INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Integrate Commands from Receiver into Gizmo?  (Read 2341 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Integrate Commands from Receiver into Gizmo?
« on: October 29, 2011, 05:16:15 pm »

I have a Yami A3000 which is DLNA enabled, and has both a Web Front end + an Android App that lets you control zones, inputs, vol etc.

Is there any thought of allowing Gizmo to "learn" or integrate these functions so we could just use one IF to control both MC and the Receiver?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: Integrate Commands from Receiver into Gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:05:40 pm »

...so we could just use one IF to control...?

I'd like to bump this request for control of AVR/other devices/control systems.  My Yamaha RX-V867 is networked, and one day i'd like to have basic control of it with Gizmo.
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »

DLNA devices are already controllable by Gizmo.

Your DLNA device needs to support the standard control interface for it to work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:46:16 pm »

I'd like to bump this request for control of AVR/other devices/control systems.  My Yamaha RX-V867 is networked, and one day i'd like to have basic control of it with Gizmo.
It appears to support DLNA.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v867/

Try turning on Media Network and see if it shows up in Playing Now or MC shows up on the device.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 04:13:35 pm »

Matt, Jim, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction (I was making life hard by not sending music to the receiver directly but via the HTPC then to the recever over MC's Zone 2 sound card).   Anyway.....I have 2 zones hooked up on my A3000, a "Main" (5.1) and an "Zone 2 = Outside" (2.0) with my HTPC as one input and the receiver itself on the network (to which Gizmo/MC or Yami DLNA Controller can IF with).  It all works pretty well but there are some issues as follows caused by the Zones:

Setup:  After having a bit of a play, here is some hints on what I found specifically with the Yamaha A3000
To be able to "see" the A3000 in Gizmo / MC DLNA Controller you have to first ensure the A3000 is ON or the "Network Standby" is ON, however playback from Gizmo / MC DLNA Controller will fail unless you manually (or through the Yami DLNA app or Web IF)
1) Power up the zone(s) you want to playback on the Receiver (if not already on)
2) Select "PC" as the input (or Network) on the zone(s) 

Issues:  In looking at what worked using Gizmo/MC DLNA Controller vs the Yami DLNA Controller (or Yami Web Page), here a a few thing
- Vol Up/Down only works to control the vol on the A3000 Zone 1.  Eg it does nothing if playing music to the A3000's Zone 2 (I guess it is part of the following)
- Gizmo/MC DLNA Controller is "blind" to the zones on the A3000.  When playing music to the A3000 it will output sound from all zones that are ON and have PC as the source.  Vol up and down will control the main zone vol but the other zone does not change
- Gizmo/MC DLNA Controller is unable to select the "source" (for any zone)
- Gizmo/MC DLNA Controller is unable to power on/off any of the zones

So for me the "big" issue is the lack of Vol control when using the A3000-Zone 2.  The rest I can preconfigure, setup once at the start (eg power on, select the source etc) but not being able to change the Vol from Gizmo is not so good.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 04:35:57 pm »

OK - A bit more testing.  The Yami has a "Party Mode" where the one source being received on "Main" is put to all zones and the Yami Web App vol control can control vol for all zones together (or you can go in and adjust each zone individually).  Even when in Party Mode, Gizmo / MC DLAN vol control is only adjusting Zone 1.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »

Did you try the hardware volume buttons on the Android?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 05:24:55 pm »

It appears to support DLNA.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v867/

Try turning on Media Network and see if it shows up in Playing Now or MC shows up on the device.

Yeah, it's DLNA compatible/enabled/whatever.  However, I have to set it into a DLNA mode, and that turns off the monitor, so I can't see what I'm doing in MC, so useless to me that way :(

I haven't tried this for a while, so will test again tonight or tomorrow, but the last time I tried, I could use Gizmo to 'control' it once i got something to play, but until I spend several hours making useful views for Gizmo, I can't easily select what I want to send to it from within Gizmo, so I'm kinda 'stuck'

With all that said, I actually meant that I'd like Gizmo to control the receivers non-DLNA functionality.  I want to select the "Patio" zone with Gizmo, then send a playlist, and have Gizmo turn on my receiver for me, but only zone 2, to a preset volume, and select the proper input for that zone, and not have to touch the receiver for any of this.

I believe this is possible with that receiver, but I've not looked into it very much yet.

I just looked again, and it seems they have recently added an android app that does most of what I'm asking for, but I'd love to see it all integrated into Gizmo someday.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.yamaha.av.avcontroller

Maybe this is my winter project, now that I finally have my new unRAID mostly setup :)
pretend this is something funny

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:31:55 pm »

Did you try the hardware volume buttons on the Android?

Both the HW buttons on the Andriod Tab on the Vol Slider in the MC client will only change the Vol of the Main Zone on the Yami, not Zone 2.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:41:44 pm »

FYI - these pics may help visualise it a bit better.  To get it to work you have to first turn on the Zone you want and select the input as PC (see Items 1 and 2).  Gizmo etc can then play to the A3000 which will output the audio to any zone On and set to PC, but Vol control only works with the Main Zone (see green boxs vs red boxs)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:10:28 pm »

And for completeness, here is a screen shot from the Yami DLNA app where you can for each Zone:
- Select a Source (input)
- Power up/down
- control Vol
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up