INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off Topic-To JimH  (Read 1909 times)

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I would just like to say...
Off Topic-To JimH
« on: May 21, 2002, 01:46:28 pm »

Noticed from an earlier post, that you were listening to "Diana Krall". Jazz afficionado are we? I have as just part of my jazz collection, all eight of her albums, including the yet to be released Japan Bonus CD.
I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Off Topic-To JimH
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002, 01:59:40 pm »

Hi Terry,
Yes on Diana, yes on jazz, but a neophyte compared to some around here.  Harry the Hipster is for me what Bill Evans was for him.  Except the habit.

Maybe someday, we'll set up a jazz corner here.  There's Jazzwolf.  Who else?

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Holden

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2002, 03:31:59 pm »

I'm a jazz fan too, but like with any style, there are some that really move me while some turn me off. I have most of Krall's CDs, and many of Billie Holiday's whom I think is one of the greatest. Enjoy older bands like Duke Ellington, Count Basie, and Benny Goodman. Then there's Dixie such as Pete Fountain who I thoroughly enjoy.

Of course, as mentioned in another thread, I'm crazy about Bossa Nova and Jobim, Getz, etc. One of my recent discoveries has been Salena Jones with her Jobim album. Excellent.

Louis Armstrong always reaches me as do so many others. Can't get too much of music and MJ.

Harry the Hipster

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2002, 03:36:06 pm »

gvag is another one, but dunno where he disappeared to.

Also, depends what habit yr talking about. Still have some antisocial ones, just not illegal. Getz had the nastiest habit. Made his first wife (Beverly Stewart) into a junkie, turned on a lot of younger impressionable musicians. NANG (Not A Nice Guy).

Funny how some of the scummiest characters made the prettiest music. Ben Webster too. Carried a knife and was known to use it when he was drunk, which was about 87% of the time.

HTH

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2002, 06:04:24 pm »

Nice to know we are in such great company. Duke & Count Basie are standards in my collection. Listen to a lot of Blues too. Among that genre, the King is the best.(personal opinion) don't want to step on any toes.If you haven't heard it yet, give a listen to the one that he and Eric Clapton did together.(Riding with the King). Absolutely fantastic album.
I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.

sekim

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2002, 06:19:20 pm »

Skinnyfatz,

I recently bought several boxed sets of various blues artists. They are mostly older songs that have, I believe, been recorded from vinyl. Some of the artists....

Lightnin' Hopkins

Joe Williams

Leadbelly

B.B. King

Dinah Washington

Lena Horne

Eddie " Clean Head " Vinson

John Mayall

Some day I'll get around to listening to all of them. Next Page

shelly

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2002, 06:32:02 pm »

Very much a jazz and Brazilian music fan.  Holden, I just special ordered 3 of Salena Jones cd's, including the Jobim.  She has a great voice and style.  It's unfortunate that she's not known in the states.  

Have any of you seen the new Krall DVD?  It's one of the best music DVD's I've seen to date - outstanding photography and audio.

Anyone else a Metheny fan?  We've followed his career from the beginning and wouldn't miss a concert.

Listening to: 'Afternoon (Pat Metheny)' from 'Speaking Of Now' by 'Pat Metheny Group' on Media Jukebox

Shelly

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2002, 06:34:01 pm »

MH, I don't believe I could make it through the day, without listening to at least a few minutes of B.B. King or Diana Krall. Kinda sets the tone for the day ya know, course being an audiophile don't help much at work, cause in my line, they kinda frown on it.

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2002, 06:37:23 pm »

Shelly, if you're talking about the Japan Bonus DVD, it hasn't been released yet. Although I do know a couple of people that have it, myself included, and you're right it's fantastic.

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2002, 06:47:05 pm »

Love it all and go though phases.  Like a kid in a candy store at EMusic.  Right now I'm in an Evans and Brubeck phase.  Was playing with Evans is to Bach as Brubeck is to Beethoven, but that's not quite right.  Someone help me out.

Harry--I remember Sinatra at the Rustic Cabin, and we had our high school proms at the Meadowbrook.  Ralph Flannagan played at ours.  The class before was Ray Anthony.

Jazzwolf

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2002, 07:16:57 pm »

Hmm.. Let's see, There is Miles Davis and Miles Davis and Miles Davis and Miles Davis and...
Well, you get the picture. The man was a genius, the personnel in his bands reads like a who's who of jazz: John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderley, Herbie Hancock, Tony Wiiliams, Wayne Shorter, Joe Zawinul, Jon McLaughlin etc.. He studied Under Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie and he changed the face of music a few times. Never get tired of listening to him.

Let's also not forget Louis Armstrong as it all came from him!

shelly

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2002, 07:23:20 pm »

Skinny, I wasn't aware of the Japan bonus DVD. I ordered the Diana Krall - Live in Paris (2002)when it was released a couple of months ago.  I could watch it over and over and not tire of it.  

Shelly

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2002, 12:31:38 am »

Like Holden and many fine folks on the interact I'm a Jazz fan but I also like
Rock'n Roll, Tropical Music, Chanson française....

some of my favourite jazz artists :
Keith Jarrett, Stephane Grappelli, Django Rheinardt, Kenny Baron,
Stan Getz, Miles Davis, George Benson, Earl Klugh,
Spyro Gyra, Ray Charles, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Man Tran,
Sarah Vaughan, Michel Petrucciani, Bill Evans,  Herbie Hancock...
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2002, 02:21:21 am »

just found a Off Topic,so i rush!
I have a smoth spot for vibes-Hamton-Emil Richard-Carl Trajer and others
Do have a lot of Blue Note
Miles Davis,Gato Barbieri
But ,first of all,Free Jazz.By the way ,with time,most of the free jazz is easy to listen today
Roland Kirk-Ornette Coleman-Albert Ayler-Anthony Braxton-Archie Shepp.And the ones i love best ,Sun Ra-Art Ensemmble of Chigago-Pharoah Shanders-Eric Dolphy

I cannot listen to any kind of brasilian music.It makes me down,depress,after a while listening to it,i feel sad
Weird i know

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2002, 03:02:43 am »

Tullio - Meadowbrook and Rustic Cabin - wonderful names from the past. Never got there, but heard lots of airchecks from places like that.

Even up in N. New England we used to get Duke Ellington, Basie, Woody Herman on tour. As recently (?) as the early 70s saw Woody's band at a wonderful old ballroom set out at the end of an amusement pier overlooking Lake Winnepesaukee in NH.

Find myself listening more and more to vocalists: Karrin Allyson, Stacey Kent (v. big in the UK, not well known here), Judi Silvano. Have a soft spot for vocalese - wordless scatting that simulates an instrumental solo. Silvano does a lot of it.

Am one of the 11 people in the civilized world who still listen to Tristano and his school. Influenced both the West Coast musicians (Shank, Baker, etc.) and also early Miles and Gil Evans, etc. Bird loved Lennie's music.

Also dig early r&b (Otis, Wynonie), cabaret (Ute Lemper), art rock, opera (Wagner - music, not politics), Afro-Cuban and Latin. Really just about anything that is original and rooted, not derivative.

HTH

Listening to: 'Shekere Agent Man' from 'La Perfecta II' by 'Eddie Palmieri' on Media Jukebox

Jazzwolf

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2002, 04:31:24 am »

>>But ,first of all,Free Jazz.By the way ,with time,most of the free jazz is easy to listen today
Roland Kirk-Ornette Coleman-Albert Ayler-Anthony Braxton-Archie Shepp.And the ones i love best ,Sun Ra-Art Ensemmble of Chigago-Pharoah Shanders-Eric Dolphy<<

I love Jazz but Free Jazz I never warmed up to ESPECIALLY Ornette Coleman. I always get a feeling that he is pulling one over us. After awhile I have to take off the turntable and/or CD Player. It just gets on my nerves with all the screeching and howling. John Coltrane started going off in his later years but that work was really powerful. It was like he saw a wall and was trying to break through it but Ornette.. I just don't know. I've always come away wondering if he knows how to really play that darn saxophone.

Alonso Nefarious

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2002, 05:32:29 am »

HTH>>> Really just about anything that is original and rooted, not derivative.

What he said.

Ella Fitzgerold, Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughn
Cesaria Evora
Josaphine Baker
Ellington, Basie, Oscar Peterson, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkens, Clark Terry
Early Bird, Early Miles...
Sinatra, Dean
Batacumble, Angelique Kidjo, Fela Kuti

HTH>>> Funny how some of the scummiest characters made the prettiest music.

IOW does character count or doesn't it?  Is the flip side of saying it does deciding to like or prefer inferior stuff because the guy what did it is nice?

The natural world is like that, beauty and ugliness are profoundly intermingled, from the micro to the macro to the metaphysical.

Oy.  Enough of that.

Listening to: 'Rosita' from 'Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster' by 'Coleman Hawkins & Ben Webster' on Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up