INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to buy Creative Xi-Fi Titanium HD - need advice  (Read 2742 times)

doubrown

• Junior Woodchuck
Looking to buy Creative Xi-Fi Titanium HD - need advice
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »

Hi. I'm thinking of upgrading my current setup, which is a Creative Xi-Fi Fat1lty with Altec-Lansing ADA995 speakers. I've been looking at the Xi-Fi Titanium HD and have some questions:

1) The Xi-Fi HD only has analog outputs for stereo. For 5.1 out, I'd have to use optical out. Does it back sense to invest in a high end card if I have to use optical out? My understanding of DACs and optical outputs is somewhat limited. If I use the optical out, doesn't that bypass the sound card's DACs and use the DACs in the amplifier/receiver? If that is not the case, how does it work?

2) What speakers should I pair to this card if I want 5.1? I've been looking at Logitech Z-906, but the reviews seems mixed.

3) If I go with non-powered speakers and choose to use a discreete amplifier, what should I use in the $200 range? Is it possible to get amplifiers that fit in the PC case?

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Looking to buy Creative Xi-Fi Titanium HD - need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:19:53 am »

Ok, here it goes, if someone with more knowledge sees I'm wrong please feel free to point it:

1) Digital Out (Optical, Coaxial, HDMI) sends the audio in digital form, meaning your reciever's/speaker's DAC would decode it, so it's not much difference between cards using digital out.
2) Via HDMI you can send uncompressed PCM up to 7.1 (depends of the revision?) or you can bitstream (send lossy Dolby and DTS, or lossless DTS-MA or TrueHD if your reciever supports it)
3) If you are using optical or coaxial, you can send uncompressed PCM up to 2 channels, and bitstream lossy formats only (Dolby and DTS)
4) Analog output means your using soundcard's DAC, in this case the quality of the card matters

So

* The Xi-Fi HD only has analog outputs for stereo, so there is no way to have lossless 5.1 or 7.1.  You can use your reciever's/speaker's "effects" to expand 2 channels uncompressed audio to the other speakers, but in my opinion is not as good as JRiver DSP options.  And you won't be able to use Reclock or Video Clock without losing quality.

*  I recommend you a proper reciever/amp and quality speakers.  Most of recent video cards already have HDMI and supports audio, so you dont need to invest in an expensive card if you are going trough HDMI + reciever route

*   If you have a limited budged the Z-906 could be a start, but as an owner of a z-5500 I dont recommend you to go this route (from reviews I have read the z-906 are a z-5500 with different pod and an extra optical input).  The sub is great. but this speakers have a hardware crossover at 125hz wich you can't change or remove and the satellites are weak on mid frequencys.  Is this bad? well for most users here yes, sounds boomy and loud, but definetly are enough and more for most people, the only way to be sure is to go to the store and try them yourself before buy.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish
Pages: [1]   Go Up