 05:41:59 pm »

The picture I got was some sort of Best Buy Michelangelo ... Hanging from scaffolding doing large-scale mosaic.
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up