INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spotify in JRiver  (Read 19484 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Spotify in JRiver
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:23:17 am »

Some of us really want Spotify integration in MC. There are request threads in MC16 forum, and I would like to continue this in MC17. Since the old MC16 threads do not get much attention anymore, I found it appropriate to make this new thread.

Matt has contacted Spotify but did not get an answer, and recommended that we as JRiver users post our interest in the Spotify user forum.

If you want to show interest, please visit and type a few well chosen words here:
http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/spotify_integration_in_jriver_media_center

Remember to use the emoticons to keep the mood up :D

MrHaugen

Re: Spotify in JRiver
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 04:14:52 am »

I've also contacted Spotify, but have yet to receive any replay. Added my vote to the Spotify forum.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

)p(

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:56:36 am »

What would people expect from Spotify as a reaction on that thread? That they allow jriver to write an official plugin?
Because I think a non commercial third party plugin should already be possible. There are several done like that without the explicit okay from Spotify. For example I use the third party plugin for squeezecenter everyday.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 05:01:55 am »

Yes. I'm thinking more of an official approval for JRiver to make a plugin. Other users might be in their right to create one now, but I'm not sure.

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:19:18 am »

Because I think a non commercial third party plugin should already be possible. There are several done like that without the explicit okay from Spotify. For example I use the third party plugin for squeezecenter everyday.

I don't think JRiver has an SDK for developing Theatre View plugins, which is arguably where Spotify integration would be its most useful.

In any case, I really hope for an official implementation from JRiver, as they can integrate much more deeply and provide a better interface than any plug-in.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 05:47:38 am »

I don't think JRiver has an SDK for developing Theatre View plugins, which is arguably where Spotify integration would be its most useful.

In any case, I really hope for an official implementation from JRiver, as they can integrate much more deeply and provide a better interface than any plug-in.

An SDK for plugins in Theaterview would be good. Before my Win7 HTPC, I dabbled with Plex on a Mac. This was built around plugins so any Tom, Dick or Harry could add functionality to their 'Theaterview'. It did mean a plethora of plugins though, some useful and not so useful.

It did make integration of WebTV particularly good though for things like BBC iPlayer making Remote control of the interface easy from the couch. Plugins were updated rapidly if they broke because of a protocol change (seemingly), but it did depend on the user community to do.

I've lost track of Plex over the last year or so, so I'm not sure if this is the case anymore.

SBR 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:26:49 am »

The existing Spotify SDK is probably sufficient, but JRiver needs permission since we're commercial software.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »

Folks,

Spotify have changed my forum request to an Idea poll, and would like us to push the Like button to measure the scale of the request.

http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/spotify_integration_in_jriver_media_center

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 03:37:12 pm »

The like Button is pushed ;D

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 04:48:05 pm »

The like Button is pushed ;D

Ditto...

Osho

outofspace7

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Im using Opera 10 browser! www.opera.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 01:44:54 am »

Button also preset. JRiver + Spotify would be atomic great!   ;D
outofspace

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 02:18:05 am »

I think MrHaugen has a good point in the Spotify thread - it is mostly very dedicated JRiver users that uses Interact, which means a limited number of users will be aware this. Is there any way we can mobilise all the other users? I suppose there are some...

makersjam

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 12:05:30 pm »

I put my vote in for it. Would love to see that.

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:26:26 pm »

I posted the GetSatsifaction link to AVSForum's HTPC area as well.  If anyone hangs out on other relevant forums, I'd suggest spreading this link far and wide.

MrHaugen

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 03:50:43 am »

Good. Spreading the word would certainly help.

There have been another response from Spotify:

Jonathan Atkins 11 hours ago
If I'm understanding this issue correctly, the problem is that since JRiver is commercial product, they need a special license from Spotify to create the integration. Correct?
JRiver MC allows for 3rd party plugins. If someone were to develop a free plugin for MC that accomplished the Spotify integration, would that be ok according the Spotify SDK terms and conditions?

Sérgio Gomes 11 hours ago
Yes, but JRiver would have to provide further SDKs to enable full integration. In its current state, a truly rich, deep integration would only be possible if the feature were developed by JRiver themselves.

Do JRiver have some numbers you could share in this getsatisfaction.com thread? I'm thinking of an estimate of potential users, how many total audio centric users MC have and so on. If we had a solid number to give them, even if it's a round estimate, they might they might look more favorably upon this idea. I think the best angle here to try to get their approval of using Spotify in MC17. Their SDK is quite good I think, and JRiver might be able to implement this without to THAT much of an effort. At least if you focus on for example Theater View first. It's an idea at least.

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 04:58:17 am »

Good. Spreading the word would certainly help.

There have been another response from Spotify

To be fair, I don't think either of those is from Spotify. "Sérgio Gomes" is me :)

Your idea is good, though. If JRiver can provide some numbers, it might drive things forward faster.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 05:05:29 am »

I have spread the word to the Norwegian avforum.no also. Quite a number of forum users, but I am more uncertain about the interest in MC there.

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 05:16:17 am »

To be fair, I don't think either of those is from Spotify. "Sérgio Gomes" is me :)

You impostor! :)

outofspace7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »

Maybe we should make a beta integration and in this process trying to get approval from Spotify...
outofspace

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 09:24:01 am »

Please don't forget this subject....

Any news ??

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 09:33:04 am »

Spotify still hasn't written back.  I'm matt at jriver dot com.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »

Wild speculation, but this would be great news if true:  http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/11/whats-next-for-spotify/

Sheugel

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 03:03:09 pm »

That sounds promising!

BenBongo

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 01:48:47 pm »

Here's what Spotify announced today: http://www.spotify.com/us/blog/archives/2011/11/30/say-hello-to-spotify-apps/

Also from TechCrunch: http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/30/live-blog-the-spotify-special-event/
Q: Are sites/apps going to be able to integrate Spotify functionality on their own sites, or will it be available exclusively through the app?
A: It will be through the app. “We think this is the most beautiful experience”.

Not sure if Spotify + JRiver is a possibility anymore.

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 05:33:27 am »

Here's what Spotify announced today: http://www.spotify.com/us/blog/archives/2011/11/30/say-hello-to-spotify-apps/

Also from TechCrunch: http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/30/live-blog-the-spotify-special-event/
Q: Are sites/apps going to be able to integrate Spotify functionality on their own sites, or will it be available exclusively through the app?
A: It will be through the app. “We think this is the most beautiful experience”.

Not sure if Spotify + JRiver is a possibility anymore.

I don't think libspotify is going anywhere soon; this is just something new they're making available. It might take their focus off of adding Spotify support to other applications, though, which is what worries me.

Essentially, for this to happen, we need one of two things:
- Spotify to agree giving JRiver permission to use libspotify in their (commercial) application.
- Someone writing a free plugin to add this support to MC. This may require more SDKs from JRiver, though, namely for Theater View.

outofspace7

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 01:48:50 pm »

Hope so it's gonna be ok. Im now addicted to Spotify  ;D
outofspace

djStu

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 01:27:01 pm »

Any recent developments or news about using Spotify within JRiver? That would truly be the very best of both worlds. Thanks much.

skanderbe

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 09:47:45 am »

I am very interested by using this feature in the future since I don't think Spotify PC program allows the use of WASAPI or ASIO (however this needs confirmation because I am a newbie in hi-fi PC vocabulary)
Pages: [1]   Go Up