INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subtitle over media network  (Read 13327 times)

Shay_mt

• Recent member
Subtitle over media network
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:55:31 am »

Hi
Using media center 17 and 16, trying to streaming subtitle with no luck
I checked in other post and found that this required to turn on DLNAExtra and the present subtitle resources option but with no success

I use LG LX6500 TV also Media Center of the windows 7 OS same issue on both devices
My TV came with Nero Homemedia program which i can stream the subtitle with no problem
can someone direct me to the right configuration?

One more thing, I turned on the present small artwork hoping to have the small cover pic of the movie (I placed in the same directory and with the same name) but with no success
I believe it is relevant to the first issue

Thanks in advance

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Subtitle over media network
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:15:26 pm »

DLNA subtitling is extremely rendering device dependent.

There are 2 scenarios, transcoding and not transcoding.

If your renderer supports separate subtitle files try this:
Start with no transcoding (video conversion off).
DLNAExtra should be set.
Turning on both "present subtitle resources" and "present caption resources" is good too. Some renderers do not like this. If you renderer accepts this without crashing it's ok to leave them both on.
You need to have either a .srt or .sub or both in the same folder as the video file with exactly the same name, only different in the extension.
At this point, several renderers will now let you select subs. If your renderer won't, it probably doesn't support separate subtitle files.

The option then is transcoding. To see the subs, they need to be inserted into the video file during transcoding. Most renderers (i.e. PS3) can only display subs via DLNA with this option.
Right now, the subs will only be inserted if you have MPEG2 NTSC conversion set. The subs selected then depend on the subtitle settings in MC. This area is undergoing intense development right now and will be enhanced in the coming weeks.

As far as artwork is concerned, it will be presented as it exists from the databases point of view. If you see the artwork in MC it will be presented to the device over DLNA. The setting "present small artwork" resizes the artwork image to 120x120 which is the size all devices that support artwork are supposed to accept (others accept a wide range of sizes, some accept no artwork).

Shay_mt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:06:20 am »

Hi Bob
Thanks for the quick response,

First, when i turning on both "present subtitle resources" and "present caption resources" my TV is crashing like you mentioned

My TV supports an external file subtitles and it is work OK when i using the Nero MediaHome 4 Essentials CD which is came with the TV

Question
Where do i find the option "MPEG2 NTSC" ?
I tried to look in the advance option and i found MPEG2 Medium bandwidth, MPEG2 High, MPEG2 low, MPEG2 Pal....  and they are not solving my issue
That the conversion will not affect picture quality?

One more thing,  when i click on the "Get Movie Info" i get a list of search engine, Is there a way to add my own search engine to the list??

Thanks in advance

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:39 am »

You are using a current MC version 17?

You could try turning off present captioning resources and present subtitle resources one at a time to see if either prevents the crashing.
If DLNAExtra is set, the subtitle resources will be presented if the LG requests it whether or not the present flags are set. Your set is most likely to use the subtitle resources, not the captioning resources.

The MPEG2/DVD preset for transcoding is the one you want. It's NTSC unless you choose the MPEG2/DVD PAL preset.
Try "never convert" to get the subs sent as a resource and always convert to see if they get burned in.

Shay_mt

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 08:53:48 am »

Hi Bob
Well... so far no luck I tried every option

On some of the convert option i get the error message "illegal file" on my TV
I am also did not get it work on my Android with MP4 convertion option

When I play the movie on local MC client i do have subtitle working fine so I tried something else,

I installed MC 17.0.38 on 2 computers and turned on theDLNA Rendere and  DLNA Controller, also I turned on  both "present subtitle resources" and "present caption resources" and of course I defined  DLNAExtra.
I played the movie to each other did not have the subtitle in the none of them

I found the software Mezzmo which is play fine the subtitle
I really dont understand in this but you can try to check this software and see what kind of convert the use and then add it to the DLNA server list as LG TV
If you need to test it i will happy to do so

I have 3 days left for the MC trial version
I really like to buy this software becouse it have almost everything but I need the subtitle work for me

Thanks  in advance

Shay

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:00:00 am »

I am in the same situation with my Sony BDV880. Would like to buy MEdia Center software, but this feature is really important from my point of view.

Please let us know if anything changes in this regards.

Shay_mt

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 05:23:54 am »

I am in the same situation with my Sony BDV880. Would like to buy MEdia Center software, but this feature is really important from my point of view.

Please let us know if anything changes in this regards.

Hi dlxneamtu

No solution yet

If you looking for DLNA sofware try the "Mezzmo" its working fine but it not compared to MC capabilities

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »

Hi,

I managed at some point to make it work, I believe by installing DirectVobSub. But now I upgraded to version 17 and reinstalled windows on my PC and I cannot run the subtitles anymore. Can anyone help here? My player is Sony BDV800. Did anyone make this work?

Thanks,
Dan

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 03:09:08 pm »

managed to do it again - uninstall all codecs, reboot and install CCCP.

shirmlk

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 06:07:54 am »

Having the same issue  :(

dlxneamtu, what is CCCP ??

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 06:17:29 am »

Please check our wiki.

shirmlk

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:47 am »

So I read some of CCCP and DirectVobSub, my question is whether it can affect subtitle issue i have in DNLA server or it is relevant only to local MC client

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 11:33:17 am »

The current situation with regards to subs over Media Network is as follows:

If the device supports separate subs via the .srt/sub file in the same directory and the video is NOT being converted, we supply the .srt/sub file in the DLNA content directory and serve them if the device requests them (requires DLNAExtra set and may, depending on the device, require present subtitle resources or present caption resources set).

Since we changed conversion for MPEG2/DVD and MPEG2/PAL DVD from ffmpeg to our own conversion, the .srt/sub files in the same directory are NOT pulled into the converted video. This is a known shortcoming.

Finally from a MC server to a MC client, library server is used, not DLNA (in version 17 and most of 16 IIRC). This also does not support separate subtitle files, the subs would need to be embeded in the video file to be playable (and the MC client playback setup would have to support the embeded subs, one could try playing the same file on the client locally to test this).

Shay_mt

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »

managed to do it again - uninstall all codecs, reboot and install CCCP.

Hi dlxneamtu
Can you please describe what options did you selected in the DNLA advance option ?
Also what you exactly installed ( CCCP... something else?)

Thanks in advance

uptaker

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:08:40 am »

I am having exactly the same issue.
I have a simple setup: 2 MC's, one in main PC (containing all videos) and one in my notebook (acting as a client). Using MC 17 Beta on both (but tried with latest MC 16 as well)

I noticed it is really using Library Server (in my notebook MC, I select my main PC library and click "Load library").
And the recent change in "always convert" option is not encoding the subtitles in the video as well.

I can display the subtitles on both server's and client's MC, if I play the file locally (with a .srt file with the same name, in the same directory)

So, the conclusion so far is that there is currently no way to display subtitles across 2 Media Centers, right?

Thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 11:31:56 am »

I am having exactly the same issue.
I have a simple setup: 2 MC's, one in main PC (containing all videos) and one in my notebook (acting as a client). Using MC 17 Beta on both (but tried with latest MC 16 as well)

I noticed it is really using Library Server (in my notebook MC, I select my main PC library and click "Load library").
And the recent change in "always convert" option is not encoding the subtitles in the video as well.
The DLNA options and conversions are used for DLNA only. When you are using 2 MC's you are using Library Server and MC plays files across Library Server unconverted.
I can display the subtitles on both server's and client's MC, if I play the file locally (with a .srt file with the same name, in the same directory)

So, the conclusion so far is that there is currently no way to display subtitles across 2 Media Centers, right?

Thanks
If the subs are in separate files (.srt, etc) you are correct. This is an area we are working on.

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 10:56:32 am »

This is an area we are working on.
Good news ! Do you also intend to improve the external subtitle files management ? Import, display in views, renaming (maybe using new specific stack features ?), etc.

Raph

uptaker

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 02:31:40 pm »

Just FYI, for those who have a simple PC to PC setup like me and are having issues with subtitles, I was able to watch videos with subtitles using DLNA, by using Mezzmo as the DLNA server (which sends subtitle info in the URL) and using XBMC Media Player for Windows (which seems to be the only Windows Media Player that can read subtitles from a DLNA device).

I will give MediaCenter more tries in a few months though, because I liked it very much.

tks

Shay_mt

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 01:23:03 pm »

This is an area we are working on.

looking forward to...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 03:00:00 pm »

This thread covers a lot of topics, but this change coming in 17.0.68 (and newer) is relevant:

NEW: The subtitle engine supports sidecar subtitles when playing from a Library Server.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Shay_mt

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 09:06:06 am »

Hi

Try to understand, the subtitle engine supports sidecar subtitles when playing from a Library Server is a different from the subtitle engine of DLNA server? I checked the new version (17.0.68) and It's seems to be works fine when i use MC to MC :)  but it still doesn't work when i use MC to my TV  :(

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 01:25:21 pm »

Hi,

I used to have subtitles working some time ago (CCCP + separate .srt file with the same name as the movie) but did not watch movies for a while. Now I wanted to have subtitles working again, and guess what - it's gone...

Strangely enough, I CAN see subtitles for two movies that used to work before (separate .srt file) but I cannot for the rest of my movies. How is this possible? Is it working or not?

Since this has been working in MC16, can anyone recommend what MC16 version one can downgrade to? For me MC is almost useless if I do not have this feature working.

Thanks a lot,
Dan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 01:32:16 pm »

Hi,

I used to have subtitles working some time ago (CCCP + separate .srt file with the same name as the movie) but did not watch movies for a while. Now I wanted to have subtitles working again, and guess what - it's gone...

Strangely enough, I CAN see subtitles for two movies that used to work before (separate .srt file) but I cannot for the rest of my movies. How is this possible? Is it working or not?

Since this has been working in MC16, can anyone recommend what MC16 version one can downgrade to? For me MC is almost useless if I do not have this feature working.

Thanks a lot,
Dan

Are you talking about playback in Media Center or with a DLNA device?

Media Center uses sidecar subtitle naming rules documented here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65418.msg438518

SRT is fully supported.

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 12:52:38 am »

I was talking about subtitles over DLNA. I use Sony BDV 880 as player and always transcoding enabled as well as DLNA and show subtitles resources option. CCCP installed 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 10:47:16 am »

I was talking about subtitles over DLNA. I use Sony BDV 880 as player and always transcoding enabled as well as DLNA and show subtitles resources option. CCCP installed 
As far as I can tell, the Sony devices don't support separate subtitle files so you'd have to transcode.

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40:17 pm »

Hi Bob,

I am transcoding, always have. This issue is driving me nuts, especially that I had it working in MC16...

Thanks,
Dan

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 06:43:59 am »

Bob,

You mentioned:

"Since we changed conversion for MPEG2/DVD and MPEG2/PAL DVD from ffmpeg to our own conversion, the .srt/sub files in the same directory are NOT pulled into the converted video. This is a known shortcoming."

So I believe this addresses the issue I am seeing, where subtitles are not present even if I transcode the video. Can you confirm this? Can you also indicate what MC16 version we can go back to in order to have subtitles shown when transcoding?

Thanks,
Dan

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 08:49:15 am »

Bob,

You mentioned:

"Since we changed conversion for MPEG2/DVD and MPEG2/PAL DVD from ffmpeg to our own conversion, the .srt/sub files in the same directory are NOT pulled into the converted video. This is a known shortcoming."

So I believe this addresses the issue I am seeing, where subtitles are not present even if I transcode the video. Can you confirm this? Can you also indicate what MC16 version we can go back to in order to have subtitles shown when transcoding?

Thanks,
Dan

I think the wires got crossed.

If you use our native video conversion (only MPEG2/DVD and MPEG2/PAL currently), subtitles will be burned in.

The video converter uses the same system as playback for deciding if it should show subtitles (Options > Video). 

So you either need to set the options to show subtitles, or you need to play the video on the computer and pick the subtitle stream, after which the converter will use the same selection.

dlxneamtu

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 09:04:55 am »

ok - it seems to be working now (transcoding). all I did was to install some divx and xvid codecs by accident as I needed the for another software. I thought CCCP would include everything necessary, but it seems not.

thanks for the help

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 09:24:41 am »

There should be no need to install any codecs with Media Center.

Just use Red October Standard (the default in Options > Video), and you're done.

Also, the subtitle engine is part of JRiver, not external.

Anyway, glad it's working :)

shirmlk

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 02:52:14 am »

NEW: The subtitle engine supports sidecar subtitles when playing from a Library Server.

Is this already fixed ? I am using 17.0.82 and still don't have subtitle on my TV.

Shay_mt

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »

Is version 18 fixing this issue ? (Subtitle over DNLA)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 02:20:06 pm »

Is version 18 fixing this issue ? (Subtitle over DNLA)

If you transcode and you've selected the subtitles when playing IN MC, then they will be burned into the transcoded video over DLNA. This should work on the latest 17 as well as 18.

joechip

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 06:30:20 pm »

Not sure if this topic is still valid, or if I should post a new one, but here it goes.

So, I am running MC17 and MC18. I'm using them as DLNA servers, primarily to send movie content to my Samsung TV (LA40D550K7MXXY).  I normally do not transcode (MC is set to "never convert"), I have enabled DLNA and DLNAextra, as well as present caption and subtitle resources.  The server/client relationship works correctly with sidecar subtitles (.srt) as long as they are properly named and in the same folder as the source movie.  Similarly, the system works fine with embedded subtitles if I set the servers to transcode ("always convert") as it hardcodes the default subs to the transcoded stream.

What I'm wondering is if Media Center is supposed to allow embedded subtitles to work over the DLNA network without transcoding?  At this point I haven't been able to get the TV to present any subtitle options or to show subtitles under this scenario (using embedded subtitles).

Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 12:59:55 pm »

Not sure if this topic is still valid, or if I should post a new one, but here it goes.

So, I am running MC17 and MC18. I'm using them as DLNA servers, primarily to send movie content to my Samsung TV (LA40D550K7MXXY).  I normally do not transcode (MC is set to "never convert"), I have enabled DLNA and DLNAextra, as well as present caption and subtitle resources.  The server/client relationship works correctly with sidecar subtitles (.srt) as long as they are properly named and in the same folder as the source movie.  Similarly, the system works fine with embedded subtitles if I set the servers to transcode ("always convert") as it hardcodes the default subs to the transcoded stream.

What I'm wondering is if Media Center is supposed to allow embedded subtitles to work over the DLNA network without transcoding?  At this point I haven't been able to get the TV to present any subtitle options or to show subtitles under this scenario (using embedded subtitles).

It doesn't appear that most devices allow one to get embeded subs out of non-converted content. You are rather fortunate that it supports the sidecar subs if you want to stream unconverted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up