INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Simultaneous" ripping and encoding  (Read 1311 times)

Mr.X

"Simultaneous" ripping and encoding
« on: May 22, 2002, 06:49:20 am »

When using an external encoder and selecting "rip and encode simultaneously" in the encoding options, it does not actually do these things "simultaneously". It rips one track, then encodes it, then rips the next, encodes it, etc. This will take as long as the other method that happens when "rip and encode simultaneously" in unchecked, where is rips all the tracks then encodes them all.

In the past, MJ used to encode in the background while it continued to rip files (without waiting for the encoding to complete) which resulted in a quicker operation overall.

How do I get MJ to do that again?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 07:15:34 am »

What encoder are you using?  All of the major ones support true on-the-fly encoding, which is much faster than MJ 7.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mr.X

RE: Rip and Encode
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 07:39:11 am »

It's Gogo, (the world's fastest encoder). Since MJ seems to just pass parameters and open a DOS window to run the command line for Gogo, why does it wait until that box closes before starting the next rip?

JohnT

RE:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 08:41:08 am »

The simultaneous rip/encode only works with the internal encoders. This changed when we went to "on-the-fly" encoding. Maybe we can provide an internal version of the gogo encoder if people are really interested in speed over quality.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Mr.X

Re: Rip and Encode
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2002, 08:06:02 am »

When did that change? I have a distinct memory of the commandline gogo not causing the ripping to pause. Could you shed some light on why MJ has to wait?

The latest Gogo (3.10) uses Lame 3.88, which I think can produce acceptable quality files.

-Andy.

JohnT

RE:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2002, 11:07:51 am »

The way we do simultaneous rip/encode changed with version 8. We started using "on-the-fly" encoding which occurs at the same time as the ripping, which we didn't do before.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Mr.X

Ripping and Encoding
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2002, 06:20:00 am »

Could I place my vote then to allow ALSO the previous "pseudo-simultaneous" ripping and encoding method where the encoding would take place in the background while ripping continues? It cuts a lot of time off a CD ripping, and as you know, I'm all about speed!

Mr.X

Re: Ripping and Encoding
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2002, 11:32:56 am »

So....

Where are we at with this? Can MJ 8 be updated to allow what I'm asking and/or a new Gogo Plugin be created? The Gogo source code is freely available, as you are probably aware.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2002, 11:44:01 am »

No more changes will be made for version 8.  Please add it to the wish list.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up