INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request for MC17 - Automagic song lyrics importing  (Read 25035 times)

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
Feature Request for MC17 - Automagic song lyrics importing
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:19:40 pm »

Hi,

I have an idea that I'm not sure anyone has come up with or mentioned in this forum yet (I'm probably wrong)...

I am a freak when it comes to tagging my music with 500x500 album art and lyrics.

Currently, the Find Album Art on Internet feature is amazing - 9 times out of 10 there is a perfect 500x500 cover found!

However, I have had to find and copy/paste the lyrics myself.

It's a painstaking process and I think that MC can be made smart enough to go to certain sites that allow copying of the lyrics (http://www.lyricsmania.com/ for example) and pasting them into the Lyrics tag field.

Hopefully others agree (especially at JRiver)!

Cheers,
Kwake

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request for MC17 - Automagic song lyrics importing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:46 pm »

You may want to consider this...

The best solution I'm aware of is the one described here—using a foobar2000 plugin to get lyrics from LyricWiki and write them to the file tags.

It seems unlikely the developers will take on the task of creating and maintaining scrapers for lyrics sites intended for personal use. An integrated solution would be better, but the foobar2000 solution is very good. The only additional effort involved is using Send To to send tracks to foobar2000, and then Update Library (from tags) to update the lyrics it found.

Raysy

• Recent member
  • Enjoy yourself!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:51 pm »

MiniLyrics is another way, but the plugin for MC is not that good. And it only accepts the bin of the lastest version. So no old MediaCenter13.exe or beta MediaCenter17.exe. You could try to rename that executable file... Automatic lyric finder integrated in Media Center would be great. Would love it!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:58:12 pm »

I think the main problem is that those Lyric sites often either:

A) Get sued out of existence.
B) Actively try to disable scrapers (because they want the Ad Views).

So if JRiver spent a bunch of time developing a stable scraper for some particular site, and then that site vanished overnight (or blocked access) they'd have a bunch of wasted time.

Developing the Lyrics system themselves is a good way to get sued for copyright infringement.

It would be nice if YADB contained user-sumbitted lyrics.  I'm not sure if it does.  I haven't tried in a long time.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:29:18 pm »

MiniLyrics is another way, but the plugin for MC is not that good. And it only accepts the bin of the lastest version...

MiniLyrics works fine (such as it is) in any version of MC. "Show" it using MC's Plugin Manager. It will then start with MC. Disable MC in the MiniLyrics setup to stop it from starting an incorrect version of MC.

jgreen

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:48 pm »

I agree that the Cover Art from Internet function of MC is superb.  However, the lawyers have something to say about lyrics, and what they say is, "we're trying to make back the money on lyrics that we lost on songs".

FWIW, the JRiver crew are a bunch of Cowboys and with a little pushing would likely offer lyrics, at their own peril.  Is that worth the risk to our beloved MC? 

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:02:58 am »

Hi, just a question.
I can't find a way to show lyrics in MC, is it possible without using external plugins like MiniLyrics?

Thanks

Bye!

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 05:10:50 pm »

I can't find a way to show lyrics in MC, is it possible without using external plugins like MiniLyrics?

Something like MiniLyrics is only required for displaying synchronized lyrics. Unsynchronized lyrics are saved in [Lyrics] and can be displayed like any other field. In Standard View, add a column to a view. Mousing over the column will show the lyrics in a tooltip. For a fixed display, open the tagging window and select [Lyrics]. The resulting window can be expanded to the full height of the left panel ("tree"). In Theatre View, add [Lyrics] to a File Info Panel (configured at Options > Theatre View > Customize file info panel...)

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:06:32 pm »

Thank you!!

Any hope to see in the future synchronized lyric displaying embedded in MC?

Bye

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 08:03:35 pm »

Any hope to see in the future synchronized lyric displaying embedded in MC?

Whatever hope I'm hanging on to is really really faint. This helps me cope. ;)

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 05:19:17 am »

It's better than nothing... :)

Thanks

Bye

Andrea

Bye!

Andrea

flac.rules

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 06:38:11 am »

Minilyrics, frankly, is a program i would rather avoid. I am not so keen about it. I think what MC should do is support viewing synced lyrics in a proper way, and we should rely on plugins to get the info.

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 06:10:06 pm »

I think what MC should do is support viewing synced lyrics in a proper way,

That would be nice, but I doubt it's even on the "good intentions" list.

and we should rely on plugins to get the info.

But if the display of synchronized lyrics were supported, what "plugin" would you use to get them?

flac.rules

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 04:30:13 am »

Well, I'm not a developer, but implementing a proper support for displaying subtitles in the tags doesn't seem like that much work. HOw people fetch that metadata is beside the point as I see it, MC supports a lot of metadata it doesn't fetch itself.

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 01:45:27 pm »

Well, I'm not a developer, but implementing a proper support for displaying subtitles in the tags doesn't seem like that much work.

I'm not sure what you're implying. Are you saying because the developers are able to provide support for displaying subtitles associated with video, providing support for playing synchronized lyrics should be easy? I don't think you have to go looking for any evidence of the developers' capabilities. They're capable. But I doubt adding support for synchronized lyrics would be "easy." If it were, it would have been done long ago.

HOw people fetch that metadata is beside the point as I see it

It's not beside the point if no one has synchronized lyrics. My question was straightforward. If I didn't use MiniLyrics, I don't have a clue where I would get the synchronized lyrics from. Where do you get yours from?

flac.rules

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 01:17:04 am »

I'm not sure what you're implying. Are you saying because the developers are able to provide support for displaying subtitles associated with video, providing support for playing synchronized lyrics should be easy? I don't think you have to go looking for any evidence of the developers' capabilities. They're capable. But I doubt adding support for synchronized lyrics would be "easy." If it were, it would have been done long ago.

It's not beside the point if no one has synchronized lyrics. My question was straightforward. If I didn't use MiniLyrics, I don't have a clue where I would get the synchronized lyrics from. Where do you get yours from?

Thats a weird assumption, just because something is reasonably easy to implement doesn't mean it has been added before. Easy or not easy, everything costs time, and the program can't have an unlimited amount of features, no matter how little work each one takes. That being said, something are more time-consuming to implement than others. Lyrics are just another tag in the file. The program already has a "tag-engine", it's only about viewing some text, I would not think that is a very time-consuming task.

I guess minilyrics is the best source for synchronized lyrics, but the problem with the program is using it to display the lyrics. Writing the lyrics with minilyrics isn ideal, but better than having to have a weird overlay when displaying them.

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 01:48:02 am »

To summarize, then...MiniLyrics is the best source for synchronized lyrics. It works with MC, but using a "weird" overlay—so it would be preferable if MC would play them natively. Considering JRiver has said nothing about doing so in years, there's no telling when such a feature will be implemented, if ever. So, in the meantime, using MiniLyrics might be a sensible thing to do.

fabien44

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:17 am »

How to display oin Theater View the embeded lyrics for audio files?

rick.ca

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 01:21:42 pm »

How to display oin Theater View the embeded lyrics for audio files?

The file information displayed in Theatre View is completely configurable—using Options > Theatre View > Appearance > Customize file info panel... Select the Audio template, add [Lyrics], and indicate how/where you would like it displayed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up